Another tasty winter soup recipe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

R3XXY

Settler
Jul 24, 2009
Crewe
Leek soup this time, been experimenting with this one and have finally found a really good mixture of ingredients in the right quantities.

You will need:

Olive oil
An onion
Three leeks
Half a swede
As large a carrot as you can find
A small potato
Half a parsnip
Half a bulb of garlic
Sea salt
A hand blender and / or potato masher

Sweat the onions and finely chopped garlic in a pan with some oil, with the lid on over a low heat, give them a stir now and again.

While they're cooking chop your leeks and dice all your other veg but keep the swede separate from the rest.

Once the onions have softened after about 10 - 15 minutes add about 700ml of boiling water, the diced swede and two teaspoons of seasalt.

Leave it to simmer gently with the lid on for about ten minutes then add the carrot, parsnip and potato.

After another ten minutes add the leeks, put the lid back on and cook for 20 minutes.

Turn off the heat, take out two ladels of chunks and put them into a bowl, then get busy with the potato masher on the rest of your mixture, keep at it till you have a fine mulchy texture. You can leave it at that if you like it quite homely and rustic or you can take out half of it and blend it till it's smooth.

Add your bowl of chunks.

Enjoy :)

Last edited:

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
That sounds good.

I'm typing this between mouthfuls of a basic fry-up involving some oyster mushrooms I found on a poplar log at work. I've just fried them up, chopped, with some onion, bacon, garlic, and parsley, and added some home made tomato catsup at the end.

Great warming food.

R3XXY

Settler
Jul 24, 2009
Crewe
Yes I can imagine, or a chicken stock would really bring out all the flavours. I'm a veggie though so I keep it to just vegetables.

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
One I nicked from HFW- it's a great winter soup.

Ingredients
• 50g butter
• 1 celeriac, peeled and cubed
• 1 potato, peeled and cubed
• 1 leek, trimmed, washed and roughly sliced
• 1 onion, peeled and roughly chopped
• 1 garlic clove, sliced
• 1 litre stock, chicken, vegetable or made from the bones of your Christmas bird
• Parsley & walnut pesto to serve
Method
1. Melt the butter in a large, heavy-based pot over a medium-low heat. Add the celeriac, leek, potato, garlic and onion, season generously, and gently sweat the vegetables until they're all starting to soften (this will take about 10 minutes).
2. Add the stock, bring the soup up to a boil, turn down the heat and simmer for about 20 minutes or until the celeriac is completely tender. Liquidise until smooth, return to the pan and reheat over a medium flame. Just before serving, check the soup for seasoning and serve with a drizzle of pesto.

NB – I used 2 litres of stock with 1 very large celeriac and 1 large potato and I didn't bother with the pesto. I used a lot of pepper to give it a bot of a spicy kick and it turned out really well.,

Thanks for the Leek recipe, I will give that a whirl.

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
hi harvestman those mushrooms are gonna get you in trouble one day lol sounds nice though im a stew man myself yummy regards dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE