Any christian bushcrafter?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Oh ok.

Let's just see where this one goes then...

:rolleyes:

Not that I'm a thread de-railer but I'll give it another ten minutes max

For the record I have been christened and had a christian wedding ceremony a couple of years ago. I don't go to church except for weddings, christenings and funerals.

stephendedwards

Tenderfoot
Dec 26, 2006
Wales
Seems to me that the rules are pretty clear and there can be no dispute on that one. However, it also seems to me that the title line was also pretty clear, so for those who object for what ever reason, why not just pass the thread by? If you don't like contention over issues of religion then exercise your right not to engage with the question; unless you have other motivations.

I can understand why people want to keep the forum a-religious but it would appear that the definition of religion seems pretty arbitary. After all there are those who use ids which are religious but no one objects to that. Is it possible that it is only certain types of religion that is being objected to?

Finally I think that religion comes in for a lot of unwarranted bad press about being contentious. Yes it is something that can be held deeply by individuals but does that make it private, no, because its outworking is to found in every aspect of peoples public life. Further it does not require something to be personal for it to be contentious. I know of forums where the mention of engine oil will engender no end of sniping.

Stephen
PS for the record I will not be responding to any replies to this posting no matter how tempting - promise!

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
is this where i walk into this powderkeg thread with a lit match proclaiming i'm a druid?

agree'd religion should stay for the religious forums. however i will say Elenias i understand what you mean about nature allowing you to meditate and be at peace and so learn more about your own religion through your own self discovery.
right there with you, however like i say serious powderkeg ;)
toodles.

Mang

Settler
Maybe not Christian thoughts but when in the countryside I often think about all the things that can be used around you and provided by mother nature, this powerful force that is currently erupting and yet you can't see her/ it.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Seriously I'm not discussing/comparing religions, I just wanted to know if some people had the same reasons for bushcrafting as I do.
Is there a need to be fussy?

Anyway, I know that religion can be controversial, but it only is controversial when you make it controversial its not the point.
the fact I believe in Jesus is something really important in my life, does that mean I can't get on with a muslim or an atheist? not at all.
I think it's possible to love and respect someone who doesnt share the same view that you have.
I am sure that, for example lots of people have a different concept of what the best bushcraft knife is, does that mean they have to hate each other and slagg off each other?
not really, if you're not christian, then please just see this thread as something that is irrelevant to you and your lifestyle and not as something offensive because it really isnt.

peace.

I decided in my mid-teens that my God didn't live in a church. Buildings and the constrictive doctrine that came with them were not part of my spiritual experience. Divinity feels like a ribbon that runs through nature. The spirit to which St Patricks breastplate to which was authored felt more like what my personal spiritual beliefs are than the complex dogma that I was taught in RE. I would go and pray under a tree, but not with words just peace in my mind. I examined many faiths, when I was in my early twenties I decided the label of Pagan fitted how I worshipped better than anything else I looked at. Religions are labels that followers of a set path say is the right one, but like walking up snowdon it is only when you reach the top that you can see many paths lead to the summit not just one.

Peace.

Dec 23, 2008
County Durham
Surely if you're a Christian then any time can be a time to pray?

Anyway, wasn't Jesus a carpenter? He must've went fishing with some of his buddies and whittled out a spoon while waiting for the fish to cook over the fire.
Even the son of God needed to chill every so often.

That's sounds quite bushcrafty to me

St Osric of the Brotherhood of the blessed Dutch Oven and Holy Iron Tripod

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Im not a Christian or think about such things when im out etc but, i dont see why people cant talk about it if they want to? as with everything these days i suppose you might offend someone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE