Another DIY Canvas/Leather Rucksack (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I made a Canvas and leather rucksack a while ago (Here) and while it is now my rucksack of choice on all my bushy trips, it is much too big for carrying my sarnies and suchlike to work. So I thought I'd try my hand at a 20 litre or so variation:

Front view:

rucksack5.jpg

Back view:
rucksack4l.jpg

I used the same 12oz canvas as last time (I bought a 2m length) and 2.5-3.00mm leather, brass buckles and copper rivets.

Inside view:

rucksack8.jpg

Leather bottom to protect against knocks and scrapes:

rucksack7.jpg

I wanted to try my hand at a solid leather lid so I engraved a bushy-type design on it and treated it with umpteen coatings of carnuba cream to give it some kind of waterproofing/protection:

rucksack6.jpg

Modelled by yours truly:

rucksack3.jpg

rucksack2t.jpg

It has turned out to be very comfy to wear and is now my knock-about town/go to the shops/carry my sarnies EDC bag. However, it is still a little large at a "genuine" 20 litres which leads me again to question the designation on some commercial packs. I've been using it for a couple of months now (hence the couple of scrapes) and I lurve it!

Still have a bit of the canvas left over so it's back to the drawing board for Rucksack no 3 :).

Last edited:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
That's a lovely bag Kerne, looks really good on your back as well goodjob

The engraving sets it apart from all the 'normal' packs as well.

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
Kerne very nice it looks great, if you fancy a challenge, look at the French bag that was aquired by Wellingtons troops 200 odd years ago.

Am using my dads bag that he picked up years ago it still has it.

Last edited:

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Nice bag. How comfortable is canvas on your back over longish distances compared to modern synthetic materials?

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Nice bag. How comfortable is canvas on your back over longish distances compared to modern synthetic materials?

I haven't carried this one very far but I put a sitmat in a sleeve inside the back of the other one and this makes it pretty comfy and keeps the contents from stabbing me in the back. I don't find the canvas to have any real problems.

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
Thanks for the comments, folks.

Have you got a pic of this bag?

Sorry I thinking of the French Knapsack used by the rand army, unable to find a painiting sketch of it online.

It was better than the british one. the books on wellingtons army mention it was often aquired

Ts

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE