Another decorated strop commission

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Still WIP, but here's a proof of concept of a design I've been asked to put on a strop. It's Odin riding his eight-legged horse Sleipnir, taken from the Tjangvide image stone found (and currently located) in Sweden (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tjängvide_image_stone).

This is a very fine (by that I mean detailed, rather than a description of my work!) piece of leather carving, particularly when it is inscribed onto a 1 1/4" wide piece of leather.

The image is slightly simplified from the original but, though it isn't very obvious in this picture, I have managed to retain the rider's 'naughty bits'!

Next thing is to dye this just to check that the image shows OK when dyed, and then get onto the real thing.

strop_15.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Geoff

Last edited:

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
when are you going to make anymore strops for sale or do you only do commisions regards dave

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
when are you going to make anymore strops for sale or do you only do commisions regards dave

I do both. If there are no commissions on, then I make one or two to my own decoration and put them up for sale. But if you want one, please PM me and I can put you next on the list. Standard price is £10 delivered, provided the decoration isn't too complex (i.e time consuming!). May be a bit more if you want a complex design.

If you want to see some of the other designs, do a search for some of my other strop threads.

It'll probably be a week or so before I can get onto any new ones while I finish this one.

Thanks for asking.

Geoff

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
And so it progresses. Some images as the tooling goes onto the leather.

This is the most time consuming and delicate part of the operation. Dyeing and sewing will seem like a breeze after this bit!

Thanks for looking.

Geoff

Odin and Sleipnir cut and bevelled, together with one of the knotwork panels.

strop_16.jpg

All of the cutting and bevelling now done.

strop_17.jpg

And finally, the texturing of the background.

strop_18.jpg

TJRoots

Nomad
Jul 16, 2009
East sussex
very nice geoff, makes me want to buy another strop of you (but i only need the one lol). do you do anything else or just strops?

TJ

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Well here it is at last. Though I say it myself, the pictures don't do justice.

The overall strop...

strop_19.jpg

...and the detail of the tooling with Odin, riding Sleipnir, between two patches of knotwork.

strop_20.jpg

This one is wider than my normal ones, due to the amount of tooling. As you can see from one of the earlier pictures, the leather compresses quite a lot, so I needed an untooled border around the main panel.

The strop is finished with a solid brass d-ring, and carnauba wax polishing on the dyed face.

Thanks for looking.

Geoff

Far_Wanderer

Oct 29, 2009
Lancashire, England
Recieved this brilliante strop last week and have used it a couple of times with my different knives with good results. The detailed work done on it is excelent.

Thanks Geoff for this it was well worth the money and the wait.

Andrew

Andyre

Forager
Apr 20, 2007
Abingdon, Oxon
I had the great pleasure in recieving one of Goeff's Strops at the weekend.
mine has a picture of the Uffington white Horse, What can i say?
Geoff you are very talented and the workmanship is brilliant.

Picture to follow.

Thanks Geoff

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE