Anyone had a dental implant?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
My Dentist asked if I wanted a bridge, under the NHS, but not an implant. I didn't realise that it was more complex than the implant might be.
If so, why is it offered here ?

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
It is one of those cases where clueless paper pushers, that call themseves for ’managers’ (even if they only manage themselves, a desk and some paper) have decided what is ’essential’ treatment.

You have all read about new, excellent medication that is not available on the state healthcare.

Bluebs4

Aug 12, 2011
Bristol
i had a great job done on my front tooth , the cost was 2 x NHS 6 month treatment plans , 1 plan was to remove the root and let the gum settel , the the 2nd treatment was 6 months later for the tooth .The front tooth was the type that has a wing that attaches to the other front tooth . All in all im pleased i did not go private and the cost was aboit £500 in total and its been the best option . ps i did pay £2500 some years back for a rod type implant but was always going back to have it glued back in .

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I wish my father would get some. He has no back teeth.

(He has no double glazing either.)

But I can chew perfectly well. Its just for having a complete collection, I guess.

My NHS dentist wanted to put metal fillings until I refused to let them near me until they found their resin pot.

My resin fillings are just fine.

Which country in the world is known for good dentists, BTW? You should go there, perhaps.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Remember this: if the teeth either side of the gap have good periodonal health ( no gum disease) but large fillings, it is better to do a bridge.

Dentists ( specially in the US) push implants like there is no tomorrow.
Excellent profit margin, and in most cases really simple and uneventful.

To make a quality bridge is in fact trickier, specially if more that 2 teeth needs to be shaped.
Yeah, the one I already have is a rear molar so no bridge was possible. The other thing about bridges though is they don't stop that bone resorbtion so your face will continue to change shape (granted that's a cosmetic issue)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
My Dentist asked if I wanted a bridge, under the NHS, but not an implant. I didn't realise that it was more complex than the implant might be.
If so, why is it offered here ?
I suspect for the same reason the dental insurance companies have the same view. Bridges have been around long enough to be considered normal restoration whereas implants are still considered cosmetic? Or at least that seems to be the attitude. That said, I remember implants being around at least as far back as when I was a teenager a half century ago.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
i had a great job done on my front tooth , the cost was 2 x NHS 6 month treatment plans , 1 plan was to remove the root and let the gum settel , the the 2nd treatment was 6 months later for the tooth .The front tooth was the type that has a wing that attaches to the other front tooth . All in all im pleased i did not go private and the cost was aboit £500 in total and its been the best option . ps i did pay £2500 some years back for a rod type implant but was always going back to have it glued back in .
Proper implants aren't "glued in." The crown is cemented on top of the implanted rod; but the rod is embedded (or screwed) in the bone permanently. Removing it would be as difficult as extracting a normal biological tooth.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.... Which country in the world is known for good dentists, BTW? You should go there, perhaps.
Intuitively I'd say most any of the developed Western countries. but even among them that might not be so easy to judge as it seems. The first thing most of us would think of is "Which country has people with the best dental health?" However good or poor dental health is probably more dependent on whether the population go for regular check ups and cleanings vs waiting until they have a problem, than it is on the quality of the care they get when they do finally go. You can have the finest dentists in the world but they can't do you any good unless you actually go.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
The majority of implants today are threaded.
As I said before, they are screwed in the prepared, threaded bone. In reality only the outermost two or three millimeters are dense (cortical) bone, the rest is like foam, with bone marrow.

The threads give the implant the initial stability that is needed for the osseointegration, a kind of fusing between the bone and Titanium surface.

Also, the threading increases the surface.
The surface is treated a special way, to clean it after machining and improve the o. integration.

Reactions: santaman2000

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
The first ’modern’ Ti implants were placed in 1965 by Prof Brånemark.
As he did the treatment without proper approval from the Swedish Medicinal Rådet ( Medical Board) his license to practice was withdrawn, as they did not believe in his findings with Ti- bone integration.

Implants made from various metals have been placed since the 1930’ or so. They all failed within maximum a couple of years.
No osseo integration was achieved, just a kind of healing with inflammatory tissue, like an internal scar.

The worst one was the so called sub periostal cage implants, and blade implants.
Eventually the patients lost huge amounts of the jaw bone, so badly they could not wear dentures.

I treated a few of these poor patients. The treatment was to create skin ( mucoca) lined ‘channels under the nasal cavity. The dentures had two horns that were inserted into these channels.
Pure hell.
Once I had to retrieve a peanut stuck in one of these channels. Was interesting!

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Prof Brånemark and his teamnot only created the threaded implant, but deviced protocols for speed of drills and threaders, watercooled, to minimize bone overheating ( and bone necrosis).

The procedure is highly technical. A certain torque in insertion. A very specific torque to fix the abutment with the tiny abutment screw. With correct torque, the abutment screw elongates and locks in the abutment.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm sure that I mind watching a Tomorrow's World programme, years ago, and they were showing a kind of packing/lattice made from seashells. Somehow or other the natural bone grew through this stuff and used the minerals within and the basic structure created, to grow and shape new bone. Like coral ? I don't mind the details now, just that those little snippets have stuck in my memory. The presenter said that it would mean the end of dentures eventually.

Did that ever come to anything ? or is it a lapsed/forgotten/didn't work technique ?

M

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Several bone replacement materials exist. I ‘think’ they all work if the new bone ( your own bone replaces the foreign material during healing) is loaded.
I personally used a synthetic calcium granules if I could not harvest enough bone from the drilling of the hole.
I used to mix the granules with drilled out bone and blood, and pack where bone was missing. Also when I had to do a so called Sinus lift.
The bone mush has to be protected with a protective layer, like a mesh or fabric, so it does not move or disappear through the incision.

Seashell is calcium carbonate, I guess once all proteins are removed it is very inert.
The Israelis have discovered a new bone replacement material, but I do not know how common it is today.

Reactions: Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
would I have an implant?
Only if I neded to replace a front tooth. I can live with a molar or two missing.

As long as I can chew my beer all is OK!

I honestly, now, agree with you on that. At the time the abcessed tooth was removed I really wanted it replaced pdq, and even now the gap annoys me. I don't think I could be bothered going for surgery though. It's hard enough to get through a normal check up with my mouth kept open. I don't think I'd do too well with it needing kept open for a lot longer.
I don't want a bridge or a plate, but if there were a really quick way to put a crowned tooth in there, I'd be interested.

M

Bluebs4

Aug 12, 2011
Bristol
Proper implants aren't "glued in." The crown is cemented on top of the implanted rod; but the rod is embedded (or screwed) in the bone permanently. Removing it would be as difficult as extracting a normal biological tooth.

Glue / cement it did come out as it was into the remaining root , in fact a few times . If the tooth is in the front I would not have a screw in tooth in to a root or jaw just to risky in my opinion . And the body has a way of trying to reject foreign bodies , just my experience and five bobs worth

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
No quick ways I am afraid!

You can request a bite block. It is a rubber thingy we place on the opposing side. Keeps the mouth open.

Arthritic jaw, tmjd apparently. I manage fine for most things, but the dentist is hard going, and a gastroscopy with no anaesthetics or numbing was utter hell.

As a ballpark sort of time ....how long does it take to fit an implant ?

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Glue / cement it did come out as it was into the remaining root , in fact a few times ...
When they extract the old tooth the root comes with it. The implant goes directly into jaw bone. I'm not doubting your troubles; I'm just thinking somebody did a horrible job of it.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE