Anybody own the Pathfinder Canteen Cooking Set

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Anybody own the the pathfinder cooking set. You can buy the bottle separately now and I was wondering if the top of the bottle would fit a mark 1 crusader mug instead.

if someone owns both could you please check it for me.

Thank you

shindig

Tenderfoot
Dec 30, 2013
Scotland
I bought a set , but didn't like it. The handle was too long and awkward and there were too many sharp edges on the cup. The crusader cup is much better.

I ended up returning it and bought the pathfinder round cup and stove, and stainless nalgeen bottle. They are both pretty good and nest together perfectly in a 5.11 bottle pouch.

The pathfinder round bottle is not that great either. On both types of pathfinder bottle the threads are pretty shallow and you can destroy the threads quite easily.

You can pick up a stainless nalgeen bottle on Amazon. It's much better than the pathfinder bottle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up,

IF the pathfinder bottle is the SS version made in two parts with the seam running horizontally near to the top and the crusader bottle has the same neck/cap as the standard issue British Army 1 litre bottle - no, the pathfinder cap is way bigger.

Hope this helps.

Gotta go watch England crush Ireland now. :lmao:

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Thank you back to the drawing board a crusader cup mk 1 my favourite with ?? Want a fitting bottle I could use on embers "if" necessary.

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up,

MikeLA - any reason you don't want to use the Crusader cup in the embers? I've used the stainless Austrian mug (fits on a '58 pattern bottle OK) in that way.

Mike 313 - re 'Gonna watch England crush Ireland' - I refer you to my immediate post match reply 1910hrs! (Crying smiley and Humble pie icon here. :lmao:)

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up MikeLA,

I've just re-read your OP and may have misunderstood it.

I've just tried the Austrian stainless mug on the Pathfinder bottle and although it sits fairly high it sort of 'locates'.
(The Austrian mug fits near perfect on the Brit '58 pattern bottle and is closer in profile to the Crusader mug than that of the Pathfinder mug).

If the Crusader mug (which fits the Brit '58 pattern bottle) has a slightly larger mouth area it might just fit the Pathfinder bottle.

I might be able to get my hands on a Mk1 mug later this week to try it if you can wait out.

Alternatively, I reckon that if the Austrian mug were heated up, forced onto the (full) Pathfinder bottle and then allowed to cool off it might adjust to fit - maybe the same with the Crusader.

I understand your rationale re multi-purpose/function, I'm that way myself. On that subject -

FYI - The handle of the Pathfinder mug is long when compared to '44/'58/Crusader.
Like the Austrian mug it is intended for scooping and for use in an open fire bed (the pathfinder mug already has a knife/bayonet slot in the handle - the Austrian mug is easily adapted with a couple of wire loops for knife or better still a suitable stick). Perhaps not so easy with the wire type handles of other mugs.

I prefer the Austrian mug over the Pathfinder, the latter which I think has a narrower profile similar to the US '44 pattern mug and not as good for boil-in-bag meals.

I have used the Pathfinder bottle in a fire bed on one occasion to see how long it would take to boil (best part of 30 minutes) but after someone commented that the bottle is made in two parts and has a seam (I think it was on BCUK) I thought that it might be something not best practiced on a frequent basis.:)

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
I have the wide mouth round bottle and cup and found them to be well made and worth the price. I havn't handled or used the pattern your interested in, but imagine it is just as well made.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I no longer have one didn't get on with the cup handle - I bought the army style one and it came with a pouch that was cheaply made and rather naff I tried several mil style pouches and none fit

I do have a helikon essentials kit bag that I'd imagine would fit perfectly but these days I use a GI bottle and stainless cup/lid

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
I no longer have one didn't get on with the cup handle - I bought the army style one and it came with a pouch that was cheaply made and rather naff I tried several mil style pouches and none fit

I do have a helikon essentials kit bag that I'd imagine would fit perfectly but these days I use a GI bottle and stainless cup/lid

I had noticed the sheaths and the like for the pathfinder stuff lets them down. Does it not fit in the old USGI alice type pouches?

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up,

Not wishing to steal trade from Hibrion but I have a Danish M84 water bottle carrier which I thought was a copy of the Brit equipment. The pathfinder set fits perfectly. Give me a while and I will post an image of it.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
I have the stove set up that i use with a standard american canteen. A nice piece of kit but i wouldn't buy the full set up.

Tonyuk

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up,

That night be a wise move Tonyuk.

Whilst it is nice to have H20/burner/mug/lid and fuel all in one compact (belt mountable) kit I eventually reverted to my Swedish Army Trangia and 2 x 1 litre plastic bottles (1 x Brit '58 and 1 x Dutch 1 litre) and the Austrian stainless mug.

You have probably read my concern about the seam on the Pathfinder bottle and noticed the slight mod that I have made to the burner.

I found that used the intended way up the burner was less efficient than inverted and with the two tent pegs as shown. (I had to knock them out for the pic yesterday as I had reused them elsewhere when the Pathfinder set was relegated to the car).

UKYanky

Tenderfoot
Jan 25, 2017
Grantham
I have the bottle version and love it, it has quickly become part of my standard use kit. Particularly if I'm just on a day hike with the Mrs. I use a bit of folded tin to use as a windbreak and it all fits into (inc firekit) a 10 quid bottle pouch from ebay.
Its also great using it in conjunction with a folding stove such as the Firebox type.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Aye Up,

That night be a wise move Tonyuk.

Whilst it is nice to have H20/burner/mug/lid and fuel all in one compact (belt mountable) kit I eventually reverted to my Swedish Army Trangia and 2 x 1 litre plastic bottles (1 x Brit '58 and 1 x Dutch 1 litre) and the Austrian stainless mug.

You have probably read my concern about the seam on the Pathfinder bottle and noticed the slight mod that I have made to the burner.

I found that used the intended way up the burner was less efficient than inverted and with the two tent pegs as shown. (I had to knock them out for the pic yesterday as I had reused them elsewhere when the Pathfinder set was relegated to the car).

I just turn my mug the opposite way around and press it in, works perfectly. I wrote a bit about fuels for the burner a while ago. Found it;

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=140692

I'm still a big fan of the chafing gel compared to others.

Tonyuk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE