Arborist's Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
which one do they recommend is the question

for diving i use a blunt tip serrated blade so you can easily cut webbing strap rope and fishing line without stabbing the person your cutting out
i would assume similar but as im not a tree monkey or know much about it could be there's better specialized kit you tutor should point you at a a few or show you what they use at least

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
a friend of mine uses this in his kit

tt720.jpg

http://www.buxtons.net/petzl-sparth...arborist-general-tools-knives-and-multi-tools

charlieh

Apr 26, 2010
Staffordshire
the petzl is the one carried by most arb's as you can clip on a small carabiner so its easy to access, it should be located so its accessable with one hand ideally.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
the petzl is the one carried by most arb's as you can clip on a small carabiner so its easy to access, it should be located so its accessable with one hand ideally.

How easy is it to deploy and use? I would think the crab could actually get in the way.

I wonder if most arbs use one because other arbs use it? what do your tutors recommend?

I would be tempted to get a ukpk rescue with a kydex sheath that would hold it in the open position on your belt/harness/wherever. No worry of struggling to unfold it when needed in an emergency but nice and secure. Spyderco serrated edges are the nuts - it's what I would want if my life depended on it! When going home / accidentally leaving you kit in the car, there'll be no legal issue having it on your person as it's a slipjoint.

WoodMan

Forager
Jan 18, 2008
Norfolk
Sorry to go against the grain (no pun intended) but I think most arborists would simply use a silky saw to cut a rope in an emergency. Very few, myself included back in the day, would ever climb without one as they are so useful for light pruning. Glyn.

charlieh

Apr 26, 2010
Staffordshire
How easy is it to deploy and use? I would think the crab could actually get in the way.

I wonder if most arbs use one because other arbs use it? what do your tutors recommend?

I would be tempted to get a ukpk rescue with a kydex sheath that would hold it in the open position on your belt/harness/wherever. No worry of struggling to unfold it when needed in an emergency but nice and secure. Spyderco serrated edges are the nuts - it's what I would want if my life depended on it! When going home / accidentally leaving you kit in the car, there'll be no legal issue having it on your person as it's a slipjoint.

a fair amount use the petzl as its common knife suplied but lots of the equipment dealers, spyderco also do some really good knifes as they will cut webbing etc quickly I cant say i have seen anyone using a knife in the open position in a sheath etc, .

Sorry to go against the grain (no pun intended) but I think most arborists would simply use a silky saw to cut a rope in an emergency. Very few, myself included back in the day, would ever climb without one as they are so useful for light pruning. Glyn.

silky's should come with their own first aid kit attached! i have only nicked myself a few times luckily very small cuts but they are so sharp, i have the F180 and a sugoi which is particularly brutal if it comes in contact with you.

jorn

Forager
Aug 26, 2011
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands
silky's should come with their own first aid kit attached! i have only nicked myself a few times luckily very small cuts but they are so sharp, i have the F180 and a sugoi which is particularly brutal if it comes in contact with you.

That does happen with the SIlky saws. But i find it does not happen to me very often anymore. Make sure your hands or any other uprotected part of your body is not in line with the branch your cutting and you shouldn't have any problem. Silky saws should be treated with similar respect as a chainsaw.

Woodsman is right though, it's much quicker to grab your silky. And it works! Try cutting a piece of rope when it's under tension and you'll get quite a wake up call. Make sure you're attached on two points hen using it.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
If the knife is there to cut rope and webbing then that might well be rope and webbing close to your body. Would use a silky for that?

I had a look at a petzl once, wasn't impressed with the edge. But it opened one handed easily enough, was light, and it would take on and off a crab one handed.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
IMG_0446.jpgUsed one of these for nearly 20 years. Light but solid and cuts a dream. Also available in orange and red.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
How's about a Petzl Spatha?

Why not ask the climbers what they use over at http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/

They're not very good. Standard issue at our place of work. Everyone uses the hole to attach the knife and then can't get it off when needed.

Nobody does a rescue knife like Spyderco. There are a range from the UK legal UKPK version (a little pointless to have a non locker in what could only be described as reasonable circumstances), through various others. Worth a look, but Spyderco prices have shot up recently due to the weak £. You could put an advert on BritishBlades or here for one as a lot of people buy rescue knives, but don't actually use them.

I'd put some links in, but I'm short on time. Google is your friend.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Not sure about one handed opening when you trapped and stressed.
Mora Safe? Mora Companion Serrated?

One handed opening is quite a good feature to have when the other is clinging to a rope or buddy. Essential in fact.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE