Another gas bottle wood burner

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I rang our lad yesterday to check he was in, before making the 30 mile journey into the sticks, to see what he'd been up to lately. After confirming he would be at home to callers, he added that I might like to bring the camera. I almost always take the camera anyway but I said righto.

It's a few weeks since I was up to see him and he must have got a bit carried away, as this is what he brought out of the shed;
P1170019copy7.jpg

He had been experimenting with making the hotplate area a bit bigger and then went "with the flow":rolleyes:
P1170022copy6.jpg

It needed it's first firing so he fitted the flue extension and set it away
P1170040copy1-1.jpg

The effect you get with the vultures eye is quite interesting

P1170046copy3.jpg

I quite like the owl too!

His next project is apparently going to be a "Wood Spirit" themed stove, complete with the same glowing eyes, as well as nostrils I expect:D

I asked how long it took to do the decoration, "Oh not long really, once you set away" was the reply.

As with the other stoves he's made; it was soon glowing red, at full tilt. Closing the damper at the front, calms it down nicely though.

I'm still waiting for one but I'm not in any rush, as I'll need to bash a hole in the garage wall for the flue!.

Cheers
R.B.

Drongo

Aug 19, 2008
Lisburn
I've tried unsuccessfully to remove the valve of a gas cylinder...

Other than it's a back to front thread, any other tips...?

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I've tried unsuccessfully to remove the valve of a gas cylinder...

Other than it's a back to front thread, any other tips...?

I try to be elsewhere when He's faffing on with a fresh bottle:D

I'll ask but I'm not sure it is a "back to front thread" I know he said that they are fitted with some sort of sealant, which pretty much locks the top in place and it takes quite a bit of effort to get it moving:confused:

As I say, I'll find out and get back to you;)
cheers
R.B.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
There was a gas bottle floating in the canal today right next to where I`d parked my car. I tried to free it from the reeds with a dead sycamore branch but it wasn`t going anywhere :(

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Also interested in finding out about removing the valve, I really like the detailing on that, the "eye" feature is nice..

I also like the seat its on, the fallen tree.

BossCat

Tenderfoot
Dec 11, 2008
Scotland
Drongo and JohnC, to remove valve from 13kg gas bottle turn it ANTICLOCKWISE" trust me i'm a gynaECOlogist" :p

Anticlockwise? surely you mean Clockwise.

Putting on a normal nut/bolt - Clockwise ON - Anticlockwise OFF

Gas threads are reversed - Anticlockwise ON - Clockwise OFF

I had this drumed into me when I was an apprentice plumber

To get the regulator off try TIGHTENING it first - This breaks the seal. Then try releasing it.

TC

camping2.gif
Campfire2.gif

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I think you may be talking about different things when it comes to the valve thread. I believe that all threads on gas cylinders are tightened by turning them clockwise. The only thread that tightens by turning it anticlockwise is the hose thread that fastens onto the tap and it's that way round so you don't loosen the main valve thread when you put it on.

Just been out to check on my gas cylinder and that's how mine is!!

BTW Bosscat, I take it you're a SSS fan? Are you getting to one of his tour gigs?

Cheers

BossCat

Tenderfoot
Dec 11, 2008
Scotland
I think you may be talking about different things when it comes to the valve thread. I believe that all threads on gas cylinders are tightened by turning them clockwise. The only thread that tightens by turning it anticlockwise is the hose thread that fastens onto the tap and it's that way round so you don't loosen the main valve thread when you put it on.

Just been out to check on my gas cylinder and that's how mine is!!

BTW Bosscat, I take it you're a SSS fan? Are you getting to one of his tour gigs?

Cheers

You may be right there Broch, I aint got a gas bottle handy to have a look. I just assumed with it being GAS related it would be reversed!

SSS fan? who's SSS may I aks

BTW.... Nice Stove

TC

camping2.gif
Campfire2.gif

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Bosscat - SSS is Seasick Steve who has an album out at the moment called "Started out with nothing and I still got most of it left". It's hobo, blues, folk - great stuff!

Cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE