Anyone had a dental implant?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
It sounds like your brother had a bridge made. On natural teeth (roots) or maybe on implants ( not likely unless he spent several months in Goa)
He used to spend up to 6 months a year there, come home work his butt off and go back, some lifestyle.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Nice job he had!

A bridge on natural teeth is done in two or three visits, a few weeks between. Bridge on implants - months and months, as the implants need to oseeointegrate.

There is a fairly new tech with immediate loading. ”Teeth the next day’.

When research shows 20 year resultd as good as the traditional technique, then I will believe in it.
Now I do not.

For me, having impkants done should be once in a lifetime. Has to last life out.
Why?
If you lose an implant, you lose a LOT of bone in that site. You can lose the teeth next to the failed implant.

Last edited:
Reactions: bopdude

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Nice job he had!
Yeah there was a group of them used to do it, went on for about 10 years, they were part of the community, even to the point of having their own motor bikes, old Triumphs, and B.S.A. etc stored ready for when they got back, often thought they had the job right and we were stuck in our routines, now I know they had it right, life's too short, but I digress, his teeth are all pinned into the jaw as you've mentioned in your earlier post, whether they meet any EU or other standards I doubt but they work and that's gotta say something ?

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
The best person to judge his Goa teeth would be his dentist in UK!

There is no such thing as a EU standard, the Gold (optimum) standards are set by research.
Then it is more an acceptance done by the governing body in each country what the Minimum acceptable standard is.

I have patients from India and are yet to see decent dental work from there.

Last edited:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Perhaps you never see the good jobs, Janne?

India is a country where a lot of Doctors are trained; I would be suprised if there were any hack jobs.

Still, you get what you pay for; I doubt a cheap job would be any good whichever country you had it done in.

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
I think he paid a grand, not cheap but cheaper than the UK, tried to talk to him but he's on a course, I'll call him again later.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
i had a great job done on my front tooth , the cost was 2 x NHS 6 month treatment plans , 1 plan was to remove the root and let the gum settel , the the 2nd treatment was 6 months later for the tooth .The front tooth was the type that has a wing that attaches to the other front tooth . All in all im pleased i did not go private and the cost was aboit £500 in total and its been the best option . ps i did pay £2500 some years back for a rod type implant but was always going back to have it glued back in .
You have a so called maryland bridge. It is classed as a semi permanent solution, but can last years and years.

It sounds like you did not have an implant? As you say the root needed extraction?
To me it sounds like you had your own root, that was root filled, with a post-core and crown ( which came out and needed frequent re cementing)

An implant is a Titanium screw that is replacing the whole root.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Perhaps you never see the good jobs, Janne?

India is a country where a lot of Doctors are trained; I would be suprised if there were any hack jobs.

Still, you get what you pay for; I doubt a cheap job would be any good whichever country you had it done in.

No, not seen any decent work. No bonding materials used with composite fillings. Amalgam still used, with excess Mercury. Residual decay. Gum disease and tartar left. Crowns and bridges made with non precious alloys, with ceramic work that does not look like a tooth. Huge overhangs around criwns and bridges.Root fillings that only obturate half or rootd, roots in same tooth left untreated.
I am sure there must be some skilled dentists too, though!

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Glue / cement it did come out as it was into the remaining root , in fact a few times . If the tooth is in the front I would not have a screw in tooth in to a root or jaw just to risky in my opinion . And the body has a way of trying to reject foreign bodies , just my experience and five bobs worth

Yes, it is calked a post-core. Badly made post- cores ( to weak, to conical) do come out. Or if there is a tiny, invisibke crack in root.

Titanium is not seen as a foreign body, hence the osseo integration.
Some other metals do the same, but they are to weak to be used.

Reactions: Bluebs4

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Perhaps you never see the good jobs, Janne?.....
That's a thought: that the ones that were done properly aren't seeing dentists now (no need) I certainly hope dentists and doctors educated in India aren't hacks. My cardiologist is one such doctor.

Bluebs4

Aug 12, 2011
Bristol
Yes, it is calked a post-core. Badly made post- cores ( to weak, to conical) do come out. Or if there is a tiny, invisibke crack in root.

Titanium is not seen as a foreign body, hence the osseo integration.
Some other metals do the same, but they are to weak to be used.

100% that’s what happened the root cracked over time (20+ years) I did not go with an implant after that but chose the bridge attached to good front tooth as I was playing rugby at the time . The bridge has performed fantastic so I’m sticking with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
...... chose the bridge attached to good front tooth as I was playing rugby at the time .......
Rarest thing in professional sports = a hockey player with all his own teeth

dancarcillosmiles_display_image.jpg

Reactions: Janne and Bluebs4

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Yeah, I'm thinking of getting it done as it's one of my central incisors, so right at the front. I need some bone as well as it's been about 6 years and the jaw has thinned out a bit. He said that i may have to have the actual tooth glued to the implant as I've got a weird angle on it but he'll look at it more after I've had a scan, which I've booked just to see where I'm at, the scan will be mine so I can take it to some other places if need be.

I can't remember the brand but he's insisting they're the best quality swiss implants.

He has offered me a bridge, I'm just cautious of this as my other front tooth is a crown on a post and I'm thinking that it might not be very strong, I asked if I could eat a carrot and he said it was unlikely as it might break it...

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Hi Tony.
I have a couple, both toward the front, one top one bottom. I've had them about 10 years now. The only problem I've had is the top one came loose on its post and had to be re-bonded.
I seem to remember each one took about 6 months from start to finish. Not cheap either but I don't regret having them done.
Incidentally, I also have a bridge, which I was told might last 8 to 10 years when it was done, that was nearly 30 years ago, and yes, I can eat carrots, but I'm careful how I do it!

Dave

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
The crown can be either screwed or glued on to the abutment. In most systems the abutments are different depending on what will be chosen.

The negative with a screwed crown is that you will get bacteria in the gap, can smell a bit more...
The negative with a cemented one is that it can debond.

I preferred to cement the ones I did, easier to recement than re screw.
The implant screw ( the bit inside the bone) should last your life. Crowns and bridges should last at least 20-30 years, both on natural teeth and implants, if they are properly made and you take care ( hygiene) of them.
I only have gold inlays and onlays ( fillings made from gold) done 30+ years ago.
One tooth broke last tear and I chose to have a large composite plastic done, as an experiment.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
MartinDave, your implant is done according to the old Brånemark principles by the sound of it. That is what I recommend is done, as we know the expected result.
Direct loading ( immediate loading, ’teeth next day’ ) is a new principle. We know the sucess rate short term is less than the classic way. We do not know the long term prognosis.
If I have something done on my body, I want it to last.
I rather pay more, but once, then pay cheap and get problems.

Also ( going foreign countries) you want to be able to repair and service what you have.

I get sometimes patients that have moved to the Cayman Islands with complex work ( implants, attachment retined dentures and so on) that needs to be adjusted or repaired.
Hell.

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
I spent 10 grand 4 years ago getting my nashers sorted.get it done it’ll make you feel better.smilings a big part of enjoying life and you don’t really wanna be feeling self conscious about doing it.the hole process took about 6 months too do in my case and yeah it’s expensive layout but not in the grand scheme of things really

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Janne

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE