Anyone seen Avatar movie?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stevesteve

Nomad
Dec 11, 2006
UK
I saw this in 3D and I was really impressed. I have seen IMAX 3D films and they tend to be designed so that you think "Whooa the dinosaur's in my lap!".

Avatar was a far more normal 3D perspective and I found it a very convincing effect, to the extent that I was not aware of it most of the time. It just felt right.

Cheers,
Steve

tytek

Forager
Dec 25, 2009
Leeds
I'm still trying to work out how the new 3D glasses work.
I know the lenses are polarised - get 2 pairs and overlap the lenses and rotate them and you will see the effect.
One lens lets in horizontal light and the other vertical - I just can't work out how they get it to work.

I've yet to see the film - snow has been a bit of a factor...

rivermom

Tenderfoot
Jan 19, 2008
Sligo, Ireland
Without the glasses I could tell it was 3D, with the glasses most scenes looked pretty flat to me. Whenever I did notice the 3D effect and tried to focus on something other than the main scene, say focusing on some leaves coming out of the screen, I just got a headache. Both eyes work but I wear glasses for short sight, cinema specs went over the top.

You are not alone in being unable to see the 3d effects. I can't see them either, and they give me a headache, which is why i did not go to a 3d version of the film. I am shortsighted, and have severe astigmatism, which is part of the reason that I can't see the effects. But the other part of it, the more important part, is the way i discern shapes.

Do you know those toys you can get for babies, where they have to put the rabbit shaped block in through the rabbit shaped hole. Well, i can't do that on first try. I know which block goes in which hole, I just have to keep turning it until i get it right way round.

So how are you with shape sorters?

ellis

Mar 19, 2009
Strood.
Hey y'all,

Went to see the new Avatar movie in 3D. It's an amazing movie and the 3D adds to it. Great story, great special effects etc but also, unlike many blockbusters, a great message too.

It makes its point very clearly about the industrial-military complex, globalization, and the treatment of indigenous peoples. From a bushcrafter's point of view it also makes some very good points on the destruction of the natural environment and traditional ways of living.

I'd recommend anyone to see it (all three hours of it) and I'm sure you'll all see what I mean.

M

could not agree more. Great film.

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
Excellent film, the 3D was definitely spectacular, I agree the story line sucked, but I really liked the concept and I hope it hits home the essential message.
Rory's right, it was basically a more explosive Ferngully... but a hell of a lot more people will see it :)
I have to admit I cried when the tree blew up :(

P.s. Ferngully was the first film I ever saw at a cinema ;)

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I'm still trying to work out how the new 3D glasses work.
I know the lenses are polarised - get 2 pairs and overlap the lenses and rotate them and you will see the effect.
One lens lets in horizontal light and the other vertical - I just can't work out how they get it to work.

I've yet to see the film - snow has been a bit of a factor...

They project two overlaying images into the screen, again using light that's polarised in differing directions, one eye only sees the one that's polarised horizontally and the other vertically, as the images are very slightly separated (the distance of which depending on the depth of field they wish to create) it fools the brain into thinking its a 3 dimensional image.

I should have really given it a go with the wrong lenses covering each eye for a while to see what my brain would make of that image but never thought of it at the time.
I'm guessing it would have given me two separate two dimensional ghost images instead of one three dimensional one

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
No thank you. I dont want my brain gouged out just yet.

And my film buff friends didnt think much of it.

Cute moral eh? If you LARP a nekkid 10ft tall, methane breathing dude, you will get to empathise with them.

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
It's not about cuteness, LARPing or anything else in that vein. It's about ecological devastation, the rape and pillage of land and basic rights for a living thing.

BushEd

Nomad
Aug 24, 2009
Herts./Finland
It's not about cuteness, LARPing or anything else in that vein. It's about ecological devastation, the rape and pillage of land and basic rights for a living thing.

it isn't really about that...

its about James Cameron trying to make a film (which probably cost more to make than most environmental charities have ever seen) that appeals to the sofa green audience, of which America is particularly populous with.

It's like Titanic 2, all style, and a slight err towards a substance it knows little about. Another excuse to put in enough shiney things to distract from the absence of script, plot.

Sorry if i'm offending, but i really thought that film was a bit of a hipocritical joke...

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Yup

Every sparefaring kiddy knows that miners tend to go for easy targets like metal rich asteriods, and radioactive but mineral abundant pulsars.

(And LARPers love to play at being blueskins...and if that annoys the real thing, so much the better.)

(at least my LARPing friends would)

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Who else here has seen "The Coconut Revolution"? http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1192286025577999101#

Striking similarities. I wouldn't put money on Cameron not having hear of it.

Tropical jungle paradise (Bougainville) invaded by an alien culture (Rio Tinto Zinc) only interested in the mineral resources under the ground. Locals rebel and fight off first riot police, then the Papua New Guinea army supported by NZ special forces and helicopter gun ships...starting with nothing but bows and home made weapons. The population was decimated, but continued on to withstand a seven year blockade and eventually make the mining company give up on the idea.

Transplant that to a fantastic alien world, up the ante for both the environment and the technology, and you are pretty close.

A fantastic and inspiring documentary and yes the similarities are striking.

The Coconut Revolution is also known as Bougainville: Our Island, Our Fight

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Yup

Every sparefaring kiddy knows that miners tend to go for easy targets like metal rich asteriods, and radioactive but mineral abundant pulsars.

(And LARPers love to play at being blueskins...and if that annoys the real thing, so much the better.)

(at least my LARPing friends would)

Err, so you haven't seen the film but didn't like it anyway?

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
LOTR spectacle, but the story was pretty thin by comparison. The graphics where more advanced, but simpler too in that they weren't trying to blend with live action. Still...LOTS of processor time :eek:

I thought there was some good imaginaiton shown in the jungle creatures and they looked like they had tried to follow some sort of logical biological map, not just make up random critters for convenience.

Who else here has seen "The Coconut Revolution"? http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1192286025577999101#

Striking similarities. I wouldn't put money on Cameron not having hear of it.

Tropical jungle paradise (Bougainville) invaded by an alien culture (Rio Tinto Zinc) only interested in the mineral resources under the ground. Locals rebel and fight off first riot police, then the Papua New Guinea army supported by NZ special forces and helicopter gun ships...starting with nothing but bows and home made weapons. The population was decimated, but continued on to withstand a seven year blockade and eventually make the mining company give up on the idea.

Transplant that to a fantastic alien world, up the ante for both the environment and the technology, and you are pretty close.

Kia Ora Chris,

Sorry if this is a tad off topic but.....

I watched the 'Coconut Revolution' with interest and spurred on I've also done a bit of research on the conflict between the PNGDF and the BRA. I have been unable to find any reference to support your statement that 'NZ special forces' were involved in the civil war in Bougainville at any time. I can find reference to support from Australia to the PNGDF.

'NZ Special Forces' would generally mean a deployment from 1 NZSAS Group which I cannot seem to find any reference to. I understand a PMC 'Sandline International' were involved but this 'company' was run out of the UK and fronted by a former British officer.

NZ did however broker the peace talks and provide assistance to the peacekeeping force during operaton Bel Isi.

I'd be interested if you could let me know where you get your information to assert that NZ Special forces were involved?

I dare say if the NZ govenment was asked we'd provide a mediation service between the Na'vi and RDA corporation. We're that kind of country....:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE