Anyone bought Uncle Ray's Gransfors "Wilderness" Axe

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Definitely Wilderness axe. The 18" helve of an SFA means you cannot use it properly two handed - which makes it basically a heavy one handed axe. Fine for carving and light work - but for serious cross grain cutting or splitting you need a longer helve for mechaincal advantage, balance and precision. If you want a one handed axe, I'f go lighter than the SFA, for serious work you need at least a 24" helve.

JonT

Feb 14, 2013
Bristol
Made I larf Shewie.

Anyone know if somewhere, other than Ray himself, stocks these but perhaps at less of a premium or has he got sales of his axe sewn up?

J

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
same thing as the tablet saga above cos its ray mears its overpriced regards dave

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Why not get a Scandinavian forest? Or a nice Hultafors? Plenty of 24" helved axes around that will do the same job for less money

bradleybuckman

Forager
Jun 25, 2010
Kentucky, USA
I have one. It's nice,but you'd probably be better served with the SFA as it's quite a bit cheaper.

IMG_0632.jpg

Here it is beside a Council Tool Velvicut.
IMG_0643.jpg

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
Iv not used the wilderness axe but I did have a sfa which I sold, although it was a lovely axe it just didn't suit my needs I'd rather carry a smaller hatchet except in winter were il take something larger and I found the sfa didn't fill either needs

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Why not get a Scandinavian forest? Or a nice Hultafors? Plenty of 24" helved axes around that will do the same job for less money

Love my Scandinavian forest axe and had it a long time now. Use it to rough out all my bows, carving, splitting even felling. Processes dead wood with ease.
Is there that much different between em?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yep, the Small Forest is a good 6" shorter and more obtuse in the head grind - the Scandi is designed as a limbing axe with a very acute cross cutting grind. Its one of my favourite axes (the Scandinavian). 24" is about the minimum for a full sized man to get a proper two handed swing in my experience

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Another vote for the Scandinavian, I have an SFA too, which is lighter for a few days in the woods or a longer trek but if you plan to get any serious work done, the bigger axe wins out. :)

axes.jpg

JonT

Feb 14, 2013
Bristol
This is going into an FR Isle Royale Jr pack so I don't want anything too long but ling enough to be a decent all rounder... an extra 10cm on the wilderness being weighed up against the SFA - both of which I'd hope would fit nicely into the axe sleeve...

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE