Any Nikon D90 owners?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
As per the title...Any Nikon D90 owners?

Comments, happy, pros and cons

Ta very much

Andy

yep i have been using one pretty much since they first came out, i love it, the ISO performance is superb and its very usuable at iso's as high as 1600 to 2000.

nice handling and balance. battery life is excellent

HD video is a bit so-so and i never use it, but the quality from it is very good.

Carbuncle

Forager
Jan 12, 2009
Merseyside
I've got one with just the kit lens. No complaints feature wise, photos tend to come out a little undersaturated but easilly fixed. Can't think of any gotchas, other than the fact it's a little on the bulky/heavy side - I'd have got the D5000 if they were out at the time.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
Thanks Mr, what lenses are you using?

I have:

Nikkor 35mm f1.8
Nikkor 50mm f1.8
Sigma 10-20mm f3.5-4.5
Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4.5
Tokina 100mm f1.8 Macro
Sigma 100-300mm f4
Sigma 1.4x TC
Sigma EM 140 DG macro flash
Nikon SB-600 flashgun
and a bundle of cokin filters etc etc

I brought it body only as i didnt like the standard lens and already had some nikon fit goodies anyway, my brother and i share equipment to to keep costs down

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
Oh, what a lot :)

I’ve always bought and used lenses from the same manufacturer but I’ve heard really good things about the Sigma 10-20mm f3.5-4.5 is it as good as they say?

(http://www.sigma-imaging-uk.com/lenses/dclenses/10-20mmEX.htm)

yes and no, its very good for wide angle architectural shots but it suffers badly from corner softness and vignetting wide open and is quite slow. stopped down its fine and i really like it, i mainly use it in low light on a tripod stopped down. it also has quite a bit of distortion and focuses close which can make for very interesting creative photos! i do like this lens and use it regularly, however for bang for your buck i can really recommend the sigma 17-70mm HSM lens. its sharp, focuses close and is a good walkabout lens.

there is also a new 10-20 that has a constant aperture of f3.5 but i havent tried it.

this is an example of the comedy distortion with the 10-20
n36702246_30947740_8572.jpg

n508501119_1930568_6547.jpg

n36702246_30947741_9060.jpg

Last edited:

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Intgeresting, thanks for that, the guy I know who has one raves about it, but then I don't think he really knows what he's talking about.

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Very good camera.

My wife uses on ( i have the D300) and it gives great results (it shares about 70% of the same technology as my D300 i believe)

She uses the standard kit 18-105mm lens
a 70-300mm
She also loves close up work and has the 85mm macro

All give fantastic results

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
Intgeresting, thanks for that, the guy I know who has one raves about it, but then I don't think he really knows what he's talking about.

yeah i really rate it, if i had the cash i would get the d300 (same sensor) for a few of the extra features and build 'robustness' but i dont lol, its a very capable camera with impressive performance, i particularly got it cos of the high iso performance and i do a lot of low light/high shutter speed stuff (wildlife etc and internal architecture. the D90 is a solid camera though, wont stand up to pro abuse but i have had it in the rain and down some caves etc and i use it as a tool ( i.e. it gets chucked about etc) and its still perfect.

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
If anyone has read this who owns the direct competition to the D90, I’d be interested to know why you like what you bought!

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
Hi,

I have a D90, I owned since Christmas. You cannot go wrong with it. I repeat. You cannot go wrong with it.

Read a fantasticly detailed review here, that guy knows his stuff: http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d90.htm (no connection yada yada)

I use an old Sigma lens (28-70mm) that came with the camera (not a very good lens) but the images are still spectacular. I got my camera with the lens used off the evilbay, and it works a charm.

Once I got the money, I'll get me a Nikkor wide angle lens, but that'll be some time.

IMHO the D90 is better than the D5000 because of (1) the small info screen on the top (2) the added control dials (3) and the fact that it does not have swivel screen ( i.e. more robust, and you can protect the screen with protective glass, as mine is), and (4) the ease and joy to use it.

I personally really like the Nikon menu and handling better than the others (Canon, Pentax, Sony)... But I guess you cannot really go wrong with any of these too.

ATB

Mike

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
Hi,

I have a D90, I owned since Christmas. You cannot go wrong with it. I repeat. You cannot go wrong with it.

Read a fantasticly detailed review here, that guy knows his stuff: http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d90.htm (no connection yada yada)

I use an old Sigma lens (28-70mm) that came with the camera (not a very good lens) but the images are still spectacular. I got my camera with the lens used off the evilbay, and it works a charm.

Once I got the money, I'll get me a Nikkor wide angle lens, but that'll be some time.

IMHO the D90 is better than the D5000 because of (1) the small info screen on the top (2) the added control dials (3) and the fact that it does not have swivel screen ( i.e. more robust, and you can protect the screen with protective glass, as mine is), and (4) the ease and joy to use it.

I personally really like the Nikon menu and handling better than the others (Canon, Pentax, Sony)... But I guess you cannot really go wrong with any of these too.

ATB

Mike

for a cheap and stunning lens get the nikon 35mm f1.8 (around £160) or the 50mm f1.8 (around £90) they really are superb

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Luckily in my existing kit I still have my lenses for my Nikon F90pro, so with the x1.5 factor from 35mm to digi, that should take care of the long end of the range. I assume I couldn’t use the super short digi lenses on my F90 because their coverage circle would cause severe vignetting.

Anyone want a Hasselblad kit, I doubt I’ll use it again :)

A lot of the reviews criticise the D90’s time to focus, and certainly in some of the videos it seems to take an age, is it really that and is it an issue?

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
Luckily in my existing kit I still have my lenses for my Nikon F90pro, so with the x1.5 factor from 35mm to digi, that should take care of the long end of the range. I assume I couldn’t use the super short digi lenses on my F90 because their coverage circle would cause severe vignetting.

Anyone want a Hasselblad kit, I doubt I’ll use it again :)

A lot of the reviews criticise the D90’s time to focus, and certainly in some of the videos it seems to take an age, is it really that and is it an issue?

no you couldnt i tried the 10-20mm on a full frame and it really doesnt work at all! you get a circular image with massive vignetting!

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
Thought so, thanks anyway :)

Do you have any focus time issues?

do you mean focus time issues as in the autofocus speed?

if thats what you mean no i dont, its blisteringly fast with all the nikkor primes, its a bit slow with the macro prime (when at large magnifications) but thats usual for macros and i use it manual focus anyway, the sigma are all good, the 10-20 hunts a bit in low light but at 10mm and infinity most stuff is in focus lol :D the 17-70mm is very good, the 100-300 is also very good, the TC slows it down a bit but not really that much but thats usual for TC's aswell. They are both HSM and that seems to speed them up, you dont need HSM motors to focus though as it has a focus motor in the body, the HSM lenses are a bit quieter though.

its good to focus, accurate and fast generally i have found, the 35mm prime is by far the fastest focusing lens though

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Yes, that's what I meant, and yes, most of the video reviews I've seen that moan about focus time have been demonstrated in extreem macro using that move the focus point function.

Thanks for that, I think the decision is made :)

Unless that is anyone has anything else to say!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE