Any skateboarders out there in bushcraft land?

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Hi folks,
I'm on the scrounge again i'm afraid. Can any one spare a few inches of old school grip tape? Somewhere I have the remains of a piece I bought about 20 years ago but for the life of me I can't find it.

i appreciate I can get some off eBay but I really don't need the amounts I'd have to buy as I just use it for strikers on waterproof match boxes etc.

i have some excellent watertight testing stip tubs to swap that take standard sized strike anywhere matches (England's Glory etc) if that helps.

cheers!

Tom

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
Hi folks,
I'm on the scrounge again i'm afraid. Can any one spare a few inches of old school grip tape? Somewhere I have the remains of a piece I bought about 20 years ago but for the life of me I can't find it.

i appreciate I can get some off eBay but I really don't need the amounts I'd have to buy as I just use it for strikers on waterproof match boxes etc.

i have some excellent watertight testing stip tubs to swap that take standard sized strike anywhere matches (England's Glory etc) if that helps.

cheers!

Tom

forgive me if this is a daft question :)

But why grip tape and not say a piece of sandpaper?

skate

Nomad
Apr 13, 2010
East Devon
My name might be a clue :) but that was a long time ago. If you don't have any luck on the forum, how about a skateboard shop. They must sell it in small lengths.

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
Spent most of my teens on a skate board happy days.you can buy strips of grip tape on wood flooring websites as grip for stair treads.but like someone's already mentioned a bit of sandpaper n glues a lot easier too come buy

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Unfortunately from long experience sandpaper wears out very quickly, it also tends to fall apart when it gets wet unlike grip tape. Wet and dry paper isn't as course as i like and tends to stain whatever it gets in touch with when it gets wet and the glue on grip tape is also wonderful stuff and sticks like poo to a blanket . I've some match cases that have been in weekly if not daily use since I made them back in 1989 or 1990 ( my last year at uni anyway) and they still have the original tape on them. One of them has been on my key ring the whole time so has been battered everyday.

I live out in the sticks so there ain't any skateboard shops. No worries i'll just have to buy a full foot of it off ebay. A bit of a waste. Teaches me to keep track of what I've got!

cheers

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Ha ha! Looking for something else I found the piece ancient grip tape amongst a load of modellers plasticard i had squirrelled away, why I put it there I have no idea. Still good and sticky So I will punch out some discs to make striker boards on the match safes I made for the family.

:D

Tom

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
AWW CR**

I have a roll of grip tape Tom - could have put some in your parcel - shout if you need more

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
AWW CR**

I have a roll of grip tape Tom - could have put some in your parcel - shout if you need more

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
No worries but thanks for the thought. I've about a square foot left and since I only use 20p sized bits of it that will last me forever, till I hide it again. It really does make great strikers and I used a piece on a leetle SOE thumb knifes grip to get a positive purchase in the wet. I've still got that somewhere.

ATB

tom

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Its great for clamps on guns too (things like scope mounts, extended tubes on shotguns) - great grip and no paint scratches

gowersponger

Settler
Oct 28, 2009
swansea
hi mate iam a skater I griped my oldschool reissue deck 3 days ago and had loads of of cuts if only I had seen this post 3 days ago I would of sent it to you , plus kept a bit to make a match tub my self thanks for the idear any way .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE