Arborist's Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Sorry to go against the grain (no pun intended) but I think most arborists would simply use a silky saw to cut a rope in an emergency. Very few, myself included back in the day, would ever climb without one as they are so useful for light pruning. Glyn.

Yep. Cuts tensioned rope like its not there

Also muscle memory will have me reaching for the saw on my calf long before i remember where the bloody hell that knife is dangling ftrom my harness somewhere

Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Sorry to go against the grain (no pun intended) but I think most arborists would simply use a silky saw to cut a rope in an emergency. Very few, myself included back in the day, would ever climb without one as they are so useful for light pruning. Glyn.

Absolute rubbish. So, you've attached your wounded buddy to your own harness and loosed his rope so yours takes the weight of the pair of you. Then you're going to try and cut slack line with a Silky with a bloke right in front of you. I wish you luck, and hope his extra stitches heal fast. Those Silkys leave a bit of a raggedy cut too. :confused:

I did tree rescue every Friday for 4 years, a Silky might cut taught rope, but not well. And most tree rescue involves getting an unconscious climber out of the tree.

Last edited:

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I've never done tree rescue, but that was my thought.
Also, a razor sharp many-inches long silky; much risk of cutting the wrong rope or strap, I would have thought.

Give me a short blade in those circumstances, please.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Chaps you have noticed that this is a thread from 2011? The OP hasn't been on here in nearly a year.

Maybe he has been hanging off a tree, hopelessly entangled, since his last post?

My question of a folder was a sensible choice before a fixed blade is that a folder can be dropped while opening?

I have zero experience in climbing trees since I was maybe 14? Have employed pros to do this job since I bought my first house with a garden.
Some jobs, like tree cutting and branch thinning are best done by professionals.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Maybe he has been hanging off a tree, hopelessly entangled, since his last post?

My question of a folder was a sensible choice before a fixed blade is that a folder can be dropped while opening?

I have zero experience in climbing trees since I was maybe 14? Have employed pros to do this job since I bought my first house with a garden.
Some jobs, like tree cutting and branch thinning are best done by professionals.

When in a tree, particularly amongst Ivy and dense branches, a fixed blade can easily be hooked out of its sheath, as has happened to my sheathed Silky on occasion. There's also a problem with snagging during ascent, not to mention the possibility of getting stabbed during a slip or fall. Despite a folder being a pain to remove from a pocket, especially with harness straps, a secure one handed opener is the best option.

Old thread it may be, but I have to challenge some of the views ;)

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Even an old thread can bring good info!

I see the point having a folder now.
It is a very dangerous job. My old Assistants husband Drew used to do a bit of tree and hedge cutting.
Once his ladder started sliding while he chainsaw cut a very high hedge in Crowborough., he fell forward against his chainsaw. Protected his face/neck by grabbing the chain with his leather glove clad left hand.
The surgeons at East Grinstead hospital puzzled his hand together well.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers, useful to know about why a folder is a better idea when there's stuff that could pull a fixed blade out.

Looking at the marketing again the fixed blades do seam to be aimed more at the rafting/. Yachting market and to a lesser extent the flyers where there's less chance of the thing being pulled out and a whole lot more chance of drowning. I think that's what attracted me to the bear claw at the time, that and I was buying a lot of CRKT stuff at the time, still think I have 4 or 5 bits by them although I only ever use the neck peck now and again, the rest are now drawer queens.

ATB

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE