Anyone still use Muslin bags to transport their food?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tristar777

Nomad
Mar 19, 2011
North Somerset UK
Hi. Ive been reading some web sites on mountainmen and camping/woods living in the past. One of the ways they would carry the food in the pack , having no plastic bags or lunch boxes, was wrapped or carried in a Muslin cloth or bag. I know some re enactores use the method to be authentic, but wondered if anyone else did and what advantages/ disadvantages this method has?

Thanks for replies.:)

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Yes, sort of, I keep my bread in a linen bag.

The bread can breath so it doesn't become soggy as it might in plastic bag although it does dry out faster if I haven't put a decent crust on it.

:)

Tristar777

Nomad
Mar 19, 2011
North Somerset UK
Hi Sandbender.
Thanks for that. I was thinking about use with crusty bread and for short periods lumps of cheese. Where did you get your bag from? Im thinking of trying Amazon?

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Hi Sandbender.
Thanks for that. I was thinking about use with crusty bread and for short periods lumps of cheese. Where did you get your bag from? Im thinking of trying Amazon?

My wife's grandmother made it for keeping her bread in (about seventy years ago). :)

Try suppliers of jam jars and jam making equipment, muslin bags are common enough there. Linen you can pick up by the meter to make your own.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
aldi have muslin cloths on sale at the mo. Tescos sell them in the baby dept. I have used them when camping. They are a handy sieve if you need to do things like rosehips. Damp they can be wrapped around things like meat packs and keep it fresh [the meat was plastic wrapped as well]. i often cut a courner off the muslin cloth and it made into a bag, this bag can be hung from a tree to stop creepy crawlies and camp pests. I used to tie the weekend food up in a cloth to transport, it was just a way of keeping it all together.

lavrentyuk

Nomad
Oct 19, 2006
Mid Wales
I also use muslin for containing the cake when making cider. It can be bought in large squares for use nappies and mopping up baby sick of all things.

Handy stuff. Also makes a good bandage.

Tristar777

Nomad
Mar 19, 2011
North Somerset UK
Hi. I just got a roll of muslin from amazon, so im going to have a go making a couple of bags. Shouldnt be too difficult. (famous last words). Todays project sat in the sun with a beer!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE