Anyone use a Garmin Etrex H?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

CAL

Forager
May 16, 2008
Barnsley (in Gods Own County)
Well Santa's been and left a GPS unit in the house...

We've been bought a Garmin Etrex H GPS unit and I'm just working out what I can and can't do with it. I've used a few GPS units before at sea but never for walking.

As its a green and black display, is it worth uploading waypoints or is it easier just to use it to confirm your position using OS grid references. I'm never going to be out without a map and compass so I'm thinking that is probably easier just to use it as a confirmation tool rather than for primary navigation.

If you do use one for navigation what software do you use? I've seen memory map and am impressed but to be honest i'm never going to pay out for those maps when I can buy the hard copies for a lot less.

Thanks,

Craig.

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
Morning Craig ,
just had the same one for the same reson , it wont replace my map and compass but will make a handy grid check when needed .
The etrex has been about some time now so must do the deed.
Got to go as im off to Cannock chase to give it a go.
Twodogs

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
I'll tend to use my GPS just for confirming a map reference, but it's useful to put in a couple of waypoints. I always take a "bookmark" where I've left my car - if all else fails it means I can get back to where I started if needed.

I use Anquet to plan routes and think it's great - you can print the maps on a colour printer, shove them in a plastic wallet and you're good to go.

Nov 16, 2009
Mitcham, Surrey
I use mine mostly to track the route I've taken (to upload to Googlemaps for future reference), spot checks, and also marking where the car is ;) I will sometimes put waypoints in - most often for geocaching.

galopede

Forager
Dec 9, 2004
Gloucestershire
I've had one for a couple of years now. I use it for geocaching. As Wallenstein says above, it's handy for finding your car again when you've found the cache! Just remember to save the position.

I'm very pleased with mine but I don't really ask as much if it as more dedicated walkers would.

Just remember to take a pair of spare batteries if you are relying on it. I have four rechargeables I use and they work just fine in it.

Gareth

apj1974

Nomad
Nov 17, 2009
Lancashire. UK
www.apj.org.uk
I too use mine for geocaching. I love it, simple and rugged. If you doing a long walk its worth uplaoding a few waypoints particularly lunch etc and then it will give you a good idea of how you are doing.

Also it will tell you sunrise and sunset which is useful.

Quarryman

Tenderfoot
Feb 16, 2009
Kernow
I too was lucky enough to have received an eTrex H from santa but can't seem to upload the disc manual.
Any guidance appreciated.

Many thanks,

Matt

unsponsored

Settler
Apr 6, 2009
North East England
I had an etrex summit and now have a foretrex 401. Essentially the same as the etrex but with an altimeter. I tend to use mine to confirm a fix, the bread crumb trail can also be useful! I used to download the track onto my PC/memory map. Now have a mac so don't bother with the downloads.

CAL

Forager
May 16, 2008
Barnsley (in Gods Own County)
Mine ran automatically but seemed to trigger the MS DOS screen (I'm using win XP SP3). If you use Windows Explorer to open the CD double click on START_HERE.html and it should open up a web page and allow you to open the pdf from there.

If that doesn't work send me a pm with an email address and I'll email you the pdf file (its only 844k), and if that doesn't work I'll post you a hard copy.

There nothing worse than not being able to get at some gadget instructions...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE