Anyone used Buffalo fibrepile kit in artic conditions?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Can anyone here comment on Buffalo kit in artic conditions? I've used their kit for Scottish winter climbing and it is well suited to this task. I use the lightweight Teclite salopettes and a Special 6 shirt. When inactive I add the Mountain Jacket and 2 pairs of pile mitts.

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
No, sorry - but I'd personally choose natural fibres (that's just me, I've no experience of the Buffalo kit).

Recent trip to Sweden included a night out where temps dropped close to -30. My layering was:
- bamboo t-shirt
- Woolpower 200g base layer
- Woolpower 600g jacket
- Swanndri bush shirt
- Endicotts dan-cam jacket
- Woolpower 200g leggings
- Fjallraven wolf hunter hydratic trousers

And I was absolutely toasty...

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
When I was in the Army some of the lads in my unit used them in Norway and they really liked them so I assume they were a good bit of kit to have for the Arctic conditions, I say that because IMO squaddies are probably some of the best critics for outdoor kit!

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
So wool, wool and a bit more wool.

No, sorry - but I'd personally choose natural fibres (that's just me, I've no experience of the Buffalo kit).

Recent trip to Sweden included a night out where temps dropped close to -30. My layering was:
- bamboo t-shirt
- Woolpower 600g jacket
- Swanndri bush shirt

And I was absolutely toasty...

Trango

Feb 1, 2011
Europe
- bamboo t-shirt
- Woolpower 600g jacket
- Swanndri bush shirt

What is the Woolpower 600 jacket like? I have the 200 shirt and 400 jacket (those thumb loops are great!) and I am considering purchasing the 600 for next winter.
Actually wish the 600 came as a vest.

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
Lovely piece of kit, very warm indeed - although I can't give a meaningful comparison with the others since that's all I have. My trip started in Ostersund so I hit the factory outlet and picked up a full set of kit for a knockdown price :D

Trango

Feb 1, 2011
Europe
That sounds like a great deal indeed cause good ol' Woolpower is pricey!

If I may suggest. Wear the 200 shirt on your bare skin. It will be much more efficient in moisture management - because of the tiny loops on the inside even when wet it doesn't feel wet to the skin. Your warmth will drive the moisture farther into the wool loops eventually passing to the next layer and evaporating. The whole point is instead of having the full area of a shirt touching your skin you rather touch thousands of tiny loop tops. Works wonderfully well.

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
I know, I know... My problem was we were dog sledding, and there are brief bursts of stupid exercise (i.e. when you fall off) followed by nice relaxing long runs. Found I was getting a little sweaty, and felt more comfortable with the t-shirt (hence the bamboo). Normally I wouldn't wear it.

Woolpower outlet was 40%-60% off high street prices, which made it well worth the bus journey!

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
PS - I know the actual solution to the problem is "Don't fall off". But that doesn't take into account an idiot novice musher (i.e. me) mis-rigging the gang line and rendering the sled completely unsteerable. Or having a wheel dog who won't behave. :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE