Anybody knows what's up with sasskit?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

edelweiss

Sep 27, 2011
Austria
Hi,

I've been wondering lately whether sasskit are still in business? I bought a DPM smock from them about two years ago. That's when they last updated
their homepage it seems. I'm interested in buying one of their OD or tan smocks ... sent them an email a while ago, never got a reply. Both smocks
have been listed as out of stock for ages now on their website. Can anybody shed some light on this?

TIA,
Ferdinand

edelweiss

Sep 27, 2011
Austria
Thanks alot for actually calling them! That's very nice of you!

Still it's a pity that they won't resupply anytime soon. It seems there are few to none other suppliers of single colored (non camo) smocks out there - at least in this layout and pocket
configuration.

Again, thanks alot for clearing things up a bit for me!

Mike8472

Jul 28, 2009
west yorkshire
I spoke to paul at sass two days ago he intermated that he is moving more into the militaria collectibles market as that is where his interests are.

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
a shame if its calling an end to the smock making side of things, however, probably easier ways of making a living. i shall miss the option of their products if so.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
a shame if its calling an end to the smock making side of things, however, probably easier ways of making a living. i shall miss the option of their products if so.
Agreed but I suppose with DPM being phased out and MTP being closely controlled by the MOD making smocks for folk might be getting tougher...

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I had a smock off them early last year. I wanted the sand or tan colour but it was out of stock back then, 7 they only had a small amount of the OD left. As johnnyboy says, there should be no one other than service personel wearing the new pattern, as it is strickly controled, with possibly a patent(?)of some sort on it to stop it being copied. There is also talk of arrests/prosecutions of "civvies" who obtain it, from what ever source. But then it did used to be an offence to wear military kit if you were'nt a serving soldier/airman/sailor, i recal some mouthy youth being fined 15 shillings for wearing a great coat back in the day..

Rob

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
It'd be nice if they'd clamp down on all these thieving twats selling knocked of rat packs.

I've a mate serving somewhere sandy right now, and I know for a fact there are shortages in logistics of them. Yet they are plastered all over a certain auction site that takes no responsibility for being the biggest fence of stolen gear in the UK today IMHO.

3 months in prison would sort these thieving gits out.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
You can buy MTP pattern clothing (might not be issue kit?)on the net,you can buy the US version as well, which is very similar how would you go about policing such stuff? so long as its not stolen form MoD stock's its fine by me.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I spoke to paul at sass two days ago he intermated that he is moving more into the militaria collectibles market as that is where his interests are.

lets hope they make a few replicas a SASSKit ww2 windproof in ventile would be very cool indeed :D

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
You can buy MTP pattern clothing (might not be issue kit?)on the net,you can buy the US version as well, which is very similar how would you go about policing such stuff? so long as its not stolen form MoD stock's its fine by me.
IIRC when MTP was introduced the MOD stated that the MTP pattern is patented and they would look to enforce the patent. While Multicam is very similar and there is a mix of kit in use currently as the MTP issue become wider then I suspect Multicam items will drop off.Also I detect a bit of a change in the way soldiers view their kit... Back in the day if you could get away with a Non issued bit of kit say lik ea kit karry smock then you would it was seen as Gucchi and a bit ally... Then again you were comparing a kit karry to an 85 pattern smock. The blokes these days seem to take the view that the issue kit is not that bad and they rather spend their beer tokens on beer rather then Gucchi smocks ...

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
agree with that staement, the new kit is very very good stuff for a mss produced military uniform. why splash out to get something as good as whats free?

somebody mentioned a ww2 ventile? from sass? now that....would be worth splashing some readies on!
IIRC when MTP was introduced the MOD stated that the MTP pattern is patented and they would look to enforce the patent. While Multicam is very similar and there is a mix of kit in use currently as the MTP issue become wider then I suspect Multicam items will drop off.Also I detect a bit of a change in the way soldiers view their kit... Back in the day if you could get away with a Non issued bit of kit say lik ea kit karry smock then you would it was seen as Gucchi and a bit ally... Then again you were comparing a kit karry to an 85 pattern smock. The blokes these days seem to take the view that the issue kit is not that bad and they rather spend their beer tokens on beer rather then Gucchi smocks ...

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
I had a cracking ww2 tan windproof made for me by a guy from Sheffield(cant think of anymore details) he was a blacksmith who made ww2 kit but also the odd smock,used to adverise in gunmart,sold it in with a bundle of ww2 stuff(commando bergen,webbing,etc etc) when i gave up re enacting regret giving some of it up to this day!

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
It'd be nice if they'd clamp down on all these thieving twats selling knocked of rat packs.

I've a mate serving somewhere sandy right now, and I know for a fact there are shortages in logistics of them. Yet they are plastered all over a certain auction site that takes no responsibility for being the biggest fence of stolen gear in the UK today IMHO.

3 months in prison would sort these thieving gits out.

It's true that most being sold on ebay in bulk are probably nicked. But some of the new ones can be sourced direct from the manufacture and legitimately sold. Also those selling just one or two can probably do so with a reasonably clear conscience- if they have been issued them, and they are surplus to requirements. I have just donated almost 30 complete 24 hr rat packs to the Scouts that i have been issued, but not used myself. Don't kid yourself that the relatively small numbers being sold off will make any dent in any logistics problems experienced by the army overseas. Its small fry when you consider in only one month just a platoon of troops will get through a little shy of 1000 of the things. It really will make no difference.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I've tried over the months to get hold of some of the trousers that he makes out the Ventile-type cotton. Last I heard was that he was still trying to get hold of the fabric and didn't expect to get his hands on some for a l-o-n-g while (i.e. don't get your hopes up, mate!). So, sadly and reluctantly, I've given up the hope of getting hold of a pair of the SASS Kit trousers, which is a real pity. Needless to say, I haven't bothered to look elsewhere because no-one seems to offer the quality and the custom sizing for a comparable price. Unless anyone knows different...

Dec 16, 2007
What I want is a set of S95 trousers in plain tan or OD. I find them very comfy and hard wearing. It would be easier to find rocking horse scat and pick hens teeth out of it than to get them. Now it I wanted US style M65 combat bottoms I can get them in all colours of the rainbow.

Monk

Forager
Jun 20, 2004
outandabout
Mike8472,

did paul specifically mention he was stopping making smocks?

I had planned to get something made down the road with thme and this might speed up/alter my plans. If a person supplied the fabric...colud they make it?

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
It's true that most being sold on ebay in bulk are probably nicked. But some of the new ones can be sourced direct from the manufacture and legitimately sold. Also those selling just one or two can probably do so with a reasonably clear conscience- if they have been issued them, and they are surplus to requirements. I have just donated almost 30 complete 24 hr rat packs to the Scouts that i have been issued, but not used myself. Don't kid yourself that the relatively small numbers being sold off will make any dent in any logistics problems experienced by the army overseas. Its small fry when you consider in only one month just a platoon of troops will get through a little shy of 1000 of the things. It really will make no difference.

Ration packs for civilian disposal are clearly marked as such, and there are some companies out there whom sell those, and those only, to the public. Those are the ones I buy. The ones on a certain auction site are usually stolen, and there have been arrests within the MOD regards the same.

I remember years ago when the aircrew watches were practically unobtainable because they were all going onto a certain site as it started to get popular, people were getting booted from the service over it. The MOD were taking that seriously, as they had an NSN value of about £90 IIRC when you peeled off the lift tab on the packaging. They are going the same way now with other, lower value kit. Thankfully.

With ratpacks, if you are issued them and you dont use them, then they are to be returned to stores. It states that clearly in Queens Rules and Regs. It's classed as theft to do otherwise. They are NOT your property to give away en masse. The argument of they are yours to be eaten, well, ammunition is yours to be fired, you dont give that away either. Jackets and combat rig is yours to be worn, but again, you dont give it away. And up in size it goes. It's a function of scale, but it amounts to the same thing. Theft from the Government.

Regards the 'does it make much difference' argument, well, maybe if people stopped doing it, situations would improve. Looking at the cost of the things, the new experimental ones I'm seeing right now are over £20 per unit cost cost to the MOD, and I'd be pretty unhappy at seeing 30 of those given away, no matter what the deemed good cause. Frankly, I dont see 30 off them as a 'small amount' in any case.

Our opinions differ greatly, obviously, and if I get flamed for having and opinion the same as the official line on the matter, then fair enough, but I'll say it like it is.

We flame benefit cheats for nicking from the taxpayer, so how is kit theft different?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE