Anyone made a pipe?

I have been toying with the idea of making my own pipe.
thanks to albus cutler I have seen a churchwarden kit which looks pretty sweet. however I wonder how complicated it is.
so has anyone made their own pipe? could you show me any examples? is it difficult? what are the hazards and potential pit falls?
thanks in advance
Sam

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I made a simple pipe from Elder for the stem and a drilled offcut of something for the bowl - it got too hot to hold, tasted evil and ended up as firewood!
Other than that it was easy and worked well....

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I made a simple pipe from cedar when I worked in new Mexico. It wad an odd and clumsily built object but it did what it was designed for even if it looked like a horribly put together native American peace pipe. Hardest part was the hollowing out the stem, the bowl was easier. No pictures I'm afraid at least no digital ones to upload but picture in your minds eye a straight tube about 20-30 cm long with a egg cup like bowl attached and you'd not be far off what i built lol

Orric

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
2013-01-27093111.jpg

Not sure if this counts as I didn't make the churchwarden stem...

I used well seasoned cherry wood. My only advice is to get the holes right as that's the secret to a good pipe. The air chamber hole needs to be in the centre of the bowl and come through right at the bottom to avoid gurgle and gloop. The mortice has to be drilled the same length as the tenon and no more or it doesn't flow the way it should.

I've got more on the way but haven't finished them yet, too many different projects going as usual. Have fun Sam. What's the churchwarden kit you mentioned?

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Got a few pipes and I'm still amazed at how well this one smokes for my first attempt at a diy pipe. Must have been blind luck but the holes lined up perfectly and it shows when smoked. My only advice would be to drill holes first then work around that so you know it will work. I threw a near finished poker into the fire as the holes weren't quite right, shouldn't have wasted time on it. That and don't think about it too much, just crack on and see what happens.

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Looks good but that's a lot of dollar for a half finished pipe once it's been shipped over. If you have a look at Italian listings on ebay they seem to have a lot of supplies listed, Germany as well. That would be a good start as it takes the work out of drilling holes but that's half the fun of making a pipe. I can't wait for corn on the cob this summer, I'll be saving several to make cobs out of next year.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
It can't be THAT hard, look:

[video=youtube;lXdD1a2sz6o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXdD1a2sz6o&playnext=1 &list=PLB10DD2EF0B78999C&featu re=results_video[/video]

All you need is a mora:)

Stingray

Feb 25, 2009
Kent
Thanks for that link to the pipe mouthpieces.I've a few that need renewing.
Churchwardens really do give me the best smoke.The shape of the stem is wonderful.
I get most of my tobacco from here.A very good postal service.If you don't want to do it on-line,give them a ring and they'll do it over the phone.Used them for years.
http://www.mysmokingshop.co.uk/

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE