Anyone know how to make a waterproof seam?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

greg2935

Nomad
Oct 27, 2004
Exeter
Hi All,

I'm having a go making a poor mans hootchie/fly sheet and have no idea how to make a good waterproof seam, I usually use "seamproof" which is a sort of clear glue. However, I've found that repreated stretching causes the seam to eventually leak and cannot think of any other way to do it. Any ideas?

Ta in advance.

Greg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
greg2935 said:
Hi All,

I'm having a go making a poor mans hootchie/fly sheet and have no idea how to make a good waterproof seam, I usually use "seamproof" which is a sort of clear glue. However, I've found that repreated stretching causes the seam to eventually leak and cannot think of any other way to do it. Any ideas?

Ta in advance.

Greg

Point North sell an iron on waterproof seam sealant tape. I haven't managed to spring it off yet once it's on properly.
Cheers,
Toddy

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
greg2935 said:
Hi All,

Ta in advance.

Greg

I don't know what kind of material you are using but, when I'm making a canvas tarp, I use a double sewn flat felled seam - making sure the seam will be at its most vertical when in use (so rain water runs down and doesn't get caught at the seam). I sometimes use a seam sealer, but often I do not. If you use a seam sealer, it does need to be re-applied periodically.

PG

maverix

Forager
May 16, 2005
North Devon coast
Where is the seam going to be?

around the edge or across the centre somehow?
I assume that it will be nearer the centre, I wouldnt worry if with the edges leaked a little.
If its cross the centre then i would stitch then either use adhesive tape, or a thin layer of "seamproof" or evo-stick with a long strip of fabrice over that to act as tape.

greg2935

Nomad
Oct 27, 2004
Exeter
I have some very light nylon, its 60'' (1.52m) wide. I would like a 3m x 3m tarp so the seam will be right across the centre. I'm a little worried about the flat felled seam if it runs along the top with the ridge pointing upwards, water would almost certainly get in. I think I will seal the seam aka Toddy's suggestion, and have it running down the tarp (in the same direction as water would travel).

Just as a point of interest I am going to restart my silk hammock plan as I have been in contact with a silk hammock owner who claims his has worked for 2years+, (and therefore I was completely wrong about the wear rate). I am copying the design from http://www.garlington.biz/Ray/SilkHammock. I've built these hammocks before and although I prefer Neil1's design, the lack of sewn weight bearing seams is too attractive to ignore, I want to add a mozzi net of fine silk to the tarp as well so I can get a "work space" where I can get away from the buggars, however, I already have a large mozzi net (nylon) and am broke so will use that instead.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE