Another Hobo

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
After seeing Wayland's world famous version of a hobo I thought I would give it a try and emulate it kinda. Here is the results.
Raw materials I started with, then the tools needed, I first cut the fire slot for feeding with fuel. I then cut holes to fit all the attachements handles and the likes then fitted the whole thing together

Attachments

• Accessories.jpg
    Accessories.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 327
  • Tools.jpg
    Tools.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 322
  • Slot.jpg
    Slot.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 320
  • Holes.jpg
    Holes.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 321
  • Bits On.jpg
    Bits On.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 333

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
With everything fitted I first tried it with a pop can stove and used the fairly standard it would seem 500 ml of cold tap water and as soon as the stove primed up I popped on the billy, 7 minutes later it had come to a rolling boil.

Attachments

• Pop Can.jpg
    Pop Can.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 322
  • Meths burn.jpg
    Meths burn.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 320
  • Rolling Boil1.jpg
    Rolling Boil1.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 321

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Just as a bit of a comparison I then used some wood from a bit of skirting I had lying about, ok it's not twigs but it is wood. It brought it to a fast rolling boil in about 5 minutes.
The billy fits inside the burner very snugly and the whole thing weighs next to nothing. My next task is to make a bag to fit it into along with the pop can stove and the fencing wire as the bale arm which all fits inside the billy along with some brew kit.
Hope you like it, not bad for half an hour work with the grinder, screwdriver, and a pair of pliers.

Attachments

• Wood burn.jpg
    Wood burn.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 322
  • Roll Boil.jpg
    Roll Boil.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 318
  • Complete.jpg
    Complete.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 319

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
That fox is not very gun savvy!

Appears he forgot to load and chamber another round, as the bolt's still open!

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
Looks like a great hobo stove!
You couldn't be bothered to check some exact weights, could you? Might be an interesting alternative to my trangia when going light...

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Sorry Lasse2 I don't have any way of checking, however I also have the trangia but it would'nt be a great comparison. This is really only for a brew, although you could cook in the "billy", it's not really a huge size. 500ml of water is about 2/3 up the container to give some idea of size, perfectly ok for a tin of bangers and beans or just cooking for 1. As for weight I would guess about the same but the hobo is less than half the size. The same supermarket also had the same type of SS container as the "billy" coffee cannister but slightly smaller so buying it could provide a "nesting set" which could be used to brew and cook without the need for washing out in between heating. The cost of the cannisters were about £2.78 each, so may be worth a punt just to play around with.
Hope this answers your question at least partly mate.

craven

Forager
Jan 13, 2008
devon
nice little set there mate, i've had a go at about 3 so far, old tin can one, laser cut stainless steel one (toooo heavy) and the one i currantly use made out of an old stainless tea pot i found at the dump! i love making them, haven't made a set that fits together yet tho, i think that may be my next project!:D

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Nice Stove Sniper.

Making them is kind of addictive, mind you; I get funny looks whilst trying to fit one SS container into another at Wilkinsons:D

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
Sorry Lasse2 I don't have any way of checking, however I also have the trangia but it would'nt be a great comparison. This is really only for a brew, although you could cook in the "billy", it's not really a huge size. 500ml of water is about 2/3 up the container to give some idea of size, perfectly ok for a tin of bangers and beans or just cooking for 1. As for weight I would guess about the same but the hobo is less than half the size. The same supermarket also had the same type of SS container as the "billy" coffee cannister but slightly smaller so buying it could provide a "nesting set" which could be used to brew and cook without the need for washing out in between heating. The cost of the cannisters were about £2.78 each, so may be worth a punt just to play around with.
Hope this answers your question at least partly mate.

Sounds great for solo trips!
Won't be able to give it a try before my exams are over though... :(

Cheers!
Lasse

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Thanks for the kind comments folks, I'm really starting to get the "home make" bug now and considering buying a small welding kit to make more grills for over the fire and stuff. I'll just have to see what comes next, cos I've been inspired to have a go with all the great stuff seen on here made by you folks. Know what you mean Martin I got some strange looks when doing that in the aisle from passing housewives, I reckon they thought I was going to try to escape with 2 and paying for 1.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE