April foraging

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
W

whistler

hi new guy to everything here. Really enjoying the Sticky Willie thread a few questions if you don't mind.

I Confused by the Burdock and Goose Grass ref which is the sticky Willie or are they both.
2.. I have always thought it a pest so now I gather you can:
a. Eat the leaves and stalk as a salad
b. when it gets older you steam all of it stalk and leaves for a spinach type wedge
c. You can nub the lot into a wish in your hands add ablate and or water and it eases insect bites

so when preparing is there any special process or is it that simple

whistler

W

whistler

sorry just read point 3.

should say

C. you rub it into a mush in your hands, add oil or water and it will ease insect bites etc

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Galium aparine. It's the long straggly one that clings to your hands, clothes and the cat! Cleavers or goosegrass. It is that simple too. Just eat it before it seeds else it's bitter, cheugh, and stringy. I'm not fond of it except when it's young and many find the stems too unpleasant. Cats and dogs sometimes eat it to help clear out parasites, I'm told.
http://www.countrylovers.co.uk/wildfoodjj/index.htm
has a recipe for a kind of kedgeree using it.
Cheers,
Toddy

W

whistler

Many Thanks. The links with pictures really help the really dense (me).

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Had a chance to get out and get some photos this afternoon. Hope they help.

Galium aparine. (Sticky Willie, Goosegrass, Cleavers etc. FR=Gratteron). Typical rambling habit through undergrowth.

nat-galium_aparine-01.jpg

Galium aparine. Detail

nat-galium_aparine-02.jpg

photographs: 21/04/05. aveyron, france

For eating best to pick in Spring and select the young tips of the shoots for a salad or nibble on the move. Say the first 3-4 whorls (sets of leaves).

You can also gather the seeds in August-October and roast to make a good coffee substitute. They have a bitterish flavour similar to chicory also used for the purpose but slightly more subtle.

Café Sauvage des Gratteron

In August-October, pick the seeds when still a bit green
Lightly roast (dry roast) and dry in a billy can over a flame.
Grind to a coffee ground size between two stones.
Add boiling water. Let it brew for around a minute then drink (or use a coffee filter)

The flavour is highly regarded by the French wild food guru François Couplan. He says you can discern the difference in flavour between different batches of seeds :)

Bon Appétit

Simon

W

whistler

many thanks. I have been out today and as you all have said once you have found it its obvious. Tried a bit and quite enjoyed it. Next have to find Burdock, I know its the one which slides to cloths with a shaggy look (found it in my field guide) but any other hints?

I am signing up for the wild food cookery course so hopefully will be able to contribute soon as well as being the preverbial sponge.

W

whistler

my apologies once again. I have a handwriting recognition program and am having a little problem with my handwriting and recognising my own mistakes. should read 'sticks to clothes`

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
whistler said:
my apologies once again. I have a handwriting recognition program and am having a little problem with my handwriting and recognising my own mistakes. should read 'sticks to clothes`
That would never work for me. I can't even read my handwriting so what chance has a computer got :eek:

W

whistler

I have only just started using this tablet style computer and it is supposed to learn my handwriting, it seems to be working. Less mistakes today than yesterday anyway. My only trouble is I cant read my own writing :confused: ! !

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I've ID'd a bunch of sticky willy, I knew the plant just not the name!

The missus bought some mixed stuff for a salad, pine nuts, sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds, and I really enjoyed them. Which species should I get pine nuts from, and when can I get them? Is this an autumn thing? I read that you hold the pine cone near a fire and they open up so that you can get the nuts, is this correct?

Cheers

Spamel

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
spamel said:
I've ID'd a bunch of sticky willy, I knew the plant just not the name!

The missus bought some mixed stuff for a salad, pine nuts, sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds, and I really enjoyed them. Which species should I get pine nuts from, and when can I get them? Is this an autumn thing? I read that you hold the pine cone near a fire and they open up so that you can get the nuts, is this correct?

Cheers

Spamel
The seeds brought as pine nuts in Europe are usually the seeds of the Stone Pine (Pinus pinea) also referred to as the Umbrella Pine (due to its parasol appearance when grown on a single trunk :) ).

Pinus%20pinea.jpg

A native of the Mediterranean region, but the seeds of various other pines are eaten in various parts of the world including the seeds of the Korean Pine or North American pinon tree (and imported here from China also). It prefers sandy soils and often found near the coast. They are very difficult to harvest, hence their cost. They become rancid very easily and should be stored in the fridge or freezer. 100g pine nuts contain 31g protein, the highest of the nuts and seeds.

Some nice info regarding pines producing nuts in the British Isles

Nut Pines

Many nut pines are hardy enough to include in windbreaks, like the dioecious (male and female flowers on different trees) monkey-puzzle tree, whose nuts may be used "like chestnuts". Nuts of many pinus species can be eaten raw or cooked, ground or whole, or a high quality oil can be pressed from them, when the residue is a good cattle feed. They have been eaten for millennia - those in the shops are nearly always Pinus Pinea (the Stone Pine). Most species do not produce nuts for 20 to 25 years, though Pinus Pinea starts at ten years old and P. Armandii at twelve. Some species' cones have to be heated to release the nuts, others are harvested by simply shaking the tree and collecting the nuts on sheets.

The Romans first planted P. Pinea in Britain as food for the troops, though like several pinus species which do well here this prefers the south of the country.

Shelling is not easy! Some suggestions:
Shelling Your Nuts
Needed: Two terry cloth towels and a rolling pin
1. Lay the soft-shelled pine nuts between the towels and roll firmly.
2. I have read, but not perfected the method of rolling with such persuasion that the shells stick to the terry cloth and pull away with the towel. Anyone with this degree of successes has perfected this method commonly used by Farming wives in the Southwest.

Another Method: Hold the pine nut , large end up between the thumb and the forefinger. Place gentle pressure on the shell while rolling between the thumb and forefinger. It is rather like, snapping ones fingers. We always recommend waiting to take off the soft-shell right before consuming the nut!

Good link for more info at www.PineNut.com

Good hunting! :)

Reactions: Toddy

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
spamel said:
Thanks Simon, any idea of what time of year they are ready?

OT: Any news on the elusive book?

Spamel
Some very useful info here about how the Native American Indians used to harvest and process the pine nuts

pinenuts1.jpg

The pine nut is large and an excellent food source. It is, however, relatively difficult to harvest and requires a substantial group effort to do so. The pine nut harvest began in the late summer and lasted into the fall. It was essentially the last big food-gathering opportunity of the year Before retirement into winter lowland quarters. It occurred at intermediate elevations in arid upland hills where junipers and pinions tend to grow. It was a significant social occasion, and most Great Basin people held these regions to be sacred ground.

Over the last two thousand years, the pine nut sustained these peoples. The pine nuts required substantial processing and, then, they could be stored for later use. and utilization of pine nuts required technological innovations. While nuts can easily be picked from the ground fallen cones of the pinyon pine (pinus monophyllia), they are rarely good for human consumption by that time and the crop has been substantially reduced by insects and small mammals.

The pine nut came to be a useful staple food because only after the people learned how to harvest the nut prior to the final ripening stage of the cone. The technology for achieving a pine-nut harvest was messy and complex, and it was practiced communally. In fact, pine-nut harvest defined the great social time of the year, being the greatest gathering of the people in the concentrated areas of sacred lowland pinyon forest. People went to the forests in the early fall before the cones had fully ripened and dropped. They began with "first fruit" celebrations that confirmed the sacred significance of the food and established their respect for the forests.

When harvest began, the men pulled cones from the trees using tools made from large willow branches equipped with a sturdy V-shaped hook at the end. Women and children piled the cones in burden baskets (usually large conical wicker baskets carried on one’s back with a cordage band across the forehead). At this point, the cones were just at the point of opening and were usually full of pine pitch.

In camps surrounding the forest harvesting grounds, the pine cones were processed. This began by roasting the pine cones around hot coals, turning them often, to cause them to open up. Then, the cones could be beaten lightly to cause the nuts to fall out. When a supply of nuts was available, these required further processing since the nuts were covered by a soft brown shell. Cracking this shell would be difficult and would injure the fruit inside The nuts were processed by placing them on a basketry tray with hot coals from the fire. Once introduced together, the whole mass was kept in constant motion, throwing them up and swirling the tray, until the shells were roasted to a hard, crisp dark brown. The coals were removed at this point and the nuts were poured onto a grinding stone where they were lightly pounded with a mano until all of the shells had cracked and falled free of the inner fruit.

Cracked pinenuts are yellow-orange, translucent and soft. They can be eaten at this point and are delicious. Far more pine nuts were harvested than could be eaten raw so they needed to be processed further. At this point, the nuts were returned to a winnowing tray and thrown repeatedly into the air to allow the cracked shells to be carried off by the wind. When the shells were all gone, hot coals were returned to the tray and the roasting process was repeated until the nuts were dry and hard, somewhat darker in color.

At this point, the nuts could be stored in large basketry storage containers for later use. Dried nuts could still be eaten without further processing but the usual procedure was to make a pine-nut flour by grinding them. They were returned to the grinding stone and the mano was used to pound them lightly until they were well fragmented. Grinding was achieved with small amounts quickly so that the fine flour could be pushed off the metate forward into a bowl or onto a tray. A soap-root brush light be used to move the pine-nut flour on the tray. When enough flour was available, it could be warmed in water to make a thick paste; then the paste could be reduced, by dilution, to make whatever consistency was desired. While pine-nut mush may not sound especially appealing, addition of berries, various leafy vegetables, and/or ground meat or fish made it a feast.
source:http://www.pinenut.com/history.htm

Hard work! But I can only imagine the wonderful smell from the resin and roasting pine nuts :)

Think I will spin this info off to another thread.

ps I got an email back on the RM book. Finally confirming that it was not available from the publisher as I suspected. Just had not bothered to take it off their list it seems :( sorry but at least I tried. Actually I found a new copy off Amazon seller for a good price (the 1995 edition) so I am a happy bunny :) and will let you know if I see any other reasonably priced ones going ;)

If you speak Italian I saw an Italian version for sale :D

Cheers

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
I have been seeing all sorts of useful plants for a bushcrafter popping up: Chickweed, cow parsley, dandelions in full bloom, nettles, lesser celandine, greater plantain, hawthorn and blackthorn beginning to bloom, Ground ivy, ramsons etc.

Now is a very good time of year to build up your knowledge of wild flora and plant identification, a good field book at this time of year is a must. I have been taking pictures of all the useful wild flora I have seen out and about and cataloging them into a database - hopefully this time next year it will be quite a substantial resource.

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Toddy said:
My birch sap is meading away nicely in the kitchen.

"Meading away nicely", what's that all about Toddy? I'm a big fan of Honey mead but didn't know you could make birch sap meed.... can you tell us how....please? ? ? :)

Many thanks,

Bam. :D

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
I'm new to foraging and having dusted off my copy of Lofty's book am completely lost as to where to start - everything looks like water hemlock. OK that's an exaggeration, but any suggestions for better books to get started? I can't seem to get past the constant paranoia of immediate fatal poisoning from the wrong berry!

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
food for free is a real good book and if you get the collins gem one it will fit in your pocket
leon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE