Another Newbie from Suffolk

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Hi folks,

I've been a sometime lurker here for a while and have been impressed enough to sign up and post. I've been interested in craft skills, forestry, landscape interpretation, bushcraft and all sorts of related subjects for many years, but am only recently doing anything about it. I've done a basic bushcraft course, along with basic coppicing and I will be doing some basic hedgelaying this winter.

Like all of you who began to tread this path I am seeing the world around me through new eyes every day, whether it was the realisation that I had identified my first animal trail, lit my first fire or recognised a new tree.

As my username suggests, I have discovered the delights of natural string and cordage, and am currently leaving trails of fibres around the house!

I'm sure I will learn shedloads from just reading what others have to say, but you never know; one day I might just be able to contribute something myself...

:)

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Again, thanks for the welcomes.

I hope to be able to contribute as well as learn from you guys.

My attempts at string making are already improving with each session; it's the simple process of learning a new skill by trial and error that I find engaging. I have gathered plenty of raw materials (nettle stems and yukka leaves), so by Christmas everyone will be getting something wrapped with home made Suffolk string!

On that subject, I have a monster sunflower stem in my garage which looks to be one big mass of fibres but I can't strip them without them breaking. Any sunflower string experts out there?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE