Anyone built a Raft?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I've got a youth group in Aug that I need to build a raft with, i've got ideas and i've built a few before but I thought i'd ask in case some of you have got pics, good ideas or experience building rafts, if you have let's have a look :D

ReamviThantos

Native
Jun 13, 2010
Bury St. Edmunds
i have. It was built with four empty oil barrels and held together using chickwire and decked with planks. No pictures but got me and a mate from several miles up the river deveron in Scotland to a little bit further than we intended out to sea. Great fun though once we made landfall.

roger-uk

Settler
Nov 21, 2009
long Eaton
I've got full instructions as pdf Tony - send me your email address and I'll send to you.

Its one we use at Scout water activity centre - written for the best class of idiots - Scouts :)

Quite easy to read an ddo

Roger

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
I used to make them a lot when I was a cadet out of planks and oil drums, always good fun but inevitably somebody ended up soaked! The wining team was always the one that could tie effective knots.
Latterly I made one on the Journeyman Course which was quite pretty good, here's how we did it:

Make a donut shape out of sticks and fill with brush, bind with cord:

Ray Mears Course Sep 09 007.jpg

Lift donut onto a large plastic sheet:

Ray Mears Course Sep 09 018.jpg

Bind sheet to donut:

Ray Mears Course Sep 09 021.jpg

Carve paddle and weigh anchor!

Ray Mears Course Sep 09 023.jpg

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I used to make them a lot when I was a cadet out of planks and oil drums, always good fun but inevitably somebody ended up soaked! The wining team was always the one that could tie effective knots.
Latterly I made one on the Journeyman Course which was quite pretty good, here's how we did it:

View attachment 18287

View attachment 18288

Bind sheet to donut:

View attachment 18289

View attachment 18290

I have built one like that - but on a much smaller scale using an MOD size tarp....
I have also done the 4 oil drum sort - the trick is to build them to be paddled with the rounded side of the barrels as the bow and stern!

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...Latterly I made one on the Journeyman Course which was quite pretty good..."

Me too, also on the Journeyman, there are some pics on the Woodlore site, one of them I have just realised, has me in it. :)

12%2007.jpg

14%20081.jpg

19%2007.jpg

11%2007.jpg

13%20071.jpg

:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
That's good thinking John I wouldn't carry a massive sheet but regularly carry a tarp on days out.

Sandbender did you catch any fish in that wee loch (or anything else to eat for that matter) ?

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)

View attachment 18287

View attachment 18288

Bind sheet to donut:

View attachment 18289

View attachment 18290

Ohhh I like that. Really fancy making a coracle at some point as well

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...Sandbender did you catch any fish in that wee loch (or anything else to eat for that matter) ?..."

I didn't, but fish were caught by others, it was however quite pleasant to sit out there on the loch for the odd half hour. :)

Other foods? a ridiculous amount of wild fruit, cat tails etc. But nothing that tried to run away. :)

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
He he, i remember building a huge brush/tarp boat/raft 7 of us struggled to carry it to the water, we could walk around the edge of it and it didn't move, they're fantastic constructions, very effective.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE