Anvil maker identification ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I have finally got around to pressure washing the gunge off my London pattern anvil, but the makers marks are very faint. It looks like Ibbotson or Tillotson over Sheffield, on the other side are the weight marks 1.0.17 which are the weight in cwt & 1/4cwt & lbs making it 129lbs

I know Ibbotson were tool makers and I cant find any trace of them making anvils. Tillotson were either makers or exporters of anvils to America which sourced their anvils from Mousehole Forge.

Can anyone please help with better Identification?

Cheers

Chris

Last edited:

VaughnT

Forager
Oct 23, 2013
Lost in South Carolina
Hit it with a wire brush to knock off the dirt and loose rust, that scatter on some chalk powder, flour or other white stuff. That will make the lettering pop out considerably.

Very nice looking anvil, and I don't doubt that it wills serve you well over the next century or two.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I don't recognise either of the makers names, but there were hundreds at one point.

Looks like a fine anvil.
All the best
Andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE