April foraging

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
So what are you foraging this month?

The beginning of Spring, shoots budding out, annual plants pushing there way out of the warming soil. Grass taking on that lushness which makes you want to go and buy some fresh organic butter :)

Here, we are in the south of France, in a department called the Aveyron, yet not with the same warmer, temperatures as the Med coast. The village is at 450m above sea-level and local hills up over 1,400m. So our weather tends to be colder and drier in winter and hotter and drier in summer, with a short spring and autumn transition. It tends to be 2-3 weeks behind the UK in the Spring but heats up quicker when it comes.

This year everything is late here, with it still being in a cold snap and snow still falling on the hills above 1200m; but I can just feel all the plants bursting with sap, ready to explode into life, and paint the valley every shade of green at the merest hint of warm sunlight :)

So far for some fairly limited walks it has been Chickweed (Stellaria media) for the salads together with young Hawthorn (Crateagus monogyna) shoots (or what we called 'bread 'n no cheese' as kids) for salad and general snack out walking; young Nettles (Urtica dioca) for soup and stew and tea; Wild Garlic (Allium ursinum. 'L’ail des ours' or 'Bears Garlic' as they call it in France) and Garlic Mustard (Alliaria petiolata, jack-in-the-hedgrow etc popping up nicely for those great flavours, leaves rubbed on toasted crusty bread sprinkled with some coarse sea salt, olive oil and rubbed with tomato for a nice quick croustini. Makes great pesto too :)

Wild Garlic Pesto

Ingredients:
1 large handful wild garlic leaves, well washed and patted dry
(as an option add a touch of wild mint and/or wild thyme)
2 tablespoons pine nuts
1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed (optional)
1 cup olive oil
5 tablespoons of parmigiano reggiano cheese, freshly grated
coarse sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste.

Method:
Ground the wild garlic, pine kernels, garlic and olive oil in a pestle & mortar is best but OK in a food processor. Add in the cheese and taste, add salt and pepper as required. Store the pesto in a sterilised jar in the fridge.

We do not have much pine right here but loads of walnut trees everywhere. Try substituting the pine nuts with walnuts or an interesting variation.

Wild leek (Allium ampeloprasum) which is really lovely flavour, milder than wild garlic and really like gardens leeks but more flavour. You get the same species in Wales and it is the true Welsh 'leek' . The ancient King of Gwynedd, Cadwallon ap Cadfan, is said in AD 633, to have given leeks to his men to wear on their hats to distinguish them from their saxon foes. I suspect it was the globe shaped flower heads they actually wore, rather than shop brought leeks which are a recent import seen today ;)

So lots of garlicky onoiny flavours... nice :)

Simon

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
I had a good forage about yesterday afternoon around my local tramping ground... and its deffinatly spring :) Everything is commin up well.

Same as you I found the hedge garlic beggining to get there.... I'll harvest next month and be on the look out for ramsons, nettles are shootting up, the dandilions are all over the place in full flower. The hawthorn has just started budding here, but budding fast so I guess they'll be in full bloom by may.

Also came accross bistort ... some in flower all ready, the rest are getting there and a huge patch of marsh marigold.... though be careful with these as they contain helleborin and should NEVER be eaten uncooked.

Its looking lovely out there .......

:)
Ed

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Things are a little behind up here in Scotland, but here's a few things I've been harvesting:

Ramsons (wild garlic) - lots of it all over the place
Nettles - just getting big enough to collect the tips for soup/beer
Gorse Flowers - for tea and winemaking
Birch Sap - just finished tapping a lot of trees (once I get the photos I'll post a thread on how this works). Again for wine-making.

I also managed to collect a few cups of elderberries last week - however, this was a very confused little elder tree! :confused:

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
match said:
Things are a little behind up here in Scotland, but here's a few things I've been harvesting:

Ramsons (wild garlic) - lots of it all over the place
Nettles - just getting big enough to collect the tips for soup/beer
Gorse Flowers - for tea and winemaking
Birch Sap - just finished tapping a lot of trees (once I get the photos I'll post a thread on how this works). Again for wine-making.

I also managed to collect a few cups of elderberries last week - however, this was a very confused little elder tree! :confused:
You can see how botanical names are useful as a universal language, with all the many and varied local names ;)

I always loved that smell of gorse flowers on a warm day. Smelling distinctly like coconut! Great colour in a salad.

Looking forward to the birch sap info. I would like to try making Birch Syrup too.

Scally

C.E.S.L Notts explorers
Oct 10, 2004
uk but want to emigrate to NZ
just got back from a lovely tramp through a ancient woodland and found some lovely cramp balls and a fantastic badger set which i will re vist at some stage soon to hopefully get a glimpse of the wee beasties. as for the fauna some lovely nettles wild garlic and nettles.

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
Ramsons fried on toast, nettle soup, salade de pissenlit (dandelions, don't eat too many :eek: ) hawthorn salad.

Cleavers/goose grass just starting to show, cattails sprouting, but I tend not to harvest from our local canal...

...and I found a load of oyster mushrooms on a fallen log.

Bounty of Spring, innit? :D

Jim.

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
Moonraker said:
Looking forward to the birch sap info. I would like to try making Birch Syrup too.
Hey, that's a great link MR, Thanks !!!
But 100 gallons of sap to make 1 gallon of syrup and they collected 43,500 gallons of sap :eek: it kind of puts my 2 gallons of sap in the shade doesn't it? Still at least I've still got 2 gallons of Birch sap wine bubbling on the windowsill now :D

Cheers,
Martin

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Pretty much the same as you guys, nettles, goose grass, ramsons. The jack by the Hedge is just about to flower. Spotted some comfrey so I'll try the deep fried recipe from food for free. And I don't particularly like Hawthorn, I find it dry and it catches in my throat.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Been out and about several times this week, I got ransoms, hawthorn, lesser celandine, sticky willie, early fat hen, bittercress, nettles, heartsease (makes a wonderful honey scented tea), ladies smock, young dockens, dandelions and new mint leaves. The heather flowers are great for tea just now too. My birch sap is meading away nicely in the kitchen. I want to try the Nettle beer recipe too; but this working for a living is interrupting my gathering :( Hmmm

Cheers,
Toddy

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Never had sticky willie! Don't mod me, I haven't heard of that one, you got a latin name for it Toddy?

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
hahahah

good scottish name for goosegrass or cleavers

dont mod me either but its the plant with all those tiny little balls that get stuck in the dogs coat

Galium aparine?

can be stringy when older but Richard Maybey says plunge in boiling water for a few seconds or steam

actually i like the name sticky willie, it describes it so aptly

Tant

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
I've a vague memory that when I was a wee boy the plant we used to call Sticky Willie was actually Burdock... We made a game out of sticking the seed head onto the other wean's clothes.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:eek: :eek: ooops, sorry.
Never gave it a thought. It makes a good ointment for insect bites too, just rub it into a green mush in your hands and add a little fat or oil. Works well with comfrey too. It's just a tasty munch (no comments now!) this early. Masses of it about this year though.

Toddy

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Ah! thanks, goosegrass is pretty good when it's young. There's loads of it this year down here too.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
This early, they're soft and tasty. Good on bread and butter with a bit of cheese, maybe a few whorls in a salad. A little later and they're a good 'spinach' or help add to soup or stew. I use the seeds to make historically authentic blackhead pins, and I rub later leaves and stems up to pulp in between the palms of my hands and mix with a little fat or oil for an ointment that soothes insect bites, seems to work on that d*****d pest, the midge and as part of a mix for an ointment for dry skin problems. If collected before it seeds the tea is good for easing swollen glands or cystitis (*don't* use if your kidneys aren't up to scratch....acts on the urinary system), and is a good de-bloater. It dries fairly well too and I get a good yellow and a pale bluey-green dye from it too.

Cheers (I miss the tea cup smilie :( )
Toddy

ronsos

Forager
Dec 10, 2004
cheers toddy-think I might try it in a lasgne tomorrow instead of the usual spinach ,not very bushcrafty I know but it will be worth it to see the look on the weans faces.The midge repellent sounds interesting too.Should sticky willlies be reclassified in the genus 'Innuendo'?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
ronsos said:
cheers toddy-think I might try it in a lasgne tomorrow instead of the usual spinach ,not very bushcrafty I know but it will be worth it to see the look on the weans faces.The midge repellent sounds interesting too.Should sticky willlies be reclassified in the genus 'Innuendo'?

:D
I got loads of fresh stuff from the gardener at Stirling castle yesterday, he was howking the stuff out of his borders, where it was rampant.

I fed over 100 kids sweeties made from mint and nettles, rose and beetroot and orange and onion today. Only told them what was in them afterwards ;) They said they were delicious but by the time I got to ink I think they'd cottoned on.

My sons used to pretend that the sticky willie juice was camouflage paint, but it soothed the midgie bites, even the ones on the scalp.

Cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE