Any good ideas?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

youngbushcrafter

Tenderfoot
Jun 16, 2011
Scotland
Im doing a one off backwoods cooking course in the northish of scotland and for meat so far have Rabbit and Fish, ANY good ideas welcome! (was deep in thought about it so i thought id ask the experts;))
Thanks!
Harry

Chasing Rainbows

Tenderfoot
Oct 13, 2011
Central Scotland
If you're near the sea I think it's still a good time for shellfish and seaweed. Maybe some dried fruits with the rabbit. Nuts roasted in the fire are a favourite winter treat too (or would go nicely chopped in the bannock).

carabao

Forager
Oct 16, 2011
hove
Stuff the rabbits stomach with soaked barley, finely chopped carrot, onion and celery (garlic if you wish), sew the belly up rub oil all over it season with salt and pepper, wrap in a foil blanket and slow roast on embers turning often for about 30 40 minutes (if embers are scorchio place to the side of of the fire), remove leave to rest and enjoy, if you wish soak the barley with a dram of whiskey

winst0nsmith

Tenderfoot
Jan 8, 2012
South West Wales
Rabbit baked in mustard powder/seasoned flour is lush.

Most fish cook well when seasoned, stuffed with a slice of lemmon, a knob of butter and herbs of thy choice; wrap in foil and cook in the ashes.

Hope you enjoy your grub :)

Last edited:

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Im doing a one off backwoods cooking course in the northish of scotland and for meat so far have Rabbit and Fish, ANY good ideas welcome! (was deep in thought about it so i thought id ask the experts;))
Thanks!
Harry

Not sure what kind of 'good ideas' you are looking for:

?recipes
?type of stuff to cook

I don't have vast experience in this topic but I would have thought that if you are going on a cooking course then the people running it would provide the dead animals/fish and be teaching you how to skin/fillet/prepare it for the pot

Re type of stuff I'd say grey/black squirrel is a must - as I understand it, because it is vermin, there are fewer restrictions on catching it - eg re methods or timing. Also I believe it is illegal to release a live grey squrrel back into the wild.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE