Anyone want my recipe for..........

R3XXY

Settler
Jul 24, 2009
Crewe
Ok here it is, you will need quite a big pan because it makes a lot. I suppose you could half the amount of everything. My pan is 5" high by 10" across and it fills it about 3/4.

You will need:

Olive oil
Tin of peeled plum tomatoes
4 large fresh tomatoes
a coffee mug-full of red split lentils
an onion
three peppers of different colours
3 cloves of garlic
a chilli
dried basil and dried oregano
sea salt
black pepper
can of chick peas (optional but makes a complete protein with the lentils, and adds a sort of fibrous rustic texture)
Mild chilli powder
A hand blender (failing that a potato masher and a lot of elbow grease will do almost as well)
Potato masher

Pour a nice thick covering of oil over the base of the pan and put it on a very low heat, shake in the chilli powder so that there is a thin covering over most of the oil then shake it around or stir it in,

chop the garlic and chilli very finely and add it to the pan,

Dice the peppers and add them, turn up the heat a little till they begin to sizzle, let them cook for about 5 minutes then add the onion, finely chopped.

Turn up the heat a bit and get the whole mixture bubbling away nicely until the peppers just start to soften up.

Chop all the tomatoes and add them to the pan along with a generous pinch of sea salt and a generous teaspoon each of the dried basil and oregano, gently bring it to a slow boil then turn the heat right down and put the lid on the pan to seal in the flavour and keep the heat in.

Put the lentils into a smaller pan, rinse well until the water runs clear and then drain the water off add about a pint of cold water water, put them on a low heat and put the lid on the pan. The Lentils I use usually take about half an hour to soften and swell, you want to cook them very gently so that they don't turn to mush.

When the lentils are cooked add them to the big pan along with the water they were cooked in, mix it all up, put the lid back on and cook on a very low heat for another 45 mins, it should be oooooonly just boiling.

Now for the magic, this bit is very important, to get a good texture scoop out 2 or 3 ladel-fulls of the chunky mixture and put them in a bowl or pan or something, blend the rest of the mixture into a sort of mulchy texture, then take out half of that and keep that in a bowl or pan, blend what's left till it's nice and smooth, finally mix the three different strata together. This should give you a really nice texture, you might have to tweak it a bit to your own taste.

If you use the chick peas, cook them on a low heat for about 10 mins in half a pint of water, mash them in the pan then chuck them in right at the end.

Add a very small sprinkle of black pepper, as it should already be quite spicy.

Enjoy :D

Last edited:

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
serendipity, don't you just love it. SWMBO stays with family during the week as it's closer for her college and she'll be home tomorrow night expecting feeding, usually this isn't a problem but as i'm in the process of emptying the kitchen prior to moving house i have very little food in the cupboards. i've just had my supper and stood scratching my head for five minutes wondring what on earth i can feed her tomorrow night with the few tins and dried bits and bobs that i've got left. gave in and decided that it might have to be a take away. i sit down in front of my PC, first thread i click on is this one, the only thing i'll have to buy is some fresh tomatoes, and by the time i've made this soup the cupboards will be very nearly empty. you're a godsend mate, thank you very much.

stuart (wondering how R3XXY knows what's in my cupboards?)

R3XXY

Settler
Jul 24, 2009
Crewe
Glad to be of service shaggystu, might be worth nipping out for a few nice crusty bread rolls to really finish off the ensemble.

R3XXY

Settler
Jul 24, 2009
Crewe
Be warned, a couple of bowls of this and you'll be farting for Britain. It's quite incredible, if we all ate this every day we could solve the energy crisis in the blink of an eye :D

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Glad to be of service shaggystu, might be worth nipping out for a few nice crusty bread rolls to really finish off the ensemble.

i went to bed last night and phoned SWMBO to say goodnight, as is usual, and related to her the story of some bloke from crewe being able to somehow guess the contents of our cupboards and her reaction was something along the lines of "how strange, sound slike a nice soup though, i'll call and get some nice crusty cobs (roll, barm, bap, breadcake, call it what you will it's a cob round here) from tesco on my way home, they'll finish that off nicely" i'm a little scared now.

stuart

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
SWMBO and i had this for tea last night, it was absolutely lovely.
the local shop didn't have fresh tomatoes so i used two tins of canned tomatoes instead of one, and i added a smidgeon more chilli than the recipe called for (two birds eye, two nameless but quite mild, and hot rather than mild chilli powder) we like spicey.
thanks again for the recipe, it's a real winter warmer, i shall certainly be making it again.

stuart

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Tried this today and it was loverly, I cut down on the chilli and hot stuff as I'm not a fan of anything too "nippy" but this was great with just a hint of bite and great with with a couple of chunky bits of buttered french stick. Nice one mate I will certainly be doing this again

Calurix

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 12, 2010
Moray, Scotland
Great soup R3XXY,

I made it today, changed some bits (cayenne pepper as I had no chilli, and butter beans as I had no Chickpeas ) the thick soup was great, for some reason it put me in mind of a takeaway Indian sauce only better.

Regards,
Cal

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE