Another of those, if only you were allowed one, posts. SAK preference

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Anyone who knows me, will know I am something of a fan of the humble SAK, I have several of them as I expect a lot of people here have given that they are extaordinary value for money.

I did however think today that I had brought the wrong one out for a particular task due to the differences between the reamer, punch, awl tool, call it what you will.

Now here is the challenge, if you had to forsake all your other Swiss Army Knives and carry one only, which would it be?

Personally I would opt for the Farmer, my reasons are that the blade is the most robust of them all and it seems to be stronger alltogether than the plastic handled ones, it is quite compact, and the reamer/punch doodah works best the way it is configured in line rather on the back.

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Yes, would be the Farmer for me to.

Hoping that they release the Farmer in Olive Green which going to be the 2017 special Alox colour.

Another new SAK coming soon that has my attention is the wooden handled Forester. Same set of tools + corkscrew in the next size up, 110mm.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQvFZ0uDToW/

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Pioneer for me, because I don't have a Farmer (yet). I like the sturdier tools and stronger backspring. The alox model finds itself in my pocket more than my Huntsman, or my Wenger Evo 10. But a Farmer is on my wish list, especially if I can get one in a nice colour.

bigboned

Forager
Feb 17, 2016
Ireland
I have the silver alox farmer, but wanted the alox pioneer ( that is the one with the 2nd slightly curved blade in place of can opener?)
I used to use a hiker but alas it went missing

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
I have the silver alox farmer, but wanted the alox pioneer ( that is the one with the 2nd slightly curved blade in place of can opener?)
I used to use a hiker but alas it went missing

Pioneer Harvester is a Farmer with the hook blade instead of a can opener.
Pioneer Rancher is a Farmer without the saw and hook blade instead of a can opener.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I have had a SAK ln my pocket for nearly 70 years. I loved my Rucksack knife but when it wore out, I replaced it with a Wenger Evo 17 I got cheap and am now non-locking legal, but the camper is what I have carried most because of the blades combination. Next time I replace my SAK it will be another Camper.

Magentus

Settler
Oct 1, 2008
West Midlands
Another big fan of the SAK here. I modded a Woodsman and replaced the small blade with the in-line awl from the FarmerSI 93mm line to make my perfect urban/country SAK. It has the large blade, woodsaw, scissors, in -line awl, in-line philips, mag glass, tweezers, tooth pick, pen and straight pin. Covers pretty much everything I need:
WP_20161218_004 by magpie2112, on FlickrWP_20161218_002 by magpie2112, on FlickrWP_20161219_001 by magpie2112, on Flickr

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
I currently just have a Camper which is pretty useful but i keep casting my eyes over the Handyman

61VTpI13nXL._SL1000_.jpg

Magentus

Settler
Oct 1, 2008
West Midlands
The Handyman is really packed with tools - It's one of the few with 5 back tools, though my experience is that the chisel isn't very handy. Apart from that though it's a useful set of tools.

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
I've got a farmer and a ranger, the ranger is identical to the handyman without the mini pliers.
I wasn't convinced the pliers would be useful please correct me if I'm wrong.

I have used the chisel on it, once in anger so to speak, it worked very well considering. I'd probably use it more if/when I start doing more whittling.
I bought a little corkscrew screwdriver and found a little map pin that fits it nicely.
I keep the small blade as sharp as possible.
I attached a little whistle and light to it and it sits in my pocket all day every day.
The only thing I would like extra would be a nice Phillips screwdriver.

The farmer lives in my possibles pouch, I trust the blade more and the saw is better. The ranger goes everywhere with me.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
love the tools, particularly on the farmer. Hate the blade though. My Boker city is so much better. If they ever make a a saw, awl blade and a can opener I'd be set.

bigboned

Forager
Feb 17, 2016
Ireland
Thanks for that- pioneer harvester in purple alox is what I want then

I also thought about dulling the awl blade to use it as like a marlin spike for wet paracord knots etc - QR/ slip knots are one thing but I always find some knots that are a bugger to release

Oo and maybe swap out the can opener instead of the bottle opener.....

Can the alox range be modded to create custom combinations? Is anyone doing it?

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE