Anyone bought Uncle Ray's Gransfors "Wilderness" Axe

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Go for the Wilderness axe. I have one and have used it for a good while now. Makes me wonder why I ever bothered with a SFA.

Because Mr Mears reccomended them, yet he now seems to have moved onto recommending the wilderness axe, which is a similiar length to the one which mors kochanski recommends?

[video=youtube;yjtsVEcxMq8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjtsVEcxMq8[/video]

[video=youtube;lKRymGciSg8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKRymGciSg8[/video]

I've got an SFA, but unfortunately I dont have the kind of permission, where I get to use it a great deal. I wouldnt mind one of those swedish army axes in the vid.

I bought my GB SFA ten years ago, from Rob on here, after reading RM's bushcraft Book, and they have doubled in price since then. Ouch.

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Last edited:

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
N

Nomad

Nope. But looks like a cracking deal. I dont need one I dont need one I dont need one.

Would there be a big difference between this and the GB SFA? Do I need one Do I need one?

Longer handle at 65cm compared to 50. Weight 1.3kg (on an Amazon ad, where I just hit the 'spluge now' button and bought one for 31 quid) compared to 1kg. If anything, it's closer to Uncle Ray's Wilderness Axe, but at a saving (including delivery) of 125 - 31 = 94 quid, less the cost of sorting out a sheath/guard for it.

I'm wondering if the sheath for the Gransfors Wilderness will fit, given that the axes are simialr size and weight. (Anyone know?)

Do I need one? I have no idea... but I might. "Be Prepared", said Baden Powell. "Ging, gang, gooly", said I.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Gotta love those Hudson Bay patterns :)

I have one. It's nice,but you'd probably be better served with the SFA as it's quite a bit cheaper.

IMG_0632.jpg

Here it is beside a Council Tool Velvicut.
IMG_0643.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE