Answer a question to ask a question!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I'm gonna dive in on this one.
A few spark burnt hole around the periphery of your tarp won't make too much difference to the amount of rain it keeps off you. But if you get too many, it could tear or leak too much which would be detrimental. Best to keep fires and tarps seperate if you can.
Now then here goes with an easy one, Whats the difference, and how can I easily tell, between sedges and long grass?

ATB

Ogri the trog

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
blast from the past as this is a good thread
cant answer your question though, sorry mate
leon

Ogri the trog Now then here goes with an easy one said:
Fromerly Graminaea now Poacea
The flowers are not unlike those of the sedge. They are enclosed by a pair of scales called glumes, and are grouped together into spikelets; either singly, in pairs or several together and enclosed by another pair of scales.

In true sedges (Carex), which form the largest genus, the flowers are of only one sex and are most often grouped into separate spikes which are either wholly male or wholly female. These spikes are easily distinguishable; the males bear pollen and the females swell to produce small nuts as they become ripe, and in Carex the male is usually on top of the flowerhead.

:lmao: ;)

Where can I get (to grow in the garden for my own use) Wild Lettuce- Lactuca ludoviciana the most amazing bushcraft medicinal plant?
The only safe native plant to be used as a painkiller in Northern Europe.
:)

silvergirl

Nomad
Jan 25, 2006
Angus,Scotland
Ogri the trog said:
Now then here goes with an easy one, Whats the difference, and how can I easily tell, between sedges and long grass?
w00dsmoke has given a very detailled answer, I was just going to say I tought sedges had triangular stems (well three sided stems, if you know what I mean) (too much wine :rolleyes: )

As too Lactuca ludoviciana I didn't think it was Native to the UK (will have to do some research)

silvergirl

Nomad
Jan 25, 2006
Angus,Scotland
w00dsmoke said:
I think i may have quoted the latin name for the american wild lettuce but there definatley was a North European one. :rolleyes:

Western Wild lettuce by the looks of it !

Blue Lettuce ( lactuca tatarica?) seems to be the most common growing in the UK, looks very like blue sow thistle to me. look along hedgerows in late summer, if you can't find an alternative source.

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Hi Woodsmoke,

i'm afraid i'll have to 'fess up, i don't have an answer, but i might know someone who does,

http://www.wildlettuce.com/

Hopefully someone may be able to help!

I'm hoping this allows me to ask a question in return (i'm sure if can't, someone will let me know)

What is the best book for tree and plant identification? I would need something pocket sized and hard wearing.

Many thanks,

Jedadiah

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
well if your looking for pocket sized you cant go wrong with the collins gem 'trees' book
now my turn - what is the commenest tree in britain ?
leon

andyn

Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Suppose it depends which part of the british isles you are referring to Leon, as I doubt its the same throughout.

I would take a stab in the dark with Oak being the most common in England. But up in Scotland - Spruce or Pine perhaps? No idea about the other areas. :eek:

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
A. i learnt most of my bushcraft on here and from kevin (fenlander) but practice also helped lol

Q. not really that bushcrafty but what jobs do the forestry commision offer ?
leon

J

JonM

A) Boil it....

Q) Anyone know a good book or web resource for identifying NA trees by winter keys? (i.e. Bark & twigs only)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE