Another crooked knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Well, I like the things, so I made another one. this one's mine! A leftie tool that fits my hand very nicely.

The handle is made from a piece of really dense, hard Walnut. The blade is 4" long, with a slight curve for most of the length with the curve increasing towards the tip.

This is only the secong pewter ferrule I have cast. It's cast directly onto the handle, the blade is held in place with 2 small screws, so that the blade does not move during casting.

P1030138-1.jpg

P1030140.jpg

P1030142.jpg

There are a couple more pics on my blog, Photobucket is playing me up at the moment.

I keep meaning to do a tutorial on the casting, but I must really get a tripod for the camera, it's just too tricky/dodgy playing with very hot melted pewter and trying to take pics at the same time!

Last edited:

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
My only experiance of pewter is in jewlery where it can be quite soft, how does it stand up to the forces you apply when carving? I think your knife looks stunning.

Last edited:

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
Mt only experiance of pewter is in jewlery where it can be quit soft, how does it stand up to the forces you apply when carving? I think your knife looks stunning.

These knives are really better suited to working green wood, so the forces on them would be less than with dry wood. Having said that, the pewter is quite thick, about 3mm, much thicker than in jewellery, and the casting is really quite strong.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
I am much preferring the shape of the blade to your earlier models, that looks really useful. Have you done much work with it yet?

Thanks Robin. Yes I think this blade is going to be more practical for general purpose work. I haven't had time yet to do much woek, no. I have had a bit of a go on some pine but I need to get my hands on some green Ash, as I'd like to have a go at making a bow with just an axe and crooked knife.

Gorgeous dude. Please, Please, Please put up your casting tutorial. I'll pdf it if you have no objections

Who could resist such a demand! No, I have no objections at all. I'll be looking for a tripod in the next day or so.

Thats a great crook knife, do you produce them to sell? if so how much? beautifull work on the handle by the way

Thanks! I'll PM you shortly.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE