Archaeologist looking to save money in the Midlands, Burton-on-Trent??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jun 10, 2014
United Kingdom
Hi everyone!

First time poster here, so I'll provide a short introduction :)

I'm a recent graduate of Archaeology at the University of Bradford and I'm going to be working on a site in Barton-under-Needwood, I've been into bushcraft for quite a few years but being a student meant I didnt have much time to partake in the most excellent of hobbies. Accommodation is between £80 and £100 a week but because I'm going to be paying rent up north as well as working away I'm wondering if any of you think it would be feasible to set up a camp somewhere near Alrewas/Burton-on-Trent. It would allow me to save all that lovely money up AND practice my bushcraft skills.

Ideally somewhere I could be incognito although I've got no problem packing up everything when I head out to work in the mornings.

Cheers guys,
Nick.

Jun 10, 2014
United Kingdom
I've had a look on Google and its images, looks like the ideal place really albeit a little dangerous perhaps - there are signs and apparently a fence restricting the area, you wouldn't happen to have any personal experience with the site would you? Thanks,

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Ideally somewhere I could be incognito although I've got no problem packing up everything when I head out to work in the mornings.

Would prefer to wildcamp, I'll have a lot of free times in the evenings and it's around £15 per night on most sites

Unfortunately this forum doesn't support or encourage wild or stealth camping without the owners permission or unless it is in places where it's allowed like Scotland and certain parts of Dartmoor.

That, added to the fact that most folks on the forum who do do it would rather keep their sites to themselves means you should either start knocking on doors looking for permission somewhere or bite the bullet and pay for a campsite instead of asking folks to go against forum rules.

Grotzilla

Nomad
May 5, 2014
United Kingdom
I've had a look on Google and its images, looks like the ideal place really albeit a little dangerous perhaps - there are signs and apparently a fence restricting the area, you wouldn't happen to have any personal experience with the site would you? Thanks,
Yes the actual crater is off limits due to unexploded bombs but there is plenty of woodland on the way to the crater which I have camped in before

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

paulds

Sep 28, 2016
Manchester
Unless the dig is in an urban area I would've thought that "volunteering" to stay at the dig site overnight provides extra security

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE