Anyone attempted a DIY sleeping bag of bivvy?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

scrubcutter

Tenderfoot
Feb 23, 2008
Dorset
Has anyone tried to make their own sleeping bag and /or bivvy (or a hybrid)? I've tried a search on the site but nothing came up so I'm hoping I'm not going over old ground.

The reason I ask is that for some reason I cannot get used to the sleeping bags on the current market (something specific to me I guess). I've tried several bags over a number of years but can never get comfortable. I have found that I need room to move (and I mean room) amongst other things. I have access to Eider down (for a cold weather version) and have considered making my own. However, before I embark down this route I'd like to hear from others if they have had any experience in this arena and if so, how did you get on?

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I did one a few years ago and it was warm as toast, but bulky.
I made a large canvas bag, Canvas on one side and polycotton on the other and extra double wide. It had a button closure on the bottom - a bit like a duvet cover.
In it, I put a 14 tog cheap duvet from a retail outlet place. I had button fastenings along both sides so it would fold in half and button up the side. Even with it folded, it was pretty roomy. I made a second one and buttoned them both together when Val and I used to go tent camping. It was just like being under a double duvet. Two regular duvet covers stitched together along one side and bottom and half way up the other side would do the same job. A zip to complete the open side for ease of getting in and out, and a chunky duvet above and below inside the covers.

If you want something light and portable, that's a whole different story.

Eric

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
I know what you mean by wanting to be "comfortable".
Ten years ago I had a sleepingbag custommade extrawide for more room. Maybe you can ask around at british companies if they are willing to cut a one-off extrawie for you?
There also might be the chance that Exped http://www.exped.com/exped/web/exped_homepage.nsf/b43HomePageE?openframeset
with the "Sparrow" fit you. This one (and another warmer model to be released in 2008) is certainly a very wide sleeping bag (not only at the shoulders but also further down to the knees), wider than everything currently available on the german market, which I know quite well for professional reasons.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Haven't tried making a sleeping bag, but I have made a canvas bedroll. Nice and sparkproof, but bulky and heavy. I know www.roberts.pl does custom down bags for a low price, you could give them a try.

Also there is this crazy DIY guy here that does all sorts of outdoors stuff, but the page is only available in swedish (I'm certain that you could get the same kind of contents in english, but so far haven't found any). Anyways, here is a link to his down quilt page (at least you could be inspired by the pics..) http://www.andersj.se/quilten2.htm (it's his son in the pics, not the actual DIY-guy :))

Bozle

Tenderfoot
Jun 19, 2006
Kent
I've tried the bivvy bag sleeping bag hybrid with interesting results.... a couple of tipits from my research that might be of interest; the Snugpak Expanda panel (or the Snugpak Elite series sleeping bags)and the Mountain Equipement TDS system. Both consist of sets of elastic baffles that either surround the bag (the TDS system) or zip into the opening (Snugpak) letting you really move around but also keeping the insulation close to you to prevent cold spots. Apparently the TDS system even lets you sit up cross legged but I don't have any first hand experience of them.

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
Apparently the TDS system even lets you sit up cross legged but I don't have any first hand experience of them.

I love TDS bags (I've got three!), I like to be able to move around more than a normal bag allows (I hate that straightjacket feeling in a normal bag). They definitely work for me and yes, you can sit up in them.

Scoops

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
There are some bags that allow to to zip another bag to them... probably a bit much for one person but if you like room, buying two would at least give you the assurance of quality made gear. I'm not saying homemade isn't of course, but you know what I mean.. I hope :lmao:

Nag.

litefoot

Forager
Jan 8, 2007
northamptonshire
If you fancy making it yourself you could try one of Ray Jardines quilts,I have made one myself and very good they are too.Look on Rays adventure page and follow the links to quilts.
Litefoot.:)

scrubcutter

Tenderfoot
Feb 23, 2008
Dorset
Thanks all - your input is very much appreciated. I'll be checking out the links and give further thought to getting one customised before getting the needle and thread out.

My dreams of a hybrid wide-bodied sleeper/bivy in ventile and Eider down, merino, etc., have been put on hold!!!

As an aside, I vaguely recall 'that man' (Mr Mears) unfurling a 'bedroll' in one of his programmes recently on 'Dave'. Forgive me, but I can't even recall the series!! If any of you know the one, any idea what 'bedroll' that was?

Cheers.

scrubcutter

Tenderfoot
Feb 23, 2008
Dorset
Thanks H2O and thanks Andy for the link - that looks REALLY interesting! The stuff on there is making me rethink what I'm looking for (or what to make). Prices aren't too bad either but I guess once HM Customs and the Post Office get their grubby hands on them...

(Hmmm, an olive-green or flecktarn ventile swag with removable sleeping bag or are my fantasies running away with me? I suspect so.)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE