Aotearoa New Zealand

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 16, 2015
New Zealand
Gidday Everyone,
I'm Roady from Aotearoa (New Zealand). I'm a volunteer conservation worker, keen on tramping the hills, thinning out the pests and saving the bush and native birds. Thanks for having me.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hiya Roady,
Welcome to BCUK & the virtual campfire. Hope you have fun here and looking forward to hearing about your exploits in New Zealand. Sounds a great country to go tramping 'round. Never been but the books I've read and pictures I've seen make it sound like a brilliant place.
ATB,
GB.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Interesting youre a volunteer conservation worker. Do they have gamekeepers, or forestry commission wildlife rangers in NZ?
You know, to keep the population of deer down, for logging companies? Do you have large swathes of pine plantations for instance?
Ive only heard about the DOC in NZ.
Weve got close family friends in NZ. I'd love to do something like that out there, and love the idea that youre country is the same size as the UK but only has 4 million people!
Welcome.

Aug 16, 2015
New Zealand
Hi again, and thanks for the welcome. In answer to your questions; I live in Nelson which is located at the top of Te Waipounamu or more commonly known as the South Island. Blenheim is an hour and a half away over the hill in Marlborough.
Volunteer workers are becoming more common as our cash strapped Department of Conservation struggles to make ends meet. Doc controls noxious animals (deer, goats, pigs, stoats, rats, possums etc.) in State Forests and National Parks. We used to have government cullers but now it is contractors and volunteers. Doc have Rangers that look after our indigenous forests and also marine, reptile and bird life (and organize the volunteers and contractors).
I think I am right in saying that most pine plantations are now in private hands, often foreign. They usually control animals themselves (or don't bother). Roady

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE