Antarctic/arctic kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
I'm looking for kit makers (companys) that make gear for seriously cold weather, my first thoughts were the north face but if anyone can suggest anything good please put them down! I need as many options as possible so all welcome!
cheers wilderbeast

EDIT: looking especially for people with experience of the kit and people that have to use this stuff everyday, i'm thinking of some of our alaskan /swedish friends!!

wasteoid

Forager
Jan 6, 2006
uxbridge
With experience I have been most impressed with wool wool wool.

I used Falke merino thermals (TKMaxx) Dutch halfwool tops, Submarine wool socks (white with red bands round), German insulated moleskins (ebay), swanndri skipper shirt, merino jumper.

Non - wool stuff, snugpak softie elite jacket, british army softie clone trousers, Swedish army white over trousers. I also took british army goretex trousers and jacket both of which worked well, but in retrospect I should have taken the swedish army white top / ventile layer instead / as well. British army goretex gaiters (absolutely must have!!!). Lowe alpine mountain cap (perfect) in goretex.

Gloves, british army leather gloves (extra proofing) and for v extremes, woolpower 600 mittens with leather outers (woodlore)

I wore a pair of matterhorn winter goretex boots (ebay again) - and these were the business.

For the most part i wore the following:

Head - mountian cap
Neck - trek mates buff type thing
Merino under crackers
Base layer - falke thermals
second layer - dutch half wool
third thermal - swanndri shirt
base layer legs - falke thermals
second thermal layer - german insulated trousers
socks - 1 thick pair 1 thin pair (both high % wool)
boots,
Gaiters
swedish army whites over trouser end
British army goretex jacket
british army leather gloves

I only really resorted to putting on the snugpak gear when we used snow machines, or had to stand around for periods (not very often). I also took north face Mcmurdo, but again only really needed to use it on the snow machine, and in truth I could have done without it by layering the snugpak over the wool, and topping with the goretex.

I was told / found out that goretex does not function well below -10, but i never really had any problems down below -25 (bit of condensation around wrists). As said, I would and will swap this out for a wind proof cotton next time i go to the very cold, either in ventile or something very like.

My experience for what it's worth.

Chris

OhCanada

Forager
Feb 26, 2005
Eastern Canada
Just remember that there is wet/cold conditions and dry/cold conditions. Also, what works at -10 C may not work at -40 C. Artic gear is not always best for other cold locations.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
I recently read that modern reproductions (using the same materials) of early mountaineers clothing had proven to be more efficient than all the modern high tech materials available!

The clothing was reproduced from samples taken from the bodies of mountaineers that had failed to return safely, the tests proved that it was not the clothing choice, or materials, which had contributed to the loss of the mountaineers on that expedition.

I'll try and dig out the link to the story, it was certainly an eye opener!

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
I have lived on spitzbergen for quite some time. I have written a lot on what I used. Search. Most people on antartcica are scientist, and don't need any real special kit, the have heated band wagons and heated tents/barracks/research vessels. Norrøna has supplied clothing for a couple of arctic and antarctic expeditions. I didn't feel any need for any special winterkit most of the time. Going on snow mobiles, I used a snow mobile suit and snow mobile shoes. Going on skis I used what I normally use in winter (quicker breaks though! no fun stopping for coffee in -42 and slight breeze!).

Another guy who knows his cold weather clothing is a Norweigan fella called Rune Gjeldnes. He has crossed both the arctic and antarctica solo, unsupported. Along with travels both on greenland and spitzbergen. He used bergan clothing on antarctica, with dermizax membrane. So much for ventile in cold weather, eyh? You can read about his story on bergans.no under team bergans. I have been on a seminar by him, impressive stuff. Not so much on material things as on the psychic bit.

H

He' s left the building

Personally I would recommend wool base-layer (shirt, leggings, socks) with a mixture of Paramo mid and outer layers.

Traditional clothing (furs and other fabrics) may be used in the area you travel to but would prove expensive to buy before you get there and be heavy to carry. So if you decide to 'go local' I would advise to buy when you get there when you see what the locals wear and where to get it from.

As you will be layered up, when you try stuff on, wear as you will wear it for your trip. Make sure that your base and mid-layers fit snugly then go a size up for outer layers so you allow space for extra mid-layers without compressing the insulation.

I personally prefer one thick insulating layer (like a duvet jacket) but two or three medium layers are more flexible (eg a close-fitting L Buffalo jacket with a larger XXL one over it).

If the temperature is guaranteed to be below freezing then you can go for traditional outer-layers, but be aware that in mild conditions there can be little difference between Northern Scandinavia and the Brecon Beacons, it might just be cold and wet wet wet! :)

edited to add: Mitts and gloves, hats and hoods, spares of each (ie two pairs of thin 'contact' gloves, two pairs insulated waterproof mitts, hoods on at least half of your jackets and two hats), if you lose a glove/hat or get one wet or frozen it can be the precursor to a real epic!

FarPoint

Jan 15, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Hey Wilderbeast-some of the warmest jackets on the planet are made by CAnada Goose company. Here in Canada our Canadian Rangers who do all our northern patrols and live out on the land for weeks at a time in the far north right through the winter and use Canada Goose jackets (slightly modified to hold MREs and a handgun and other kit) as standard equipment. They are a little cumbersome however if you are being very active like skiing all the time.
FarPoint

-All those who wander are not lost-JRR Tolkien

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
Another guy who knows his cold weather clothing is a Norweigan fella called Rune Gjeldnes. He has crossed both the arctic and antarctica solo, unsupported. Along with travels both on greenland and spitzbergen. He used bergan clothing on antarctica, with dermizax membrane. So much for ventile in cold weather, eyh? You can read about his story on bergans.no under team bergans. I have been on a seminar by him, impressive stuff. Not so much on material things as on the psychic bit.

Just for the record, his trip over the north pole was not solo, but with his old teammate Torry Larsen.

Bergans is known to sponsor a lot of extreme (and not so extreme) expeditions. It is good buisness for them.
Then to claim that Bergans dermizax is better than ventile in the arctic/antarctica because an sponsored expedition used it isn`t necessary right:) .
We do know that it works well enough though.

That said I use Bergans with dermizax membrane myself, and I`m very pleased with it. I`ve used it in temperatures down to -30 degrees celsius.
How breathable it is in these temperatures (or at all) could be discussed, but it is as good as my old cotton M50 army jacket.
Under this I wear wool. Usually a mix of brands; Ullfrotte, Troll tekstil (army stuff), Devold and Dale.

Tor

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Just for the record, his trip over the north pole was not solo, but with his old teammate Torry Larsen.

Bergans is known to sponsor a lot of extreme (and not so extreme) expeditions. It is good buisness for them.
Then to claim that Bergans dermizax is better than ventile in the arctic/antarctica because an sponsored expedition used it isn`t necessary right:) .
We do know that it works well enough though.

That said I use Bergans with dermizax membrane myself, and I`m very pleased with it. I`ve used it in temperatures down to -30 degrees celsius.
How breathable it is in these temperatures (or at all) could be discussed, but it is as good as my old cotton M50 army jacket.
Under this I wear wool. Usually a mix of brands; Ullfrotte, Troll tekstil (army stuff), Devold and Dale.

Tor

Yeah, I wasn't totally serious about the ventile. I know it's good, I've used klättermusen nunatak on spitzbergen and liked it a lot. But the most worn out cliché about membranes in cold weather is that they are useless, and I think Rune proves that this isn't the case.

+1 on devold, a underestimated brand (at least here). Tor helge, have you've tried brynje net thermals?

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I'm looking for kit makers (companys) that make gear for seriously cold weather

Some of the Bushcraft schools provide downloadable info packs for their arctic and winter courses, these provide recommendations for clothing and other useful information.

Woodsmoke's 'Winter Bushcraft' can be download from here

Woodlore used to provide one but the link has been removed from their site :(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE