Anybody own the Pathfinder Canteen Cooking Set

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up Mike LA & Tonyuk,

Mike - see attached images re fitting of Crusader mug to pathfinder bottle. I'm not sure if the mug is a Mk1 or 2 - it is stamped 2006 if that helps. The one in the images fits perfectly as if it were made for the job and the items shown all fit in that Danish pouch.

M84 Pathkit4.jpg M84 Pathkit5.jpg M84 Pathkit6.jpg

Tony - just read your interesting 2011 post, useful info in there, I will look into chaffing fuel. Pretty much my own experience with the Fire Dragon Fuel which I tested recently in low temps and posted the results of on this site - (no boil achieved with one tab!).

FYI - Are you aware of the dutch army issue plastic water bottle, made by Avon?
It may be a depth of field issue but your US version may have slightly less capacity - the dutch is 1.1 litre and the '44 pattern sized mug fits the base perfectly (and the Pathfinder mug if needed).
It is as robust as the '58 bottle which I often found wasn't the case with US kit.
They are originally black as per the '58 bottle (I spray my kit tac).

I have one of the Dutch types with the NBC top and use one on my belt for on-the-go-H20. I find that the flatter profile lays better against my hip and the bottle shape more comfortable to hold than my Brit '58 which lives in my ruck.

Re the Fire Dragon fuel - When I do use it (for example in the new BCB cooker) I have taken to using the solid gel tabs and filling up the space in the fuel receptacle with a bit of the 'liquid' gel fuel which I decant from the clear plastic bottle into a more robust, slim profile one as shown.

I find that I can get a long boil for a BIB even in low temps.

The bottle is of the type which normally carries clothing re-proofer and comes with the spray head shown and a separate cap.
I've checked the bottle and seal frequently over a period of 3 months now for signs of deterioration - none apparent.

Gel1.jpg M84Pathkit7.jpg

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
I've looked at them but never bought one, the us bottle was given to me buy a spam some years ago along with the mug, i use it when bimbling about the hills as its more compact than the crusader (1 or 2) and i can use the stove set up over a fire easily. I keep the issued bottle and mug along with a steel crusader cooking in my webbing. Not a good idea to carry different bottles, inevitability water will be re-supplied with filled bottles in and empties out.

Looks like a nice set up you have there. I keep the chafing fuel in a lucozade bottle, the newer type with the squeeze spout at the top, makes measureing it out very easy and i can use a but to get some hexy or twigs etc.. going easily.

I've found that with the fire dragon you can make them last a good deal longer by only half peeling back the top foil then lighting it in the plastic packaging. Makes a bit more mess and takes longer but its never failed to boil for me. Its a good idea if your using the new smaller cookers (the new hexy like set-ups) that you keep a spare windshield and use 2 together. Your only supplied one but they're robust for a bit of metal and last for a good few uses. If you can make a scrape in the ground then even better.

Tonyuk

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up Tony,

I see your point re bottles in/out - doesn't affect me as I'm usually solo or at most 3 - 4 up every so often.

The set up that you see does look OK but I just borrowed the mug from one of my serving offspring for the image to help the OP. He tells me that the mug shown when used with a '58 bottle is a very tight fit in the Brit issue pouch and that I would be lucky to get all the stuff shown here in it. He also added that most often Camelbacks and Jetboils are the order of the day!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE