Anyone got a Allan Blade pacKpal?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
i have a pack pal at present and have ordered the bushcrafter. Persoanlly speaking I think the pack pal is excellent although their were one or two teething problems with it (bevel and blade coating mainly) but once I sorted these out I think its fantastic and is definately the knife I prefer to use at present I only hope the bushcrafter works out to be as good.

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
What's your pack pal spec. Gary ,full or hidden tang ,scandi grind or full flat ??

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
rapidboy said:
What's your pack pal spec. Gary ,full or hidden tang ,scandi grind or full flat ??

Scandi Rapid, lovely knife. While I was out the weekend playing fire steels I carved a spoon blank out of Birch in next to no time, and using a baton it went through a 2+ thumb thick branch in one hit, almost as good as an axe!!

I really cant wait for the bushcrafter and runt to arrive!!

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
I think the original spec was a full tang with a full flat grind.
The he mad eth efull tang with a scandi grind.
Then changed it to a mortised tang.

I ordered a full tang scandi grind with natural micarta scales and hollow rivets and it seems lik eit been on order forever :roll:

I like the look of his Field Pukko as well.

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
I have one on order. Ordered it about 8 weeks ago and can't remember what the heck I ordered now other than scandi grind and mosaic pins.
Spose he is overwhelmed and with Xmas and all there will be a delay.
Wait patiently I guess :?:

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
I know what you mean about the wait - but I guess its no more or less than other makers, the price is certainly very competetive!! IMO well worth the wait.

leon-1

So far the people that have recieved thier Scandi Pack Pals have been very happy with them, I got mine around the 21st December (Cocobolo scales with mosaic pins and firesteel loop) and have been having a little play with it. As Gary said they are a very good little knife which are more than capable.

RB you won't be dissapointed when it arrives, Allan is very good at his craft. I also have a Field Trek by Allan and it is a veritable beast as far as field tools are concerned. When I order from Allan again it will probably be the Field Pukko or one of the original Pack Pal's. :wink:

tomtom, I have pictures of both as soon as I get a chance I will post them or alternatively you could look at this thread over on British Blades which has pictures of both the old and new variations of the Pack Pal, provided by Schwert and Magikelly, the original one on page two and the new one on page three.

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
I ordered the basic one like this and asked him to make sure the spine was square and not to add his blade coating as i heard they don't always work well with firesteels.
PACKPALSCANDISmall.jpg

I have found found Alan very very helpful ,he was very patient with my barrage of questions and answered all my emails quickly.
I really hope the Pack Pal works for me as i would like to order quite a few more of Alan's knives .
I have always been a sucker for Bowie's and he does a nice range although obviously not very bushcrafty.

Tvividr

Nomad
Jan 13, 2004
Norway
www.gjknives.com
These are mine :eek:):
Original PackPal with handle of osage orange and mosaic pins. Scandi PackPal (original design) with handle of canvas micarta and mosaic pins. Very good knives.

289ABladePackPals.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE