Anyone know what this is?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Hi guys.

Can anyone id this for me please.

It was found growing from a rose branch on the 1st September.... very firm/dense, and when cut open contained a few small white grubs/larvae. Never seen anything like it before.

Thanks. :)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Spectacular! Phytoparasitic insect larvae can produce a variety of chemicals which disrupt normal plant growth and development.
That's the best I've ever seen. A "gall," yes. Look into parasites of roses and see what you can find.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
As said above, Robins Pincushion, otherwise known as Bedeguar gall, on dog rose. Caused by the gall wasp Diplolepis rosae. It is a pleurilocular gall, which is to say there are multiple eggs inside it, each of which hatches into a little grub, as seen in your last shot of it split open. The eggs make the plant grow abnormally, so that the larvae can then feed on the extra tissue provided whilst being protected from predators.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Sorry guys, i missed a lot of the replies to this... my bad!

Its an interesting thing for me, never come across it before and your input is much appreciated.

Is this the same beastie which is responsible for Oak apples?

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Sorry guys, i missed a lot of the replies to this... my bad!

Its an interesting thing for me, never come across it before and your input is much appreciated.

Is this the same beastie which is responsible for Oak apples?
Close relative, gall wasps are many and each species produces a different shaped gall

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
I think its actually a Robins Pincushion Gall

Found a photo of you BR!

beatrix-potter-the-tale-of-squirrel-nutkin-1903-nutkin-gathers-robins-pin-cushions.jpg

"But Nutkin gathered robin's pincushions from a briar bush and stuck them full of pine needle pins"

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE