Antler Needle Tutorial

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

PatrickM

Nomad
Sep 7, 2005
Glasgow
www.backwoodsurvival.co.uk
Antler, like bone is a very useful by-product of animals and can be fashioned into may items that are of use when living in the wilds. This is just one way of making a needle.

needle1.jpg

Refer to thread "Important Piece of Kit? Tutorial" to see how to get to this stage. After splitting the antler, select the piece for the needle

needle2.jpg

Using flint scrape away brown surface layer

needle3.jpg

Abrade soft inner core away on sandstone

needle4.jpg

Select drill, this one has a small drill head made of flint

needle5.jpg

Drill in the eye, a small slither of wood inserted into split in wood will help to hold it steady

needle6.jpg

Eye of the needle completed

needle7.jpg

Abrade needle to required width

needle8.jpg

Scrape with flint to a rounded finish

needle9.jpg

A handy item with all sorts of uses !

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Again, much appreciated! That drill set is a work of art. Not sure how you are using it though without a socket. Just rocking it back and forth a bit?

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
Hoodoo, look closer, I think this is how it works, the bottom section is like a bobbin with the dowell fixed in place, the top section which is being held by hand fits over the dowell, you can apply pressure with this hand and apply rotaion by the bow on the seperate bobbin. Hope that makes sense.

Porcupine

Forager
Aug 24, 2005
Leek,The Netherlands
the 4th picture shows where the border between the different parts is,basicly its an hourglass shape on an axle,the top end of the axle is in the handle.

very nice way to do it btw,simple and effective,most tutorials i see the man does things in smart ways,has equipment that is pleasing to the eye and not more complicated then needed.(great pictures too ;) )

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
steve a said:
Hoodoo, look closer, I think this is how it works, the bottom section is like a bobbin with the dowell fixed in place, the top section which is being held by hand fits over the dowell, you can apply pressure with this hand and apply rotaion by the bow on the seperate bobbin. Hope that makes sense.

Whoa! Too cool! :cool:

PatrickM

Nomad
Sep 7, 2005
Glasgow
www.backwoodsurvival.co.uk
Hoodoo, you should be able to see better from this photo how the drill works.
The bottom part of the unit is drilled through and just slots over the spindle,
allowing it to spin freely when cord is twisted around it.

This system of bow drill is quite versatile, allowing you to try out many different types of drill-heads

flintdrillbit002crop.jpg

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Can we have a tutorial on that drill please!! That is a beauty, so elegant and yet practical. I really like it.

I remember the needle on Bushcraft, it looks exactly the same as the one you have made, I can just imagine people making them in this method years ago. Fantastic!

daved

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
London
Patrick,

Fantastic set of tutorials - looking forward to the next!

You are using flint tools to work on the antler - is this because you want to use "primitive"/traditional tools or does flint just work better for this type of job?(Looking at the pictures of your drill, I don't think I could ever describe that as primitive - very impressive!)

I was wondering whether it would be possible to burn out the eye-hole in the needle with a hot needle (errrm :confused: ) or similar?

Dave

~Dan~

Sep 19, 2005
once again patrick :) beautifully done and such a great tutorial gladly looking forward to the next one :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE