Another of those, if only you were allowed one, posts. SAK preference

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mikehill

Settler
Nov 25, 2014
Warrington
love the tools, particularly on the farmer. Hate the blade though. My Boker city is so much better. If they ever make a a saw, awl blade and a can opener I'd be set.

Whats wrong with the blade ? I've owned a Farmer for around 5 years now and it's the only one I now have, love it !

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Ignoring things like legalities, just for the purposes of this thread, I would pick the Trekker locking model.
If however it has to be UK legal EDC I usually go for the Huntsman or Hiker - I have Farmers, but generally find the alox doesn't grip as nicely as the red plastic scales.

Dave

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
I prefer to keep it simple with a SAK. If it isn't small and light then you might as well carry a leatherman style tool instead and if the body gets too think it makes the tools harder to use and the grip less comfy. The alox farmer is almost perfect for me but it's annoying having to carry a separate tweezers. I like the tool range of the huntsman but it's too big.

My perfect SAK would be an alox farmer, in orange, with pocket clip, one handed opening, bullnose blade and maybe a small blade instead of the can opener. under £25 too please. If it's too expensive I probably wouldn't carry it in case I lost it :rolleyes:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
SAK, I think the model is "Prince." Two blades, awl & corkscrew, toothpick & tweezers, flat screw blades, openers(?).
I don't care about the cost anymore. Have lost two, carrying #3, use it daily for one thing or another.
All of my denim jeans for decades show that same worn oval on the LH pocket.

Everything else looks so bulky for what I could get at any price.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
The tooth pick is useless. Too soft, too blunt.
The tweezers are not much better, just a little bit to small and weak.
Not that it matters how these two are as I always lose them!

A SAK was the first knife I gave to my son, he was 5.

I should add that my wife carries one of the small ones in her handbag since years and years!

Feb 28, 2017
Czech Republic
I really like the Pioneer.
I had to remove the keyring nub as it pushed uncomfortably into my hand, but apart from that it is great.
It's light, durable, thin, the awl is great as is the sturdier blade ... and I use the can opener for opening cork on wine bottles so I don't miss the corkscrew.

PS: I also bought the Farmer - and I must say while I prefer how thin the Pioneer is I would have been carrying the Farmer more because of the woodsaw, but the springs seems to be noticeably weaker than the springs on the Pioneer. Anybody here has the same experience? Is it normal in the alox line to have a large difference in spring strength between the knives?

Mick721

Oct 29, 2012
Sunderland
I've got a farmer and a soldier both alox. I tend to carry the farmer more. Could do with a secondary small blade on there too though.

Big G

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
My main user now is a SAK Workchamp.. it's a big beast and not a EDC has a lockable blade.

Ideal for jobs around the house or take out on a wildcamp as your only bladed "Multi-Tool".

Sieddy

Nov 12, 2016
Oxford uk
Yes, would be the Farmer for me to.

Hoping that they release the Farmer in Olive Green which going to be the 2017 special Alox colour.

Another new SAK coming soon that has my attention is the wooden handled Forester. Same set of tools + corkscrew in the next size up, 110mm.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQvFZ0uDToW/

Very excited about the prospect of a OD Farmer and the wood handled Forester looks the dogs too! (now if they'd only do a one handed opening version!?!) :rolleyes:

Sieddy

Nov 12, 2016
Oxford uk
I carry the Sportsman in the office (perfect pocket size), the Spartan at home and the Farmer whilst out for a walk (the saw is totally awesome!). I've just got a classic signature for work as it's not appropriate to carry a pocket knife there at present.
The Farmer is the one I couldn't be without!

PiterM

Tenderfoot
Jul 7, 2009
Poland
My custom Ti Farmer, no doubt:

biesy2015-151.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE