Any Tabasco lovers on here ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
LOL. Don't believe what you see on Man Vs Food; wiki either for that matter. You might be right about the Scotch Bonnet though; never tried one but Food network listed it as the same pepper as Habaero and Thai Peppers. All that said, I suspect even the same species of chili might be hotter when grown in one plac over another.

As for there being hotter peppers that AREN"T considered edible, IIRC the ones that are considered edible are the coolest 8%-10%

The original Tabasco was/is made from Jalepenos (considered around the middle of the scale of edible although I've found wide variation from 1 Jalepeno to another) There is a Habanero Tabasco out now also.

I believe what I see (mostly) and some of what I read! I don’t know your source of info, perhaps if I did I would be more inclined to take your word for it rather what Wiki or Man vs Food has to say (I don’t see that my source of info is any more or less reliable than yours – unless you know different?:)), besides if you would have seen his face, the sweat and his swollen lips, you would believe that he did what he showed himself doing.

Anyhow, like I said earlier, I have tried a Habanero chili with a Scoville rating of 100,000 – 350,000 and don’t really want to try it again … I like chilies and spray Tear gas in my mouth as a breath freshener – GRRR‼‼, but my rear end and I don’t like each other the next day after a hot curry!

I have a bottle of ‘Who Dares Wins’ by Hot-Headz (www.hot-headz.com), which has a ‘Caution: avoid contact with eyes and sensitive skin.’ And although it doesn’t have a SHU on it does go to Aaaaah‼ on its scale of heat. I bought it in the UK (Tel 01453731052), phone them and buy some. (Not connection to seller)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I believe what I see (mostly) and some of what I read! I don’t know your source of info, perhaps if I did I would be more inclined to take your word for it rather what Wiki or Man vs Food has to say (I don’t see that my source of info is any more or less reliable than yours – unless you know different?:)), besides if you would have seen his face, the sweat and his swollen lips, you would believe that he did what he showed himself doing.

Anyhow, like I said earlier, I have tried a Habanero chili with a Scoville rating of 100,000 – 350,000 and don’t really want to try it again … I like chilies and spray Tear gas in my mouth as a breath freshener – GRRR‼‼, but my rear end and I don’t like each other the next day after a hot curry!

I have a bottle of ‘Who Dares Wins’ by Hot-Headz (www.hot-headz.com), which has a ‘Caution: avoid contact with eyes and sensitive skin.’ And although it doesn’t have a SHU on it does go to Aaaaah‼ on its scale of heat. I bought it in the UK (Tel 01453731052), phone them and buy some. (Not connection to seller)

LOL. I'm sure both our sources are probably about equal in reliability. I just don't trust "reality" shows (which is how I generally think of Man vs Food) I'm sure the tears and pain were real but we really can onlt take his word for what he was actually eating. And although I also use Wiki for a starting point, I've seen too many errors about items where I had more personal experience.

Thanks for the heads up on "Who Dares Wins." I might have to give it a try if the postage isn't too daunting.

northumbrian

Settler
Dec 25, 2009
newcastle upon tyne
i to love the hot ones best chillies that is lol. I grow different varieties every year in a unheated greenhouse at the bottom of my garden. Last years were bhut jolokia which is 3 times hotter than any hahanero variety ! fatalii chilli which is a habanero from africa, and the normal cayenne's and jalapeno's.The bhut jolokia is very hard to germanate up here as its native country is northern india where its a bit warmer lol.i sowed 10 seeds and only 1 germanated of which i only got a couple of baby chillies the first year,if these baby ones are anything to go on i dont ever want to try a full sized one ! i bit off just the tinest bit about a couple of mm and it tasted nice and fruity at first a bit like a scotch bonnet but then the pain started, level ten on the pain chart and my mouth tried to cool me down by producing vast ammounts of saliva which poured straight out of my mouth all of this continued for about 30 mins, never again !

Last edited:

northumbrian

Settler
Dec 25, 2009
newcastle upon tyne
Just Wikipedia’d this one and they say that the Red Savina pepper is the hottest Stable (Cultivar) pepper, but …
“The chilis with the highest rating on the Scoville scale exceed one million Scoville units, and include specimens of naga jolokia or bhut jolokia and its cultivars, the "Dorset naga" and the "Ghost chili," neither of which has official cultivar status” (From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).

Also been watching the program ‘Man Vs Food’ and this chap eats a burger with the four hottest chillies around, the Scotch Bonnet is the coolest, the hottest was a chilli that was around 1,000,000 SHUs.:campfire:
i think i saw an episode when in new york he had hot wings that were marinated in hot peppers with habaneros and bhut jolokias on top,i think he managed only 3 of them,lol.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
i to love the hot ones best chillies that is lol. I grow different varieties every year in a unheated greenhouse at the bottom of my garden. Last years were bhut jolokia which is 3 times hotter than any hahanero variety ! fatalii chilli which is a habanero from africa, and the normal cayenne's and jalapeno's.The bhut jolokia is very hard to germanate up here as its native country is northern india...

ALL chilis originate in the new world. There were none in India before Columbus sailed.

i to love the hot ones best chillies that is lol. I grow different varieties every year in a unheated greenhouse at the bottom of my garden. Last years were bhut jolokia which is 3 times hotter than any hahanero variety ! fatalii chilli which is a habanero from africa, and the normal cayenne's and jalapeno's.The bhut jolokia is very hard to germanate up here as its native country is northern india where its a bit warmer lol.i sowed 10 seeds and only 1 germanated of which i only got a couple of baby chillies the first year,if these baby ones are anything to go on i dont ever want to try a full sized one ! i bit off just the tinest bit about a couple of mm and it tasted nice and fruity at first a bit like a scotch bonnet but then the pain started, level ten on the pain chart and my mouth tried to cool me down by producing vast ammounts of saliva which poured straight out of my mouth all of this continued for about 30 mins, never again !

The only issue with chilies grown in very small batches, like one plant, is with pollination. I believe that unless a plant can self pollinate it must cross pollinate with another variety, which many not be another hot variety, but a milder one. If this is the case you don’t really know what you are getting when the fruit appears.

Anyone any thoughts on this matter?

On another point, I was told by a UK born Vietnamese that taking a leak on chilly plants makes it get hotter … the nutrient value I guess. He said that all of his kids relieved themselves on the chilies as they were growing – it also saved him having to water the plants throughout the summer as well!

northumbrian

Settler
Dec 25, 2009
newcastle upon tyne
ALL chilis originate in the new world. There were none in India before Columbus sailed.

me knows,me chillihead! before they were introduced to india the indians used local black pepper to heat up their food !the fatalii actually comes from the freed slaves taking some carribian chillies back home to africa resulting in this particular strain of chilli.ps i think i read somewhere of a chilli originating in australia called the broome chilli ?

Last edited:

northumbrian

Settler
Dec 25, 2009
newcastle upon tyne
The only issue with chilies grown in very small batches, like one plant, is with pollination. I believe that unless a plant can self pollinate it must cross pollinate with another variety, which many not be another hot variety, but a milder one. If this is the case you don’t really know what you are getting when the fruit appears.

Anyone any thoughts on this matter?

On another point, I was told by a UK born Vietnamese that taking a leak on chilly plants makes it get hotter … the nutrient value I guess. He said that all of his kids relieved themselves on the chilies as they were growing – it also saved him having to water the plants throughout the summer as well!
true about cross polination serius growers take great care not to by covering a plant with very fine netting o stop airbourne and insect cross polination, but i only grow them for the fact that they are not meant to grow in newcastle and for the taste,lol
:p ps i dont know about peaing directly on the plant, but if i have been having trouble with a slow compost bin i fill a 2 litre pop bottle up with said liquid lol, and let it brew for a week or two and use it as a compost activator.

Last edited:

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
There's always a bottle of McIlhenny's Habanero Sauce on our kitchen table, and some in my Swedish army cookset. My favourite with things like corned beef hash. But I prefer Worcester Sauce on an omelette.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I find that I end up with a surplus of the wee bottles of tabasco from Rat Packs and these end up in my general camp cooking pack.
A bottle of red or green certainly adds something to a powdered egg omelette!
For wild food(ie greens and roots) stew, tabasco is realy needed outside of the Ransom season...

I find that I end up with a surplus of the wee bottles of tabasco from Rat Packs and these end up in my general camp cooking pack.
A bottle of red or green certainly adds something to a powdered egg omelette!
For wild food(ie greens and roots) stew, tabasco is realy needed outside of the Ransom season...

I buy my Tobasco in the 350ml bottles and they don't last me very long, anything smaller just ain't worth the trouble!:cool:

salan

Nomad
Jun 3, 2007
Cheshire
Here is where I go fort some 'kick'
www.[B]hot[/B]-headz.com/
I like radioactive but I have a bottle of 'the source' Now that is serious stuff!
7 million su.
I can use half a teaspoon in a curry and peeps moan at it being too hot.
My son in laws dad tried a neat spoonfull of it and we were really worried about him fo 24 hours. He said it was as painfull the next day on the loo! lol
Alan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE