Hey from Darlington, County Durham. (Soon to be on the road in Scotland)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

LIONHEARTJH

Jul 20, 2015
On the road
Hi Guys,

Totally forgot to do this when I signed up a few days ago but HEY!

For those that haven't seen my discussion in "Out and About", I'm currently planning to go and live as a wild camper in Scotland. I will be working for a few hours once a week on an estate to help me earn some money to allow me to live but besides that, I will be going everywhere I can think off in my time out there.

I'm not going until another few weeks so if anyone from the North-East or surrounding areas fancies a trip out in the woods then feel free to get in touch as I'm definetly up for it.

Thanks,

Jamie

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Indeed they do have a great way of looking at it don't they! As for the weather, there is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing!

LIONHEARTJH

Jul 20, 2015
On the road
Indeed they do have a great way of looking at it don't they! As for the weather, there is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing!

They do! That's a good saying. I prefer the storm weather and heavy rain anyway so I could say it's 'good' weather for me

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
I have to admit I do see the appeal of that weather too, makes finding fresh water a mite easier! Shame I'm out of action for a while or in would have gladly joined you locally for a cuppa round the campfire

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

LIONHEARTJH

Jul 20, 2015
On the road
I have to admit I do see the appeal of that weather too, makes finding fresh water a mite easier! Shame I'm out of action for a while or in would have gladly joined you locally for a cuppa round the campfire

Definitely! Well mate, if you ever hop back in, send the smoke signal and a few days later I might rock up at your camp ;)

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Certainly will! And hopefully you won't have gone totally feral by then. The missus jokes about worrying I'll do that, a joke laced with genuine concern

LIONHEARTJH

Jul 20, 2015
On the road
Certainly will! And hopefully you won't have gone totally feral by then. The missus jokes about worrying I'll do that, a joke laced with genuine concern

HAHA, I hope not. I hope I don't end up on the floor of a bothy either like a guy in 2012. (Apologies if that offends/disrespects anyone that reads this)

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
People think because it's the UK and not Alaska it's safe, but we still have environments that try and kill you at every turn (try out dartmoor!) hypothermia is a bitch, and I'm speaking from first hand experience there! Invest in an emergency can of mountain house or similar freeze dried food, quick and easy to prepare something warm and filling. And flares are a good shout for when it hits the fan

LIONHEARTJH

Jul 20, 2015
On the road
People think because it's the UK and not Alaska it's safe, but we still have environments that try and kill you at every turn (try out dartmoor!) hypothermia is a bitch, and I'm speaking from first hand experience there! Invest in an emergency can of mountain house or similar freeze dried food, quick and easy to prepare something warm and filling. And flares are a good shout for when it hits the fan

Yeah, Ive researched all the local emergency services and what they recommend carrying but a flare was on my mind too. I was looking at just buying things like that but they're quite expensive considering I could buy bags of pasta or rice which would last someone like me a few days and they are cheap. But I'll definitley keep a few for any situation which arises. Don't want to get left in the middle of no where with no food.

I agree, I've seen some deadly weather in the UK and when it does come it hits hard. And people make a mockery out of these UK preppers and survivalists.

MT606

Nomad
Jan 17, 2013
North of the southern wall.
how do...
Having seen Darlo in daylight only ;) and having just been shafted by Durham city's traffic gestapo whilst parking my motorbike in an unobstructing way with another motorbike and a small van and no 'no parking signs' 'works vehicles only' or double yellows about etc, I wholeheartedly encourage you in your endeavour to get the foook out of county durham ;) I may well be joining you north o the wall in a few months time but in a solid walled abode ;)

m

Last edited:

LIONHEARTJH

Jul 20, 2015
On the road
how do...
Having seen Darlo in daylight only ;-) and having just been shafted by Durham city's traffic gestapo whilst parking my motorbike in an unobstructing way with another motorbike and a small van and no 'no parking signs' 'works vehicles only' or double yellows about etc, I wholeheartedly encourage you in your endeavour to get the foook out of county durham ;-) I may well be joining you north o the wall in a few months but in a solid walled abode ;-)

HAHAHA, I totally agree! :D Feel free to visit my tent ;)

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Yeah, Ive researched all the local emergency services and what they recommend carrying but a flare was on my mind too. I was looking at just buying things like that but they're quite expensive considering I could buy bags of pasta or rice which would last someone like me a few days and they are cheap. But I'll definitley keep a few for any situation which arises. Don't want to get left in the middle of no where with no food.

I agree, I've seen some deadly weather in the UK and when it does come it hits hard. And people make a mockery out of these UK preppers and survivalists.
I carry white pen flares for night time and fog use, about £15 for launcher and 6 flares but got mine free from a mate who works at sea. And 2 enola gaye orange smoke markers for daytime use they're about £3 each (don't test them in the garden, the neighbors won't thank you mine didn't) work brilliantly. Rice and pasta are a good idea stuff you can keep in the bag and hopefully not need to use. I'll never get people that decry survivalists and preppers, I don't qualify myself as either but keep a bug out bag and have accidentally aquired pretty extensive survival knowledge so maybe people would call me that lol

LIONHEARTJH

Jul 20, 2015
On the road
I carry white pen flares for night time and fog use, about £15 for launcher and 6 flares but got mine free from a mate who works at sea. And 2 enola gaye orange smoke markers for daytime use they're about £3 each (don't test them in the garden, the neighbors won't thank you mine didn't) work brilliantly. Rice and pasta are a good idea stuff you can keep in the bag and hopefully not need to use. I'll never get people that decry survivalists and preppers, I don't qualify myself as either but keep a bug out bag and have accidentally aquired pretty extensive survival knowledge so maybe people would call me that lol

May seem stupid, but would someone actually react to the sight of a flare?

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Yes definitely. But they're more for use once you've phoned emergency services to help them locate you. If nothing it will attract the attention of someone half official even if you haven't phoned first

LIONHEARTJH

Jul 20, 2015
On the road
Yes definitely. But they're more for use once you've phoned emergency services to help them locate you. If nothing it will attract the attention of someone half official even if you haven't phoned first

Good point. A slong as someone saves me... hopefully they won't need too

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Sounds like you have a plan well mapped out, I hope you'll be doing a write up of sorts, maybe if your taking a bit of a smartphone you could do a blog ?

All the best from an ex Darlo lad :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE