Another improvised garden forge

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
As I've mentioned before, the devil,makes work for idle hands and with a bit of spare time at my disposal, I've definitely had my interest in metal "smithing" re kindled :rolleyes: recently and I needed something to serve as a small forge for heating up my "stock" of old files and bits of spring of various types, so came up with this:
[video=youtube;POYB52OUm4c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POYB52OUm4c&list=UURdd L3mkjOvJ3tAtVHpW-XQ[/video]

Very simple really, a perforated box I made at work, quite a few years ago now as a small barbeque/firebox, a piece of scaffolding bar I got off the local scrap man, an old hot air gun and some charcoal ( in this case briquettes-all I could get hold of locally), the damp rag is to slow down the melting of the hot air guns plastic housing!:yikes:

It works but it's slow and I think a vacuum cleaner on "blow" would be a better bet for a fan but for the amount of work I'm doing, it's okay for now;)

tom.moran

Settler
Nov 16, 2013
Swindon, Wiltshire
Looks ok that does,I'm currently gathering materials to build.my own. Got a gas cylinder, an angle grinder and a drill so far. Need an anvil and a blower then I can start building it. It's going to be my winter project :-D

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
get a hair dyer to it instead of the hot air gun, it will cost you less in leccy and provide better air. Also get rid of those bloody briquettes! They are no good or cooking on and no good for forging in!!! If you can't find proper charcoal, or forge coke, then bitumous coal, anthracite or even plain wood work better than those nasty things!

Otherwise, good work on the forge! It does what it needs to afterall :D

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Forgot to post up the results!:eek:

The whole of the latest batch

These were all smaller files, the top one is half round and really didn't work out as I'd hoped, although the bottom two are more what I was working toward.

took a little while to get the "ramshorn" effect I was after but the bottom one here's, about where I wanted to be.
I might well fire up the forge again this afternoon and re-do the top three;)

the range of old trademarks is quite interesting in itself, here from left to right are: "Nicholson Holland" (crossed files), then "Saben, Sandblast", "Bedford Sheffield" (rampant lion),"E.S.C. Sheffield" just plain and finally "Tyzack & Sons Sheffield" (with a huntsman on horse back)

And finally for now;

There's loads of scope in the range of designs that are possible, it mostly boils down to imagination, grinding and shaping, time involved and the limitations of the piddly little forge set up I'm using.

Thanks again

Steve

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE