anyone got these Bivvi Bags ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
I paid more for a takeaway curry last night.

If it's not so great, what have you lost? I think you'll be fine though. Belgiam army kit is usually pretty damn good.

benjy

Tenderfoot
Dec 29, 2010
Swindon
I had two delivered a few weeks ago, bought to have a go at making my own bedroll (inspired by a few threads on here).

Initial impressions are they are a decent piece of kit. I'm not sure how waterproof they are, may need retreating. Normally I used a British Army Goretex Bivvy when camping out under tarps. I am going to try and use these in the same way, but I wouldn't trust it without a shelter.

Also, they look like they have less of a taper than British army goretex bivvy, so are more roomy.

Welshwizard

Forager
Aug 11, 2011
Abergavenny Wales
I can see they look excellent value and as I said being made for military use they should be well made , not sure about the material though, anyone know if they are breathable ?

Paul72

Nomad
Jan 29, 2010
Northern Ireland
It needed a bit of an airing (it was surpls kit after all!) but I thought it was a well made piece of kit, very roomy inside and packs up into a good size too

benjy

Tenderfoot
Dec 29, 2010
Swindon
I see they do two grades and the supergrade is advertised as excellent condition .
Did you both order the best ?

I ordered supergrade as I decided a few quid price difference was not a great saving to gamble with someones definition of grade 1.

Thats not to say I have any reason to doubt the quality, but I thought why risk it.

SI-Den

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2011
Norfolk
I've got five!

I picked mine up for my cadets, they came with a German 'mummy' sleeping bag as well from GI surplus (no connection etc)

Having had a good look at them they look ok. Not sure what the material is but to me it looks like a waterproof, non breatheable type. There is a panel on the front that is 'cloth' which helps with the breathability of the bag - not a problem for the cadets as they always sleep under a basha.

They are cheaper (much, much cheaper) than goretex and to be honest have worked well for us and have enough room in them for a cadet & their kit :)

Den

Welshwizard

Forager
Aug 11, 2011
Abergavenny Wales
looked into it more and material is listed as Seyntex which is supposedly breathable and base is pv coated to prevent damp througth ground .

Last edited:

graybear1

Aug 29, 2010
Australia
I've gone one and I think it's a great piece of kit! The 'waterproof' part on the bottom isn't something I would trust with my life so to say, but in my limited use of it, it's stopped any minor damp rising into the sleeping space.

The bag is pretty roomy, plenty to fit a fairly heavy duty sleeping bag into, there's a draw string across the shoulder area that is nice for extra snugness.

The only thing to get used to is the flap at the head of the bag that is used for wrapping up a pillow...it's actually useful if you don't travel with a pillow, you can just roll up your jumper etc and it will keep it in place, I just had to get used to not sitting up too quickly it's all one piece with your pillow if that makes sense....

Anyway, it's a great addition to the list, it's very light weight on it's own and makes a great bedroll.

Hope that helps, I got mine for alot more and am very jealous you can grab it for that much over there...

GB

northumbrian

Settler
Dec 25, 2009
newcastle upon tyne
if you buy them from their online shop they are only £6.50 ! or if you want a cheap brand new good bivi bag endicotts are selling the jack pyke breathable bag in english oak cammo for £29.99 brand new still in the wrapper ! lol. i have no blah blah blah with endys.
cheers andrew.

Welshwizard

Forager
Aug 11, 2011
Abergavenny Wales
if you buy them from their online shop they are only £6.50 ! or if you want a cheap brand new good bivi bag endicotts are selling the jack pyke breathable bag in english oak cammo for £29.99 brand new still in the wrapper ! lol. i have no blah blah blah with endys.
cheers andrew.
wow thats good - I assume the standard grade though , are the Jack Pyke ones good ?

northumbrian

Settler
Dec 25, 2009
newcastle upon tyne
wow thats good - I assume the standard grade though , are the Jack Pyke ones good ?
to tell u the truth i cant find any holes in the belgian bivi bag and i havnt used the jack pyke one in anger yet but it looks 100% heavy duty kit and is as big as the british army one , im 6-2 and 23 stone and i have lots of room to move about and extra space to put kit in.if u look at the endicotts page it shows u how they tested it !

cheers andrew.

Welshwizard

Forager
Aug 11, 2011
Abergavenny Wales
to tell u the truth i cant find any holes in the belgian bivi bag and i havnt used the jack pyke one in anger yet but it looks 100% heavy duty kit and is as big as the british army one , im 6-2 and 23 stone and i have lots of room to move about and extra space to put kit in.if u look at the endicotts page it shows u how they tested it !

cheers andrew.
Yes I saw the little pool they made up for the duck decoy ,thanks for the feedback Andrew !

Welshwizard

Forager
Aug 11, 2011
Abergavenny Wales
Bag arrived today - not the best condition for a Supergrade item (glad i did,nt order the std) looks well used and has a 6" tear that has been stitched and smells damp/fousty ,they advise on site that they should be washed but as the material is breathable i.e. seyntex and there is no cleaning/wash label I,m not sure how hot or what powder or liquid should be used as goretex advise not to use powders in wash
and will I need to reproof it ?
If so which proofing , In wash ?

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
I got a couple of the standard ones a bit back for my kids. One was perfect the other needed acouple of seems re-stitching but no biggie. one of mine is stamped 1972 so I i wasn't suprised by the fousty/musty smell. I washed it in a 40 degree wash using both Regatta wash and Regatta re-proofer. I bought them basically as a sleeping bag cover to be used in a single skin tent or tarp.

Welshwizard

Forager
Aug 11, 2011
Abergavenny Wales
I got a couple of the standard ones a bit back for my kids. One was perfect the other needed acouple of seems re-stitching but no biggie. one of mine is stamped 1972 so I i wasn't suprised by the fousty/musty smell. I washed it in a 40 degree wash using both Regatta wash and Regatta re-proofer. I bought them basically as a sleeping bag cover to be used in a single skin tent or tarp.
Thanks for that Badger 74 ,i bought mine to use with a tent or tarp but as was stated "supergrade very little signs of use " perhaps I was expecting better for the grade ,will wash mine at 40 deg. too then if no ill effects ,I have a outdoor wash additive but will have to search for it !

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE