Arctic 2010 Exped attendees discussions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Leonidas

Settler
Oct 13, 2008
Briton
www.mammothblades.com
Any idea of the flight costs return to London?

I've shopped around and ironically BA appear to be one of the cheapest....
I have already booked London Heathrow to Oslo return ticket via BA and it cost £234 all in..

For the OSL to BDU leg I have approached Norwegian airlines for a group deal for 10 or more people flying the Oslo to Bardufoss leg as detailed in my earlier post above....

I'll post details when I get a response.

Tom.

peve3

Sep 21, 2009
Basingstoke
I found the following prices through SAS this seems to be the best prices around plus you get a further 2% discount if bought using quidco.

London Heathrow Apt - Oslo
Adult 90.40

Oslo - London Heathrow Apt
Adult 70.70

Service fee 2

163.10Total 163.10 GBP
The total includes:
Taxes and
fuel surcharge
incl. VATvv 79.10

Not sure if this direct link will work:

https://bookings.flysas.com/sasinte...llowAction=AirSearchAction&time=1254244967532

Have looked at group booking also and a discount can be arranged for more than 9 people.

If we can work out the best prices around and then we do a group booking im sure we can bring prices down further. :cool:

Leonidas

Settler
Oct 13, 2008
Briton
www.mammothblades.com
Hi Peve - Yep I looked at these flights, they are great prices but the flights do not synch up with the all important Oslo to Bardufoss leg :(

The reason I opted for BA flights is they are pretty much back to back with the Oslo to Bardufoss legs AND the same airport....so it means an overnighter / hotel is not required.

Just checking to ensure you caught the flight times with SAS... :rolleyes:
The flight prices you mention relate to an outbound flight from heathrow departing either:-
13th Feb (Saturday) 0720 or 1730 which means a 16 > 26 hour stopover as the
14th Feb 2010 at 19.25pm (Is too late for a 14th Feb connection)

If you took the above into account, great, if not I hope it is not too late to amend the logistics.

How we all get to Oslo is down to personal preference, hope we can get enough folks on the Oslo to Bardufoss group booking though.
The timing of this flight gets us to Bardufoss around 30 minutes before we are meant to rendezvous at arrivals. Given it is a small airport / plane, this should be appropriate timing to get our luggage.

FYI - Do you know Norwegian charge 4 Euro if you check luggage and have a discounted flight.....I've asked them to review this charge (BOTH WAYS) for the group booking, they also charge another 4 Euro each way to select your seat....
I'll be at the back of the bus :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Tom

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Guys,I've got to ask, have you got yourselves holiday insurance? We've not got 16 yet and it can only run when we hit 16 people coming which means that it might not happen, it all depends on numbers, that's the key figure to make it viable.

We've said a number of times to make sure you're covered just in case something goes wrong which could be anything from a family issue to there not being enough people.

Think about it before booking flights etc.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Would it be worth putting out a call to the BCUK community Tony?
I guess we should hold off booking flights untill we have 16 on board!?
How far off are we?
Cheers.
Chris.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I would, unless people get their insurance before that, i'm sure that covers things like flights (although individuals would have to check) It's not a lot of money and it would cover for the whole ot if anything happens. If the holiday insurance covers it book away.

We need another 6 to make it run, there's a number of people that have been sent info, we're just waiting to see what comes back.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Sure there will be mate, I think( tho. I could be wrong!)
that Tony is talking about flights ( if the trip is called off.)
Fingers crossed!
Chris.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Yep, that's absolutely right Chris, it's very unlikely but if it does happen my concern is that people are paying for flights and they need to be covered for that, not just in case we cancel but in case something happens that was unforeseen, such as a family member getting ill, or even yourselves having a problem somewhere. It's not a lot of dosh to make sure that there's gong to be no loss, if people ahve covered themselves then there's no issue with getting flights now.

that make sense?

Leonidas

Settler
Oct 13, 2008
Briton
www.mammothblades.com
Hi Folks - Thought it might be useful to share what I have put in place etc so folks can opt to do same or otherwise.

The insurance I took also covers the course fee just for added piece of mind, however as Tony has already mentioned the course fees are covered as per T&C's.

Please do not let any misunderstanding around flight costs or risk put you off this wonderful opportunity.
There is a very cost effective way (£14.75) to alleviate exposure to cancelled flights etc.
PS...I have no affiliation or connection to any insurer, I work for HP :rolleyes:

Keep in mind there are multiple components to this exped that create a chain of events.
Flight form UK to Oslo
Oslo to Bardufoss (BDU)
The weeks events
BDU to Oslo
Oslo to UK​

I have made extensive enquiries and subsequently taken insurance out that not only covers the usual.....medical, baggage, but also that all important cancellation etc....

Things to keep in mind when taking insurance.
If one component breaks down will the insurance cover the balance of events?
The short answer is....even good insurance will only cover some of them, but there is a cunning plan afoot....

Here is a summary of what I insured for

First and last leg of journey (UK to Oslo return flights) Covered
Oslo to BDU NOT COVERED, If you find ANY insurer that will insure a connecting flight good luck :)
However! The cunning plan to mitigate this part....
If we do the group deal for Oslo to BDU via Norwegian we only need to provide a deposit then pay 30 days prior to departure, so anything untoward occurs up to 14th Jan 2010 the only exposure is 'approx' £40 deposit.

Cost of travel insurance that covers the usual medical / baggage plus cancellation / curtailment was £14.75 (which includes £2 usual virtual robbery via booking fees etc)
I have asked for a group discount scheme, they need 10 people for this and is gives 5% discount.....
For 10 people covering NO pre existing medical conditions the price is £110 inc IPT
For 10 people and covering pre existing conditions STC the price is £142 inc IPT
If 10 or more folks are interested let me know and I'll have the insurers contact you directly.

If anyone is interested let me know...but bear in mind it is not a kings ransom so don't sweat it :lmao:
Insurer are insureandgo.com
To be clear....there are other travel insurers from £5.99 BUT I have spoke to several of them....the cancellation I was looking for was not covered. Only things like the airline going bust etc is covered under standard cancellation policies (Read small print).

Anyone need any help with insurance or logistics or kit or AOB let me know I'll help if I can..for mysteries of the universe I reserve the right to defer to Steven Hawking :lmao:

UPDATES
NORWEGIAN GROUP BOOKING
As some of you know I've approached Norwegian for a group deal on the Oslo to BDU return flights (as posted earlier in this thread), their quotes are higher than the prices we can get from the internet.
i.e. the group quote comes out at £164 per person at today's exchange rate (They quote in DK) Important to note this includes 2 pieces of luggage of max 20 kg per piece per person, in any case they also allow 1 piece of cabin luggage, max 10 kg (55x40x20cm)

A flight booked today on the web costs £121.....however there is an additional £8 charge (£4 each way) for one piece of checked luggage...
I do not mind paying a little more to secure more checked luggage etc if others are interested.....if there is no interest in the group booking please let me know asap and I'll cancel the enquiry.

LIFT TO HEATHROW
The offer of a lift to Heathrow airport from North Hampshire (Bordon or en-route) for a flight departure of 0720am or later, is still available. I have room for three plus gear.

GEAR
I have a couple of Arctic sleeping bags and Bivvi's, they are available to borrow if required.

Best to everyone
Tom

Gailainne

Life Member
I've tried quite a few variants on a theme, this is the best I've come up with if you are flying from Scotland;

KLM 14 th Feb;

05:55 Edinburgh - 08:30 Amsterdam
10:20 Amsterdam - 12:10 Oslo.

That only leaves an 1 hr and 5 mins to catch the connection to Bardufoss :eek: Remember that will probably mean collecting your rucksack and booking it in again, I've still to check if KLM will do a bag transfer to another carrier.

Return; Two choices;

KLM 20th Feb, Very tight, you land at 16:05, again that may be possible if Norwegian do bag transfers to other carriers.
16:55 Oslo - 18:55 Amsterdam
21:10 Amsterdam - 21:40 Edinburgh

KLM 21st Feb
10:00 Oslo - 12:10 Amsterdam
15:05 Amsterdam - 15:35 Edinburgh
NB I'm not sure why it takes 2:35 to get to Amsterdam from Edinburgh but only 00:30 to return :confused:

I prefer the flight on the Sunday morning, not rushed, Saturday night in Oslo :cool:

Cheers

Stephen

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Tom you totally deserve beer (and/or wiskey) for your troubles mate!
Put me down for whatever you are doing (I will travel up to Heathrow from the west country)
Tony,are we good to go yet! (numbers wise)? There was a post on the other thread from some new Cat saying 'this trip is full' (New full member from Canada I think!)
Cheers all ,talk soon.
Chris.

Leonidas

Settler
Oct 13, 2008
Briton
www.mammothblades.com
Another piece of essential equipment that is useless.....until it is needed, then it is priceless, literally.

The EHIC European Health Insurance Card

In another Exped thread it was advised that folk obtain one of the above EHIC cards.
I can only report upon UK process being a UK resident, our friends living outside of the UK will need to check arrangements with their respective health authorities.

The following is for guidance only, it is the absolute responsibility of each individual to ensure they obtain a EHIC and the appropriate level of additional medical insurance.

They (EHIC's) are free and take literally 5 minutes on-line to obtain. You will need your National Insurance (NI) number.
Whilst applying I also applied for an EHIC for the missus, the same basic info is required and I'm assuming you can recall your partners birth date....oooops :lmao:

What is it?
Essentially the EHIC is a card that allows you to receive the same basic level of state medical care afforded to that countries residents. (Provided state medical care exists in that country!)

A little more info taken from the on-line UK EHIC site.
EHIC is not a substitute or replacement for private travel insurance.
Does not cover the costs of private healthcare or services that are not part of the state healthcare system.
Does not cover the costs of being brought back to the UK.
The card may not be used in some regions, as there may be no state provided healthcare available.

The EHIC is normally valid for three to five years.
Covers any medical treatment that becomes necessary during your trip, because of either illness or an accident.
Gives access to state-provided medical treatment only, and you'll be treated on the same basis as an 'insured' person living in the country you're visiting.
Remember, this might not cover all the things you'd expect to get free of charge from the NHS in the UK.
You may have to make a contribution to the cost of your care.​

Where to get it
Apply on-line here

Most folks absolutely do not leave home without a credit or debit card, look upon this as your European basic health card....

Cheers
Tom

Leonidas

Settler
Oct 13, 2008
Briton
www.mammothblades.com
UPDATE
NORWEGIAN GROUP BOOKING (Oslo to BDU return)

As some of you know I've approached Norwegian for a group deal on the Oslo to BDU return flights (as posted earlier in this thread), their quotes are higher than the prices we can get from the internet and Norwegian will not budge on the group price they quoted.....and I'm not inclined to waste any more time on the matter :nutkick:

Summary
Group booking
£164
Includes - 2x20kg checked luggage and 1 x 10kg cabin luggage

Upside only 20% deposit now with balance no later than 30 days prior to flight.
Downside £24 more expensive

Book your own directly
£121.30 (Today, price may increase closer to departure date)
Includes - 1 x 10kg cabin luggage (No checked luggage)
Checked luggage £8 return per 20kg (2 x 20kg 'max' would be £16)

Upside is £24 cheaper
Downside needs payment in full at time of booking​

In essence the group tariff is £24 per person more expensive than the equivalent individual tariff (£32 if you only check 1 x 20kg piece of luggage)
For a group of 16 that is £384 + which may equates to a sled outing, couple of hot tubs or similar activity :)

If all in favour I'll drop pursuit of the group deal in favour of our booking the Oslo Bardufoss return leg directly :rolleyes:

Cheers
Tom

barryasmith

Oct 21, 2007
Herts
UPDATE
NORWEGIAN GROUP BOOKING (Oslo to BDU return)

As some of you know I've approached Norwegian for a group deal on the Oslo to BDU return flights (as posted earlier in this thread), their quotes are higher than the prices we can get from the internet and Norwegian will not budge on the group price they quoted.....and I'm not inclined to waste any more time on the matter :nutkick:

Summary
Group booking
£164
Includes - 2x20kg checked luggage and 1 x 10kg cabin luggage

Upside only 20% deposit now with balance no later than 30 days prior to flight.
Downside £24 more expensive

Book your own directly
£121.30 (Today, price may increase closer to departure date)
Includes - 1 x 10kg cabin luggage (No checked luggage)
Checked luggage £8 return per 20kg (2 x 20kg 'max' would be £16)

Upside is £24 cheaper
Downside needs payment in full at time of booking​

In essence the group tariff is £24 per person more expensive than the equivalent individual tariff (£32 if you only check 1 x 20kg piece of luggage)
For a group of 16 that is £384 + which may equates to a sled outing, couple of hot tubs or similar activity :)

If all in favour I'll drop pursuit of the group deal in favour of our booking the Oslo Bardufoss return leg directly :rolleyes:

Cheers
Tom

Tom,

I am one of three going on this. We'll be going from Heathrow so count us in on your planning if you dont mind. PM me if you want my number. Barry

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE