Annual revision of first aid kit, what do you carry?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi guys,

I have just been doing my yearly first aid revision to keep what i think is the most important skill up to scratch. After being on a few first aid courses and providing first aid for a few casualties i still find myself adding things to my fist aid kit. Here is my current list, let me know what you have maybe this year it will be that good i won't change anything next year :)

cuts
1. several plasters of various sizes
2. 2 x trauma bandages
3. 20 Steri Strips (added today, recommended by a friend after watching him use them on a head wound, the doctors at the hospital thought the injured person had already seen a doctor as such a good job was done!)
4. Savlon antiseptic wash 100ml (replaced antiseptic wipes, added today)

Hypothermia and diabetes
5. boiled sweets
6. energy drink sachet
7. small bag of mixed nuts and dried fruit

Burns
8. Cling film (I Cut off the end of cling film roll about 1.5 inch wide, this is considered sterile as it has never been unwrapped)

Heart attack/chest complaint
9. Aspirin tablets

Eye problems
10. 2 x eye wash tubes

Resuscitation
11. Face shield (although the British heart foundation now argue not to use rescue breaths, may remove for something else)
12. fabric scissors- assistant to remove clothing during cpr before defibrillator arrives.

Asthma
13. Inhaler (i'm not asthmatic myself but i carry one in-case someone forgets theirs) (i'm unsure whether on not it would be illegal to give to someone as it is prescribed, nevertheless it would cause no harm for someone having an asthma attack to inhale and therefor can only do good)

14. Tweezers (for ticks, splinters ect)

Headaches and swelling
15. Ibuprofen tablets

16. This is all kept in a bright 1.5ltr dry bag clearly marked first aid.

I also carry a bivvy bag, spare food and water and warm kit to prevent hypothermia. You may have to spend longer than you think in the outdoors even if you are next to a car or building you may not be able to move a casualty. I spent 5 hours waiting for mountain rescue to air lift my friend from the side of a mountain who we couldn't move due to possible spinal injuries. I also carry a head torch for day trips in-case help doesn't arrive until dark.

It would be interesting to see what other people carry, any suggestions to add or remove kit would be greatly appreciated :)

Ste

mholland

Jan 3, 2013
cheltenham
Good list, i've got a life systems mountain first aid kit with a few bits and pieces added, like aspirin. Also added a silver blanket, small knife, sweets, light stick. Fits snug in the base of my bag, easily accessible by side opening

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
A few things I suggest - a proper set of O tom tick hooks (tiny and cheap) and a couple of sachets of water jel burn treatment
and "second skin" for blisters

water-jel-burn-gel-3.5g-sachet-pk3-508-p[ekm]288x288[ekm].jpg

otom-tick-remover_m.jpg

spenco-2nd-skin-dressing-kit.jpg

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Re Rescue Breaths
Resuscitation
11. Face shield (although the British heart foundation now argue not to use rescue breaths, may remove for something else)

I did my First Aid at work refresher course a couple of months back and the whole Vinnie Jones staying alive thing (ie hands only CPR) came up.
The instructor explained that many people are reluctant to try conventional CPR as they think they will do it wrong and may be wary of getting into kissing distance of a complete stranger. The BHF campaign was launched to try and encourage people to have ago as its better than nothing. Standard CPR should always be used where you feel comfortable to do so, 30 compressions to 2 rescue breaths. She also mentioned that unless you break a rib or two your doing it wrong :eek:.

Last edited:

mholland

Jan 3, 2013
cheltenham
Yer i've got those bits, burn gel and compeed, no tick tweezers, just ordinary ones. I also usually carry a sam splint stuffed down beside my platypus

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Useful, thank you. I need to resort mine. I'd also like to know where I might get a course in bushie first aid - do feel I need to.

Talk to Wayne (at Forest Knights) or Hawk on this forum - both are accomplished trainers in first aid

Graveworm

Life Member
Sep 2, 2011
London UK
Resuscitation
As has been said. They only suggest it for those untrained or unwilling, if you know how to do CPR then the face shield is still a very good idea.

EdS

CPR - is still 30 compressions to 2 rescue breaths. The whole thing no breaths in aim at getting over Joe Bloggs reluctance.

Ditch the Asprin - it needs to be 300mg anyway.

Ditch the inhaler - never given anyone drugs, unless you are qualified or they already have them

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
I have been doing first aid courses for years now. Every time they get easier and easer (thank god). The general consensus now seem to be to give the trainee confidence to have a go not to fail them because they have missed a step or cocked up applying a triangular bandage. I have been told many times to never administer drugs of any nature including aspirin and inhalers but personally I do keep drugs in my kit. Most of the time a relative or friend can be given what you have got and they can administer the drugs should they see fit. With asthmatics if you leave it to long the lungs glue together and they are dead. I would rather risk a court visit than see that happen.

Rich83

Sep 6, 2012
Selsey, West Sussex
Re Rescue Breaths

I did my First Aid at work refresher course a couple of months back and the whole Vinnie Jones staying alive thing (ie hands only CPR) came up.
The instructor explained that many people are reluctant to try conventional CPR as they think they will do it wrong and may be wary of getting into kissing distance of a complete stranger. The BHF campaign was launched to try and encourage people to have ago as its better than nothing. Standard CPR should always be used where you feel comfortable to do so, 30 compressions to 2 rescue breaths. She also mentioned that unless you break a rib or two your doing it wrong :eek:.

When I did my last first aid course last year (when I was a coast guard) we were told to get right on the chest compressions. Reason was that unless we thought the person had suffocated or drowned there would be air present within their lungs/blood and that it was most important to get that flowing ASAP. Hope his clears up the why.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Nice List. Could add some more non prescrip drugs? Mine changes dependant on what Im up to. I only take what I can use. Also this is just meant for myself.
At the moment in my waist pack:

finger bandage & splint
ear plugs [not sure how they got in! :p]
cotton wool
3M micropure tape
pain killers. [Voltarol:diclofenac sodium paracetamol and tramadol]
diarrohetic [immodium, and entrocalm tablets for stomach upsets, and diocalm tablets]
aspirin
syringe [for irrigating wounds]
cymex cream [cold sores/cracked lips]
small tube voltarol gel
small tube solaraze [diclofenac sodium burn gel]
cotton ear buds
2 plastic straws sealed at both ends with a lighter, with pottasium permanganate inside.
Anti fungal cream [daktacort, hydrocortisone]
Antihistamine, benadryl allergey relief
small vial friars balsam. [High zinc content tint benz for blisters mainly. Also can be used as an expectorant/inhalant]
4x antibacterial wipes
some waterproof plasters [different sizes]
sterile gauze dressing pads [different sizes. Large trauma dressing included, x5 Regal filmated swabs]
Square cut of absorbent lint.
butterfly sutures
antibiotic [flucloxacillin, [skin] co amoxiclav and amoxicillin [general]
small pack micropure water tablets
small forceps
eye wash & small vial of optrex
surgical gloves
small green tick remover.
sliver gripper tweezers.
Emergency dental kit from Lloyds. [For fillings]

This is basically what Ive been taking for years.
It all fits neatly into a very small aloksack normally in the top of my pack, where its easy to get to.
I should really get some more training so I can take a bit more.
I have a big St Johns ambulance pack, with a load of other stuff in it.
I add other stuff when i need it. And my own meds. Mainly Prednisolone and Methotrexate.

Last edited:
When I did my last first aid course last year (when I was a coast guard) we were told to get right on the chest compressions. Reason was that unless we thought the person had suffocated or drowned there would be air present within their lungs/blood and that it was most important to get that flowing ASAP. Hope his clears up the why.

Re Rescue Breaths

There seems to be conflicting arguments at the moment. Just before Christmas i was in a room with a captain and a second lieutenant who were both medics the captain had studied medicine and the second lieutenant was currently studying medicine, one suggested that rescue breaths should be given where the other said adamantly said that they shouldn't be used. There is obviously air within the lungs and blood, but i suppose the question is how long will this last. I gave CPR to a man when i was a teenager before i had been on a first aid course i had read about it and had seen a few videos, the stench that came back out after the rescue breaths i gave was horrible and made me gag.

Useful, thank you. I need to resort mine. I'd also like to know where I might get a course in bushie first aid - do feel I need to.
I strongly recommend Wilderness first aid Cumbria, you get an wilderness first aid qualification which is recognised across the UK outdoor industry.

Ditch the Asprin - it needs to be 300mg anyway.

it is 300mg

syringe [for irrigating wounds]
Think i will add a syringe, i could do with being able to squirt water into wounds instead of pouring it on, and then spray the savlon on.

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Think i will add a syringe, i could do with being able to squirt water into wounds instead of pouring it on, and then spray the savlon on.

I'd consider dropping the savlon and using diluted PP or Iodone Tincture, drawn into the syringe, then squirt into/onto the wound. Both those can be used for a variety of other treatments. Water purification/Fungal infections etc. [glycerine and PP for fire?]

Are you quite clued up on your medicinal plants then? [I've seen a couple of your Youtube vids. Very Enjoyable. :You_Rock_ ]

Were you planning on supplementing your FAK by finding and using natural remedies, to treat diarrohea, headaches, pain relief, etc?

Last edited:

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
In addition to all the usual stuff, in my group FAK (School & Scout usage) I carry a few Casualty Cards and an Incident Report, in a zip lock bag.

The idea is that I can log nature of injuries on the cas card, and if needed send the completed incident report with the person calling Mountain Rescue / 999. Cas cards can then be handed over to the professionals when they arrive.

I also have a small torch and a couple of glow sticks in my FAK.

Simon

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
There seems to be conflicting arguments at the moment. Just before Christmas i was in a room with a captain and a second lieutenant who were both medics the captain had studied medicine and the second lieutenant was currently studying medicine, one suggested that rescue breaths should be given where the other said adamantly said that they shouldn't be used. There is obviously air within the lungs and blood, but i suppose the question is how long will this last. I gave CPR to a man when i was a teenager before i had been on a first aid course and gave cpr as i had red about it and had seen a few videos, the stench that came back out after the rescue breaths i gave was horrible and made me gip.

I've asked before re this and got different answers, I suppose under the situation, something is better than nothing and compressions without breaths is better than a bad breathing technique - or as has been the case in the past someone hyperventilating themselves doing the breaths and having to stop the compressions as they recover.

You also have to consider how much Oxygen you breath out and that all your realy trying to do is keep things flowwing until help arrives - I've yet to read a report where someone has been revived just by CPR

(would be interested to read it if it has happened - evidence based rather than news paper clipping ;)

As for the kit my 1st aid kit has alot of stuff I would only use on me or my nearest and dearest....

In addition to all the usual stuff, in my group FAK (School & Scout usage) I carry a few Casualty Cards and an Incident Report, in a zip lock bag.

The idea is that I can log nature of injuries on the cas card, and if needed send the completed incident report with the person calling Mountain Rescue / 999. Cas cards can then be handed over to the professionals when they arrive.
This would be useful, i have logged someones pulse before on a mobile phone but a casualty card and a pencil would be great in-case the phone is damaged.

I'd consider dropping the savlon and using diluted PP or Iodone Tincture, drawn into the syringe, then squirt into/onto the wound. Both those can be used for a variety of other treatments. Water purification/Fungal infections etc. [glycerine and PP for fire?]

Are you quite clued up on your medicinal plants then? [I've seen a couple of your Youtube vids. Very Enjoyable. :You_Rock_ ]

Were you planning on supplementing your FAK by finding and using natural remedies, to treat diarrohea, headaches, pain relief, etc?

Nice, i'll look into PP and Iodine Tincture. The syringe is a must by the looks of it :)

I'm glad you like my videos :)

I have treated diarrhoea with tormentil before when i was in the lake district, such a marvelous medicine plant.
i'm focusing mainly on the life threatening cases where first aid is needed, i have ibuprofen which can be used for pain relief.

Ste

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE