Anyone else get problems lighting Gel fuel with a fire steel in windy conditions?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

brozier

Tenderfoot
Oct 9, 2012
leicestershire
Hi Folks,

I've recently bought a BCB Crusader cook set which came with a free Fire Steel.

I've tried lighting it in the kitchen using the fire steel - no trouble at all.

But when I've tried using it outdoors I run into problems. :confused:

Due to the wet conditions we've had this year often the only dry places to brew up are also quite windy and twice now I've struggled to light the stove. The first time I managed to get it going by adding some dry grass as tinder - that lit okay and then the Gel caught.

Second time (this evening) I tried the grass again but no joy had to resort to a lighter as I was getting cold and fed up. :(

Anyone else use the Greenheat Gel?

Cheers
Bryan

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I have problems lighting anything in windy conditions, including a Zippo lighter. It's not the gel, it's not the firesteel, it is the wind that is the problem, you need to improvise a windshield.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
actually with the small addition of cotton wool ball youll have no trouble at all, its how i light mine now on the beach in the wind just dab it in the gel tease it open and it will catch easy and warm the gel and eventually the whole lot is roaring. Adding a cheap wind shield as mentioned above helps not only with the lighting but to make sure your heat is getting where it needs to be.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
The basic problem is "things" do not burn.
It is the gasses given off by "things" that burn.
If you cannot get enough gas in one place at one time it will not light.
To get the gasses going from things you (generally) have to heat them to a degree.
Some things need less heat than others to give off gasses.
Generally the smaller the thing the less heat needed.
Generally the smoother the surface of the thing the less easily it gives in to heat and gives off gasses.
The gel, being a smooth surfaced gel, needs to be nice and warm to gass off easily.
Cotton wool being loads of fine fibres gives off its gasses more readily.
Wind removes the gasses before they gather well.
Cold wet windy weather is rotten for getting the gasses started and lit.
Remove cold , damp and wind from the mix and the gel gasses off easily.

brozier

Tenderfoot
Oct 9, 2012
leicestershire
Thanks for all the suggestions - I was pretty tired last night after four hours walking in the dark.

John has clarified things really well. Having had some more time to think about it I had a few ideas too.

Alcohol cools as it evaporates - think alcohol rub - so that would be cooling the surface?
Liquids can absorb/dissipate more heat than solids - I vaguely remember something about specific heat capacity from school physics...

I'm guessing the cotton wool will insulate the spark from the cold surface of the alcohol, and be warmer/easier to light too.

I might try keeping the gel sachet in my pocket to see if that helps - I was going to try cotton wool / vaseline as a tinder so that will go into the tinder box too.

On the first (more) successful attempt I did use my rucksac as a wind break - just shows how being cold/tired can slow down the thought processes! :eek:

The basic problem is "things" do not burn.
It is the gasses given off by "things" that burn.
If you cannot get enough gas in one place at one time it will not light.
To get the gasses going from things you (generally) have to heat them to a degree.
Some things need less heat than others to give off gasses.
Generally the smaller the thing the less heat needed.
Generally the smoother the surface of the thing the less easily it gives in to heat and gives off gasses.
The gel, being a smooth surfaced gel, needs to be nice and warm to gass off easily.
Cotton wool being loads of fine fibres gives off its gasses more readily.
Wind removes the gasses before they gather well.
Cold wet windy weather is rotten for getting the gasses started and lit.
Remove cold , damp and wind from the mix and the gel gasses off easily.

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
Why don't you light it with a lighter mate? Its ok to have one in your pocket this time of year for your stoves. :)

brozier

Tenderfoot
Oct 9, 2012
leicestershire
Why don't you light it with a lighter mate? Its ok to have one in your pocket this time of year for your stoves. :)

Good question - basically I want to learn how to light a fire quickly using the fire steel. I did have matches and a lighter as a backup so could still have my tea :D

Cheers
Bryan

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Well I appreciate it's not as fast as gas but for me it is a great option it's lightweight, cheap and clean and fairly safe to use - just diffcult to light! :rolleyes:

Cheers
Bryan

Gas is clean, works, I really really don't see the attraction of something like green heat as its performance is awful.

Meths will light off a bic even in winter. Why not just use matches or a bic lighter instead of faffing about.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE