Arachnophobia

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
The Harvestman name came about at university, when I objected to being called spiderman all the time, and I suggested Harvestman as an alternative as I'd just found a new species of Opilionid (Harvestman to the uninitiated) to the UK.

Am I allowed to say that ichneumons are bl**dy difficult? ;)

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
At my middle seventies, I have not yet trained myself to overcome my phobia of the big house spiders, partly because they can move so fast. Ican however handle the wee fat ones, after some practice, as long as I have my sleeves rrolled up. I hate the idea of them getting under my clothes. My father used to come up in a big swelling if bitten by a spider and that was what put me off of them. I had a real fit of the giggles when reading Chimpyleon's thread. Best laugh I have had in ages.

Ichneumon

Nomad
Jul 4, 2011
Lancashire (previously Dartmoor)
I'm sure my father would have agreed with you when I was in my teens. :)

I expected that the subtlety of my nickname, and yours, would be well understood in this community, oh dear - wrong!!

Does the new species have a Latin name after your own?

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Does the new species have a Latin name after your own?

No. Some swine saw fit to prove that the species was already known from continental Europe, and thus had already been named Centetostoma bacilliferum, which doesn't exactly roll off the tongue. It sort of gets stuck halfway and then tears loose instead.

Hey ho!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE