Mini ferrorod struggles

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mulloch

Mar 24, 2019
UK
I recently saw a youtube video of someone holding the knife blade stationary in the tinder and drawing the rod across the back of the blade. I had never thought of doing it that way or seen it done previously. I am new to the wildness skills and would be grateful for feedback on what is the best way to use the ferro rods? What are the pros and cons? I thought using the knife stationary seemed safer and concentrated the sparks in the desired location. Just my initial observation.

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I recently saw a youtube video of someone holding the knife blade stationary in the tinder and drawing the rod across the back of the blade. I had never thought of doing it that way or seen it done previously. I am new to the wildness skills and would be grateful for feedback on what is the best way to use the ferro rods? What are the pros and cons? I thought using the knife stationary seemed safer and concentrated the sparks in the desired location. Just my initial observation.

Look up RobEvs on here and on YouTube. He taps his knife blade into the top of a log so it’s fixed there and drags the firesteel across the spine onto the tinder resting on the log tucked in next to the blade.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Yes that is the method I have seen. Do you practice that method? What are your views on it?

It seems sensible to me, I’ve knocked all my tinder about the place by striking down with the knife loads of times, but all I practice after the hammock goes up is opening a beer and loafing about. The fire is generally lit with a lighter, but I always take one of the Polymath fire kits or my fire tin for entertainment. Live to loaf.

Reactions: gra_farmer and TLM

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE